Wenge on a guitar neck?

I've also been kinda wondering if I can get Wenge on an angled headstock (like the jackson) since it doesn't show up in the builder.

I don't see why not, but I would call and ask.  Wenge is really strong and nasty stuff, so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to take it.  I'm building a neck for my first diy build right now out of it and it's tougher than anything I've seen before.

AGWAN said:
I've also been kinda wondering if I can get Wenge on an angled headstock (like the jackson) since it doesn't show up in the builder.
You can, I have one being made now

I like the Wenge-ness

but I also like colorful bodies!

a big brown stick on a fire engine red body just...  NEEDS SOMETHING TO TIE IT IN!

fourdogslong said:
I'm also really curious about this wood combo for a guitar neck.
I'm about to build a les paul type of guitar from warmoth.
I'm pretty sure I want an ebony fingerboard (still not 100% sure about the fingerboard) with a mahogany/maple top body because I really like the Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar and that's what it uses.
The neck on the custom isn't fat though and I don't like the chambered body with the gold hardware, that's why I wanna custom build it.

I wouldn't mind to choose a mahogany neck with ebony fingerboard as far as tone is concerned but on the neck builder page there is no option to have either a black or transparent brown finish for the neck...
Also it seems like a raw neck would be a nice thing to have, just not sure which wood to choose.
I want it to be dark looking and also to sound full and powerful like a les paul should.

Anybody wanna help me with this?
Thanks, btw I just found this forum and it seems pretty nice.

Anybody?

fourdogslong said:
fourdogslong said:
I'm also really curious about this wood combo for a guitar neck.
I'm about to build a les paul type of guitar from warmoth.
I'm pretty sure I want an ebony fingerboard (still not 100% sure about the fingerboard) with a mahogany/maple top body because I really like the Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar and that's what it uses.
The neck on the custom isn't fat though and I don't like the chambered body with the gold hardware, that's why I wanna custom build it.

I wouldn't mind to choose a mahogany neck with ebony fingerboard as far as tone is concerned but on the neck builder page there is no option to have either a black or transparent brown finish for the neck...
Also it seems like a raw neck would be a nice thing to have, just not sure which wood to choose.
I want it to be dark looking and also to sound full and powerful like a les paul should.

Anybody wanna help me with this?
Thanks, btw I just found this forum and it seems pretty nice.

Anybody?

Hey, welcome aboard.  Glad you're here.

A couple things:

Colored finishes on necks will render them unreturnable, I think.  But you can pay the upcharge to get it done.  Your best bet is to (all together now) CALL WARMOTH if you have questions you want answered by someone who is really knowledgeable about the inside workings of warmoth.  Wenge doesn't need a finish, and further, you'll incur the collective wrath of this board if you paint a wenge neck.  See the thread I initiated called "HOw not to do it" in the "General Discussion" forum.

If you want your guitar to be very similar to a Les Paul, a wenge neck ain't the way to go.  But there are folks on this board (Orpheo comes to mind) who have gone that route and had good results.  Search for his threads.  Also, I think you'll find wenge heavier than mahogany, so if weight is an issue for you, you'll want to put that in your calculations.

Finally, if you bump a thread after only one day of waiting, and that day happens to be on Thanksgiving weekend in the 'States, you're likely to come across as a bit impatient.  Folks on this board are indeed VERY helpful but you need to give them time to read your post before expecting an answer - and THEN bump your thread after a few days if you haven't heard anything.

Peace

Bagman

bagman67 said:
Hey, welcome aboard.  Glad you're here.

A couple things:

Colored finishes on necks will render them unreturnable, I think.  But you can pay the upcharge to get it done.  Your best bet is to (all together now) CALL WARMOTH if you have questions you want answered by someone who is really knowledgeable about the inside workings of warmoth.  Wenge doesn't need a finish, and further, you'll incur the collective wrath of this board if you paint a wenge neck.  See the thread I initiated called "HOw not to do it" in the "General Discussion" forum.

If you want your guitar to be very similar to a Les Paul, a wenge neck ain't the way to go.  But there are folks on this board (Orpheo comes to mind) who have gone that route and had good results.  Search for his threads.  Also, I think you'll find wenge heavier than mahogany, so if weight is an issue for you, you'll want to put that in your calculations.

Finally, if you bump a thread after only one day of waiting, and that day happens to be on Thanksgiving weekend in the 'States, you're likely to come across as a bit impatient.  Folks on this board are indeed VERY helpful but you need to give them time to read your post before expecting an answer - and THEN bump your thread after a few days if you haven't heard anything.

Peace

Bagman

Sorry, didn't mean to be impatient, I'm just really eager to have this guitar built.

Considering the description on warmoth's site, wenge would be different from mahogany like you said but I have red so many good comments on wenge neck with ebony fingerboard.
I've been a fender guy for a while but when I tried some les paulI was really suprised by theird feel, they felt like real guitars, felt solid and sounded good. I want that, but I'm not 100% happy with what's available from Gibson unless I mod them and they are too expensive for me to buy one and mod it.

Because I'm so used to use to the fender sound I wouldn't mind if my "les paul" would be a bit on the bright side BUT I want it to have all the balls, warmth, lows... "call it how you'd like" of a gibson les paul.
The idea of a raw neck sounds appealing to me also.
Would an all Rosewood neck with either rosewood or ebody fretboard sound good for a les paul type of guitar?
I red less good things about rosewood neck but I'm always curious to see more opinions.

Thanks

I have a couple guitars with Wenge/Ebony nexks and love them.  I also have an LP with a Bubinga/Ebony neck and it has a very similiar tone as my Gibson LP.  Wenge will not really give a "bright" sound, but really brings out the mids.

I went to the neck builder and was able to choose Wenge for an angled headstock neck...

riverbluff said:
I have a couple guitars with Wenge/Ebony nexks and love them.  I also have an LP with a Bubinga/Ebony neck and it has a very similiar tone as my Gibson LP.  Wenge will not really give a "bright" sound, but really brings out the mids.

I went to the neck builder and was able to choose Wenge for an angled headstock neck...

Do you think that an LP with a wenge/ebony neck could also sound similar to a Gibson LP?
I'm really tempted by it either way.

I think the difference in pickups, between old PAF and something like Burstbucker pros or even EMGs, would be a greater difference than the difference between a mahogany vs a wenge neck.

I like my Wenge Ebony neck on my Les paul.

Red_Les_Paul-Grass-Diagonal-Small.jpg

Red_Les_Paul-Grass-Back-Small-01.jpg

It is very slick.  I have Bareknuckle Nailbombs in that guitar and it is very fun.  It is a little brighter, but it is also chambered.  The neck is a lot of fun to play, I would definitely recommend wenge.
Patrick

Steve_Karl said:
I think the difference in pickups, between old PAF and something like Burtbucker pros or even EMGs, would be a greater difference than the difference between a mahogany vs a wenge neck.

Yeah probably, I think I'll go with that wenge/ebony neck, it just seems great.
Concerning the pickups, anybody tried the SD SHPR-1 (P-rail)? The concept is really nice but I wonder how the humbucker sounds in there...

fourdogslong said:
Steve_Karl said:
I think the difference in pickups, between old PAF and something like Burtbucker pros or even EMGs, would be a greater difference than the difference between a mahogany vs a wenge neck.

Concerning the pickups, anybody tried the SD SHPR-1 (P-rail)? The concept is really nice but I wonder how the humbucker sounds in there...

Wenge/ebony, killer combination. Sounds great, looks classy, feels even better.

Prails...had n, but the p90 sound isn't dirty enough, the humbucker found is too warm and mushy, the bladecoil isnt quacky enough.really, get a pair of bill kawrence pickups, or make a jb/fullshred hybrid, or a 59/custom hybrid.they sound awesome.

fourdogslong said:
riverbluff said:

Do you think that an LP with a wenge/ebony neck could also sound similar to a Gibson LP?
I'm really tempted by it either way.

I have a VW with a wenge/ebony neck and while the tone is not the same as my gibson LP it is similar with regard to a "warm/Full" sound rather then the brighter sound of a strat or tele.

Orpheo said:
fourdogslong said:
Steve_Karl said:

Wenge/ebony, killer combination. Sounds great, looks classy, feels even better.

Prails...had n, but the p90 sound isn't dirty enough, the humbucker found is too warm and mushy, the bladecoil isnt quacky enough.really, get a pair of bill kawrence pickups, or make a jb/fullshred hybrid, or a 59/custom hybrid.they sound awesome.

I'm still curious about those p-rails cause that LP will be my only good guitar so the versatility of that pickup would be nice, of course if the tone isn't there it won't be worth it.
I hate to shop for pickups, how the hell are we supposed to try them without getting in dept?

Best I can figure is, the P-rails are really good at getting Geordie Walker (Killing Joke) tones, so-so for getting "classic" p-90 tone, and OK for getting Strat tones.  If you really need the signature tone of one type of pickup or the other, you may want to go with a BFG style setup (p-90 in the neck, hot 'bucker in the bridge), possibly with something designed to split if you need single-coil bridge tones.

I really wanted to like prails, but I bought every time, another set instead of the prails. I even got rid of 6 tripleshots, and the only reason I have one set left is because I'm not bothered enough to swap them for regular rings and a pushpull pot.

but maybe I don't like triple shots because I have tried the best p90 (guitar) in the world, and the best strats too? I have played a '55 LP special tv yellow, and that guitar was so darned awesome. it was raunchy, dirty, twangy, damn DAMN i want that guitar but can't afford it! that was really the best guitar with p90's I have ever tried. same for the strat... nah, prails aren't the works for me. I prefer to make my own hybridpickups with duncan-parts. that way I know exactly what goes in the pickup, and I can tweak it to the limit for my tone..

Back