Wenge Neck and Tung Oil

ognolman

OK, I've seen a bunch about doing tung oil finishing, but I want to double-check before I ruin an expensive neck.  I've got this Wenge neck that I've put some fairly heavy coats of Tung Oil on.  This Tung Oil is the varnish variety, not pure Tung Oil.  I'm really happy with the nice shine it has, but I saw somewhere in this board where someone suggested filling the grain with Stew Mac water based grain filler.  Well, I have some of that and am considering applying it to the neck and putting some more Tung Oil on it.  I suspect that the poster of the reply about the grain filler was referring to pure Tung Oil, so I'd like to be certain that I'm not going to make a mess if I do this.

I would appreciate hearing some thoughts an opinions on this subject.

Thanks,

John

Are you unhappy with the way the wenge feels?  You don't need grain filler for tung oil, you just need grain filler if you want a smooth surface.  Wenge is so rough it would take you forever to fill the grain... It's your neck, but if it were me I wouldn't.  I predict jack or CB will be here shortly to berate you for even considering such a thing.  ;)

I wouldn't berate him, but prefer my necks raw. Based on my past experience with mahogany, it should take you approximately forever to fill wenge grain.

the open pores is exactly what's so great about wenge! It makes it feel really fast!

jackthehack said:
I wouldn't berate him, but prefer my necks raw. Based on my past experience with mahogany, it should take you approximately forever to fill wenge grain.

LOL, ok, you've convinced me... I did suspect it was going to be a tough job.  I'm thinking I might take some of the Tung Oil varnish down a bit with some 0000 steel wool...  Make it a little more 'natural'?

From what I've gathered the varnish Tung Oil is not the preferred type.

Comments are welcome.

Thanks!

jbd

Back