Well, there's some Gnarly Knurling

stubhead

Master Member
knurl.gif

The guy who makes these, Jay Monterose, certainly has a high opinion of his talents!

I make every piece by hand personally—I consider it a real art. Others have tried and failed to match my quality of craft or tone, but it all starts in my hands.

Why aren’t more guys doing it your way?
Mass producers can’t do it my way. The handmade quality comes from being a true craftsman and artist. I have total command of my skills and tools. Most guitar guys don’t have the same expertise, knowledge and creative ideas.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Jan/5_Tele_Style_Builders_You_Should_Know.aspx?Page=6

$45 per knob, darn right I want High Art and not just some piece of crap that'll turn the guitar up and down.... :hello2:

Nick Ellingworth said:
Presumably for $45 each those knobs magically make your tone better, they better had do for that price! ;)

The extreme Knurling really makes those mids growl!

Go to any guitar forum and do a search for Monterose or Vintique. Your monitor will burst into flames.

Does he do custom work?

Seriously, if he could make me a dome knob with engraved numbering in the middle, and knurling on the top and bottom, i would pay any price for them...
(I would love me some dome knobs on my build, but i have to use strat knobs for the numbering)

You might try an engraving shop, I'm sure they could do numbering on a flat top, you;d have to check on a dome top.

jackthehack said:
You might try an engraving shop, I'm sure they could do numbering on a flat top, you;d have to check on a dome top.

I think l6m is looking for a knob that's not completely knurled, it has a smooth stripe with numbers about halfway up.  I'm guessing he needs the numbers for a Variax :p

I think this would be cool.

I guess I'll have to be more explicit.

Do some research on this person before parting (possibly forever) with your money. And don't come boo-hooing to me later.

So he's another scammer parting fools from their money then, that was fairly obvious when I saw the price he charges for his Tele bridges.

dbw said:
jackthehack said:

I think l6m is looking for a knob that's not completely knurled, it has a smooth stripe with numbers about halfway up.  I'm guessing he needs the numbers for a Variax :p

I think this would be cool.

Yes.

Its not for a variax, but thats where i got the idea from...

Everything I read says it's awesome hardware but the guy takes your money and vanishes for a year.  Who needs that BS?  Plus the prices are outrageous.

Kinda reminds me of Dumble... ever read about that guy?  This is all third-hand hearsay, so I can't vouch for it.... but my understanding is you pay like 10 grand up front for a fifty watt amp, and he'll build it and send it to you.  But he's got this "policy" where if you call and ask about it he just keeps your money and doesn't send you an amp.  Which would be fine if the amps took a couple months to build, but apparently he disappears for 5 or 10 years before he delivers.

What a retard, there's no craftsmanship in using a knurling tool. Any monkey could learn how to do it in about 5 min.

DangerousR6 said:
What a retard, there's no craftsmanship in using a knurling tool. Any monkey could learn how to do it in about 5 min.

With a good one yes, wish to see people trying to do it with the ones from the techinical school I went :laughing7:

Fernando, that's because you're from a hidden Amazon tribe that never encountered modern civilization till last year.  :D

DangerousR6 said:
Bill Callaham's were less than half that price.  What are they really worth Doug?

Back