Well, there's some Gnarly Knurling

at $45 per knob  it better include a BJ from his hot girlfriend.  Seriously did you ever see anybody gushing over the freakin KNOBS on a guitar?  When someone says to me "hey man nice guitar but those knobs are ugly,"  Then and only then will I shell out that kind of change for a knob.  I am good with my $4 speed knobs, they serve their purpose and they are better than turning up the shaft on a pot.  I just might think about maple knobs on my WGD at $12 for two, and I think that is expensive.  I actually priced wood lathes to see if it was worth it to just buy a lathe and make my own but I can't swing $500 for a half decent lathe, so the more I think about it I will probably end up with the cheapie knobs anyway, I'd rather spend my money on abalone purfling and fingerboard inlays, which I think are a waste of money too for what you get, but they sure do look good when the guitar is done.

Chris of Arabia said:
DangerousR6 said:
What a retard, there's no craftsmanship in using a knurling tool. Any monkey could learn how to do it in about 5 min.

When can you start?
:laughing11: I learned how to do monkey stuff a long time ago....

Blue313 said:
DangerousR6 said:
What a retard, there's no craftsmanship in using a knurling tool. Any monkey could learn how to do it in about 5 min.
Bill Callaham's were less than half that price.  What are they really worth Doug?
Probably about $1 a piece..

I must have missed some of the low down on applied capitalism. The part where it seems to must have been said that for every questionable product offered at a ridiculous price, an equal and fitting demand will be created. Somehow this does not make me feel particularly full of joy and receptive to the seasonal spirit. On the contrary, I think old Ebeneezer would do well to rattle his chains a bit more.

That sounds like a good deal to me.  Only $45?

These are, or were, a mere $450.
woodenknobs.jpg

More Info:
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/4309/

I've got Goncalo Alves knobs on my thinline that I bought for $15 on ebay, I wonder if they improve tone too? 

theklanch said:
Seriously did you ever see anybody gushing over the freakin KNOBS on a guitar?  When someone says to me "hey man nice guitar but those knobs are ugly,"

I am good with my $4 speed knobs, they serve their purpose and they are better than turning up the shaft on a pot.  I just might think about maple knobs on my WGD at $12 for two, and I think that is expensive. 

Hey there Klanch, I have gushed over knobs on a guitar.  Its why I've bought a set of wood knobs for the Warmoth I'm expecting in the next few weeks.  I'm just moved by the less standard things out there.  I have a friend who does experimental etreme noise punk, he has a mid '80s off-brand-star-shaped-heavy-metal ax thats covered in duct tape with a gigantic silver stereo knob, I've seen dudes react with comments like "whoa, check out the size of that dude's knob!".  Which when taken out of context sounds really really fruity.

and...

Did you get your ebay knobs from this guy?  I just pulled the trigger this morning for a pair of satin Cocobolo knobs for my beloved thinline.

http://stores.ebay.com/Exotic-Wood-Knobs-And-Guitar-Parts_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsxQ3asstQQtZkm

Blue313 said:
They fatten up the signal to allow compressed pickups to sound more open.  :laughing7:

I have to agree with that.  Aside from the fact that those knobs are a total fraud, the statement is a scientific reality.  But you don't  need $450 wood knobs.  A set of $12 wood knobs do the same.  You see, a thinline like mine really comes to life in a live or practice setting where the amps are turned up and the vibrations are hitting the guitar on as much surface area as possable.  If you have a lot of metal on the guitar, it can cause for some unwanted brash high end to eek into the peripheral vibration that hits the guitar.  As mine is a Tele Thinline with the usual metal Tele bridge, I would have expected a lot more of this phenomina, but as the big metal bridge is positioned where the strings meet the body, that brashness is then redirected, or filtered, back into the strings and gives the overall sound a more big and solid thump, whereas the old metal knobs would then transfer the brashness into the body vibratory resonance of the guitar and you could hear a buzzing high sizzle in the note decay (only when playing live or in a band practice setting, you gotta be turned up fairly loud).  By replaceing the old metal knobs with wood knobs, you get a more natural acoustic vibratory resonance that then transfers back into the guitars natural vibratorological resonationabilityness that is most eumacious (latin for "full of goodness").

Vol. Knob said:
I have gushed over knobs on a guitar.

I'd expect that from a guy who calls himself "Vol. Knob"  :toothy12:

I went into a pawn shop once where they had a P.O.S. bass that someone put dice knobs on.
These wernt your usual dice knobs though...
They were giant rubber ones about 2 inches wide, and i think they were pink, but i cant remember.
The bass was totally trashed.

Vol. Knob said:
I have to agree with that.  Aside from the fact that those knobs are a total fraud, the statement is a scientific reality.  But you don't  need $450 wood knobs.  A set of $12 wood knobs do the same.  You see, a thinline like mine really comes to life in a live or practice setting where the amps are turned up and the vibrations are hitting the guitar on as much surface area as possable.  If you have a lot of metal on the guitar, it can cause for some unwanted brash high end to eek into the peripheral vibration that hits the guitar.  As mine is a Tele Thinline with the usual metal Tele bridge, I would have expected a lot more of this phenomina, but as the big metal bridge is positioned where the strings meet the body, that brashness is then redirected, or filtered, back into the strings and gives the overall sound a more big and solid thump, whereas the old metal knobs would then transfer the brashness into the body vibratory resonance of the guitar and you could hear a buzzing high sizzle in the note decay (only when playing live or in a band practice setting, you gotta be turned up fairly loud).  By replaceing the old metal knobs with wood knobs, you get a more natural acoustic vibratory resonance that then transfers back into the guitars natural vibratorological resonationabilityness that is most eumacious (latin for "full of goodness").

You should also replace those steel strings with wooden ones.

ByteFrenzy said:

I've been on the lookout for wood strings.  I lack the pseudo-scientific eggheadedness to work on the concept myself, but as soon as some appear, dont think I wont try them.

The big problem with wood strings would be the inability to conduct elecricity or magnetic attraction.  They'd probably work better on an acoustic.  I've got a few wood picks.  I read a few years ago that a guy was trying to build wood speakers, actual speakers, not just the cabinet.

Go to any guitar forum and do a search for Monterose or Vintique. Your monitor will burst into flames.

That is one of the most accurate statements ever made on this Discussion Board.  

I tried dealing with him one time about 9 years ago. I got so disgusted I went on a search to find someone else which lead me to Callaham and later Glendale both of which I highly recommend.

Come on! The guys is selling a neck plate for $45 and if want screws for it, it's $90 for the set and plate...... :sad:

Brian

Vol. Knob said:
ByteFrenzy said:

I've been on the lookout for wood strings.  I lack the pseudo-scientific eggheadedness to work on the concept myself, but as soon as some appear, dont think I wont try them.

The big problem with wood strings would be the inability to conduct elecricity or magnetic attraction.  They'd probably work better on an acoustic.  I've got a few wood picks.  I read a few years ago that a guy was trying to build wood speakers, actual speakers, not just the cabinet.

Sorry. Should have specified IRONwood.

Back