Weird intonation issues all of the sudden

cromulent

Tele was playing fine. Changed strings today and suddenly I'm having a massive intonation problem with the center strings. D string frets about 20 cents sharp and G string frets about 10 cents flat. I have (compensated) barrel saddles so I can only move them in the same direction. EA & BE intonation is alright.

Any idea what could possibly have caused this, and how to fix? I did also remove the neck, in case that could somehow explain it, but didn't seem to be any issues.

Last edited:
Tele was playing fine. Changed strings today and suddenly I'm having a massive intonation problem with the center strings. D string frets about 20 cents sharp and G string frets about 10 cents flat. I have (compensated) barrel saddles so I can only move them in the same direction. EA & BE intonation is alright.

Any idea what could possibly have caused this, and how to fix? I did also remove the neck, in case that could somehow explain it, but didn't seem to be any issues.
Keep strings on, loosen neck bolts a little bit, hold neck in place, and with guitar straight up and down wiggle neck a bit, then re-tighten and redo intonation. Or maybe wacky strings?

I've already removed and reinstalled the neck twice to try to fix. Same problem.

I think the string change somehow reshaped the D string nut slot. I assume the D string must now be sitting on the nut closer to the tuners than the other strings sit. This is the only thing that I can think of to explain it. Frustrating if so. This neck/nut has only seen two sets of strings so far.

I assume that you replaced the strings with the exacts same brand/model/gauge strings, and that you changed strings one at a time. i also assume that the nut is in place and has not moved. Wondering about what Spud said, could the new strings be bad, meaning a faulty set?

I assume that you replaced the strings with the exacts same brand/model/gauge strings
No - same gauge but different brand

and that you changed strings one at a time
No - removed them all because I also removed the neck so I could get the pickguard off for another reason. (Do people change strings one at a time?)

i also assume that the nut is in place and has not moved.
Yeah I think it's still right where it was

Wondering about what Spud said, could the new strings be bad, meaning a faulty set?
Yeah I guess this is possible too. Curious what could be physically wrong with the string to cause this tho.

FWIW, it really was just the D string that seemed to be the issue at first. The G string only had an issue after I tried to get the D string more in tune. When I get the G string back in tune, which is where the saddle was originally, the D string frets almost 30 cents sharp. Also getting some rattle in the D string now.

Last edited:
When it comes to changing strings one at a time vs removing all at once I only have experience from two guitars behaving very differently.
My EJ Strat was built as a tank (with a baseball bat neck, and it would alwys stay in tune) and I always removed all the strings. No problems, ever.
My Godin Richmond has a thin neck and does not stay in tune that well. If I remove all the strings the guitar will at least have buzz problems, if not intonation. However, in 2-3 days it will play well again. I guess the guitar settles down after the ”stress”. So, on the Godin I change strings one at a time, unless I need to do some other maintenance on it, too.

Ah interesting. I've only ever removed all the strings during string changes, mostly so I can give the fretboard a nice cleaning. I'll see if this settles down in a couple days, but I feel it must be more than that since all the strings seem fine except the one. I expect I just need a new nut :/

Ah interesting. I've only ever removed all the strings during string changes, mostly so I can give the fretboard a nice cleaning. I'll see if this settles down in a couple days, but I feel it must be more than that since all the strings seem fine except the one. I expect I just need a new nut :/
Try going back to the original brand of strings and see how that works.

Just to close the loop on this thread...

I replaced the single D string with one from a new pack (same brand) and now everything is back to normal. Never seen this in 40+ years of playing.

Thanks to everyone for the kind suggestions.

Great that you found the solution to the problem! And I have yet another story to tell my pianist friend, who claims that compared to guitar everything related to piano is so much more difficult - no way!

I am in a similar conversation on another forum about the same topic. Strings are massed produced, and while there is QC, some amount of fault will make it through.

So bottom line: if you changed strings and things are now wonky: chances are it is the strings.

I am in a similar conversation on another forum about the same topic. Strings are massed produced, and while there is QC, some amount of fault will make it through.

So bottom line: if you changed strings and things are now wonky: chances are it is the strings.
Yeah it still seems nuts to me that a string that looks and feels completely normal could cause such a huge intonation issue. But alas, you live you learn.

I too have played for 40+ years and because I worked in music store for 15 of these I’ve had more than the usual share of string changes done in my life. I have seen this so many times that when things like this happen I always assume the strings are the fault.
Another thing I recently been experiencing (but have not yet verified) is that if you happen to rest the string you are changing on one of the pickup’s pole pieces, the string then seem more prone to give unwanted vibrations. My theory is that the contact to the pole pieces will make the string slightly magnetic. This in turn will cause conflicting vibrations when played - aka Stratitis.
Will report more of my findings when I’ve done more tests.

I'm asssuming those were not D'Addario's because I've never had a problem with them ... but just in case ... what brand did you find defective?

I swore off EBs back in the 80s for this reason.

Here’s another example of string issues. A few years ago I was playing at a 4 day retreat with another guy. Day 2 his guitar loses intonation and buzzing on 1 string. His guitar had a slight fall earlier that day. He’s thing his guitar is whacked. Let me look at it. Sure enough, the underside of the string was indented by the fret from the fall.

Ok I'll switch to D'Addario next time I buy strings. But that might be a while considering I tend to buy in bulk...

D’Addario’s are great. I used them for many years as I found they had great quality and consistency. But lately - after a short stint with Fender Bullet’s (awesome) - I’m using Rotosound’s.
The ballends and specifically the wrapping at the ballend on Rotosound’s I feel is more ”pro” compared to other brands, including d’Addario’s.
Here’s a great read about such things:

I play EB, Diadderio, and Fender branded nickle wrapped 10's interchangeably. Lately been considering going to 9.5's.

Back