Earvana nut... fantastic! Except for...

srl01

<EDIT: Turns out this was a problem with a faulty string and nothing to do with the Earvana nut or saddle. Keeping original posts below for reference>

First time poster here. I am a fairly average guitarist - basically at the "help out at church when needed" level - however I happen to have a very good ear for intonation.
And open-string intonation issues on my guitars have bothered me for years, to the point that I usually play any rhythm work with a capo even if it's originally in a simple key.

Recently I got an Earvana drop-in nut (and saddle) installed on my trusty Harley Benton CLG-650 (don't laugh - it's a fine guitar in that price range) strung with 11-50s, and it is wonderful.
Genuinely amazing improvement - I can now play songs in C and G switching open and barre chords without a harmonic whiplash!

However... something is very wrong with the D string further up the neck, such that at the 12th fret it is about 30 cents (yes, 30) flat.
I cannot for the life figure out why this is - the Earvana compensated saddle has the D string set to be fully forward (i.e. to guide it to be sharpening as much as possible when moving up the frets, similar to the original compensated saddle) and yet it is wildly flat at the 12th fret despite being bang-on both open and (importantly) at the 1st fret. Rest of the strings are fine (0-3 cents sharp @ 12 fret).

Clearly there is some sorcery here that I am not sufficiently abreast of... and given that the Earvana folks do not respond to customer contact (though they do ship product!) I would welcome any guidance / ideas from the experts here. Thank you in advance!

I've owned guitars with earvanna nuts.  Question for you: Did you re-intonate the bridge after installing the nut?

Mayfly said:
I've owned guitars with earvanna nuts.  Question for you: Did you re-intonate the bridge after installing the nut?

Appreciate the quick response! I had both the Earvana nut and the replacement compensated saddle (also Earvana) installed by a well-regarded guitar tech here in Hong Kong.
The CLG-650 is an acoustic guitar (sorry that wasn't clear in first post) with fixed bridge so not sure if there is more that can be done in terms of re-intonating though.

Thank you Mayfly!

Hmmm.  From my experience I had to make fairly large changes at the bridge to get the guitar to play in tune.  With an acoustic guitar, you might be stuck.

Or just don't let it bother you.  If it really bugs you then you need someone else in hk to help you regardless if your tech is well regarded.  Get a second opinion.

Did you try Tom Lee in tsim sha tsui?  They seemed to know what they were doing when I was there 5 years ago.  Also for a tech in hk you might want to send Hendrix too a pm .  he's a member here though I haven't heard from him recently.

Fat Pete said:
Has this happened with multiple D strings?

Well I'll be damned. I just switched out the .30 phosphor-bronze D for a 0.32 nickel-wound D from an electric set.
It is now perfectly in tune up and down the neck on the D string. Open D, G and C shapes played an octave above sound heavenly. Exactly the sound I had in mind when justifying spending $100 on a replacement nut and saddle.

I then switched back to the .30 - merciless harmonic warfare erupted immediately.

Riddle-me-this: How on earth can a string change affect intonation by almost a quarter-tone? Both of these are new strings of course and presumably subject to the same laws of physics...

Fat Pete said:
Did you switch back to the same .030? Strings can be faulty in weird ways...

You are right - took a different 0.30 (same manufacturer, different set) and problem is gone.
Looks like a faulty string.

Thank you all!

Back