Weight of a 1-piece ebony neck

lafromla1

I am thinking of a one-piece ebony neck for my next build.  What is the weight difference between that and lets say a one-piece maple neck?  I have been hearing of how heavy ebony is and was wondering if I'll have balance issues putting it on a VIP, Quilt Maple/Mahogany with an f-hole (somewhere in the low to mid 3# area before hardware).  My current VIP has is white korina with a Rosewood fretboard.  Any thoughts?

Ebony is very bright sounding, brittle, and HEAVY wood, and warmoth may or may not be able to make it for you...

You might get away keeping good balance because the VIP has a very long upper horn placing the strap in an ideal spot, but I don't think I would risk it...

I doubt they can make one-piece ebony VM, maybe you could get a Pro with a separate ebony fretboard. How heavy? Very very heavy.

Sounds like the 1-piece ebony wont be efficient.  Maybe a black korina or Wenge neck with an ebony fretboard will do the trick.

The BK requires a finish, which negates half of the attraction of an exotic - they don't need a finish.  The wenge/ebony would be a good choice.  I don't think W offers all ebony/ebony necks as an option but they do pop up in the showcase from time to time.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
The BK requires a finish, which negates half of the attraction of an exotic - they don't need a finish.  The wenge/ebony would be a good choice.  I don't think W offers all ebony/ebony necks as an option but they do pop up in the showcase from time to time.

Perhaps as a custom one-off order... You'd have to call them to ask

a couple of new macassar ebony necks hit the showcase yesterday.. they look really cool
wonder how much they weigh though.

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Path=Neck&i=SN7247

SN7247A.jpg

lafromla1 said:
I am thinking of a one-piece ebony neck for my next build.  What is the weight difference between that and lets say a one-piece maple neck?  I have been hearing of how heavy ebony is and was wondering if I'll have balance issues putting it on a VIP, Quilt Maple/Mahogany with an f-hole (somewhere in the low to mid 3# area before hardware).  My current VIP has is white korina with a Rosewood fretboard.  Any thoughts?

I doubt you'll have balance issues with your VIP body. I have a one piece VM macassar ebony neck on a hollow alder strat body and dont have any balance issues. It's the best feeling and sounding neck I've ever played!

i cannot say the exact weight but checking densities (ebony: ~ 1.1 kg/m3  maple: ~ 0.7 kg/m3) i could tell it would weigh 1.5 times more than a 1-piece maple neck =)

Back