WCR Godwoods Bridge for "Fat Strat"

Caisa

Hi, do you think the WCR Godwoods bridge pickup will do a good job in a fat strat with HSS routing?

Thanks
Stephan

Do I think it would do a good job?  If you want an honest answer, then mine is "no".  At least in my opinion.  Based upon the website description, anyway.  I have no need to sing a baby to sleep, my kids are all over 10 years old.  And I wouldn't want to blow the balls off a charging Rhino at a hundred yards, they're an endangered species. And I doubt they'd be effective as weapons against such a beast, Rhinos are solid!

I recomend either seymour duncans if you like the traditional look,  or better yet, Reed James Custom ( http://www.reedjamescustom.com ), for an amazing looking pickup that sounds even better.  IMHO.  YMMV.  Dig?

Have you ever heared or played a WCR Godwoods bridge PU?

I have the Strat SR set and they are wonderful. So I ask Jim Wagner for a fat STrat config and he recommends me the Godwood bridge PU. I like the soundsamples too.
So I do not get you right why you are thnking the Godwoods is not a good choice. Just because of the description???

Thanks
Stephan

IMHO, one shouldn't take too much heed from sound clips on a website.  I never do, anyway.  There are so many things that impact the sound after the pickups that there is no way to truly get the experience of actually being in the same room as the pickups.  To me, they sound like clips of a guy playing guitar.  Neither good nor bad.

Never played a set of Godwoods.  This post is the first time I've ever heard of them.  I checked out the website and saw another new pickup manufacturer singing their own praises.

Based upon my viewing of the website, their product offers the exact same thing as 100 other pickup manufacurers.  Its such a flooded market, you really have to be good quality AND offer something unique and original (Duncan Antiquities, Lollar, Reed James Custom, TV Jones), or extremely cheap (GFS for example), to get my attention. 

It sounds to me like you know the answer to your post.  You already have a set and you're happy with the tone.  You tell me why I'd want a set.  What is it, specifically, about Godwoods that make them the right choice? 

Just seeing this. I have a set of Goodwoods and they are very nice, They replaced some SDs. The GWs though are out and waiting for a build as they were replaced w/ Timbuckers.

i have a godwood bridge in my korina body and neck strat. it is a truly wonderful pickup in that guitar. i would say try one.

I just got a Goodwood bridge pickup last week but haven't install it yet... We will see how it will work with my Strat pickups... BTW Jim from WCR is a nice guy to deal with!

ss396 said:
i have a godwood bridge in my korina body and neck strat. it is a truly wonderful pickup in that guitar. i would say try one.

TBurst Std said:
I have a set of Goodwoods and they are very nice, They replaced some SDs.

Caisa said:
I have the Strat SR set and they are wonderful.

Gentlemen, I am at a loss.  Among the descriptions are "Truly Wonderful", "Very Nice" and "Wonderful".  There isnt enough information in your posts persuade me.  What do they have that Seymour Duncan does not have?  How about GFS?  EMG?  Specifically, what is it about these pickups that will make me give up my hard earned dollar?  Is there some secret sauce or design detail that all the other manufacturers don't have? 

I realize that its difficult to really put a guitar tone into descriptive words, but you guys are phoning it in.   

Hmmm... really difficult!

I dont know if there are any construction details that makes them better than others but for me they are one of the best sounding pups I have ever played/heared.

I have played the Strat SR Set and a Godwood bridge HB which are well balanced (SR Set) with the nice vintage 60/70 vibe like Hendrix or SRV but without a higher output than stock Strat sets. They really nail this sound. The middle pup is hard to describe but it is the only Strat middle pup I like to play stand alone.

The godwood bridge is a darker sounding PAF style pup but with moderate output and no scooped mids. Played a little bit distored at higher gain settings it delivers so nice and much more harmonics I have ever heared in the PAF class.

The WCRs are a little bit expensive but they are damm good. A good alternative might be wolfetone....

Caisa said:
Hmmm... really difficult!

I dont know if there are any construction details that makes them better than others but for me they are one of the best sounding pups I have ever played/heared.

I have played the Strat SR Set and a Godwood bridge HB which are well balanced (SR Set) with the nice vintage 60/70 vibe like Hendrix or SRV but without a higher output than stock Strat sets. They really nail this sound. The middle pup is hard to describe but it is the only Strat middle pup I like to play stand alone.

The godwood bridge is a darker sounding PAF style pup but with moderate output and no scooped mids. Played a little bit distored at higher gain settings it delivers so nice and much more harmonics I have ever heared in the PAF class.

The WCRs are a little bit expensive but they are damm good. A good alternative might be wolfetone....

:hello2:

That's what I was after, thanks.  I get so frustrated when someone suggests something to me and says "Because its good" or "Wonderful".  Everyone has their own unique perspective, one man's "Good" is another man's "Gross".  I can't stand cherries, the rest of my family loves them.  Heck, everyone loves pizza.  I hate pizza.  I love brussel sprouts, a notoriously unloved vegetable.

Now, unfortunatly your description of a "darker sounding PAF" does not spark my interest.  My issue with PAFs, and humbuckers in general, is the darker nature of the sound.  I like my guitar pickups to be on the bright side.  Its easier to make a bright guitar sound dark than it is to make a dark guitar sound bright.  No suprise I've favored single coils for years.

Though, I find the name "Godwood" to be curious.  I don't get the impression there's any wood in the pickups, or deitys.

This set of Reed James Custom Woodbuckers, carved from solid Cocobolo, are waiting for me to save enough cash to buy a Mahogany VIP with an F hole.  The Epiphone LP Custom is just a "Place Holder".  They're the clearest 'bucker set I've ever heard.  While retaining all the warmth and girth that 'buckers are loved for, to my ears they also have a chime and high-end response that I normally would attribute to single coils.  Quite frankly, the only humbuckers I've ever gotten excited about. 

And they earn the name "Woodbucker" as the Cocobolo is not merely a veneer on plastic, but carved from a block of cocobolo, solid hardwood, even the rings.

l_1d93a315692d4293a8a1641fc1eb1b87.jpg

You are right but everybody know how difficult it is to tell someone how a pikup sounds like.
If you are looking for some brighter ickups there are a lot of other WCRs which might be good for you... the Godwood is the darkest PAf style pickup from WCR. I combined the darker brige PU with two singlecoils (also WCR) and I am very hapy with them.

The Harmonic design Z-90 (kind of P-90 in a humbucking format) is also a very nice PU. Is well balanced and bright like a SC/P90 but has the balls like a Humbucker.

I've heard lots of good things about Harmonic Designs.  I had the chance to play a strat loaded with HDs, it was fun and very stratty.

...and just a thought...   A pickup with "Balls"...  Now, mine (balls) are kinda sensetive and send me doubled over in pain if they're tapped even slightly.  As I have a bunch of kids, I'm always getting kicked there, accidentally hit there while playing catch, etc.  Every father knows of what I speak.  Balls are delicate and essentially the weakest part of a dude.  Sure, they're the factory that produces your swimmers and a few needed hormones that make us stink and turn stupid around chicks, but they arenet really synonomys with toughness.

How come nobody says "These pickups have virginias (girl parts, not the state), they could totally birth a baby while retaining that top end sparkle"?

Just wondering.

Vol. Knob said:
...and just a thought...   A pickup with "Balls"...  Now, mine (balls) are kinda sensetive and send me doubled over in pain if they're tapped even slightly.  As I have a bunch of kids, I'm always getting kicked there, accidentally hit there while playing catch, etc.  Every father knows of what I speak.  Balls are delicate and essentially the weakest part of a dude.  Sure, they're the factory that produces your swimmers and a few needed hormones that make us stink and turn stupid around chicks, but they arenet really synonomys with toughness.

How come nobody says "These pickups have virginias (girl parts, not the state), they could totally birth a baby while retaining that top end sparkle"?

Just wondering.

lol,  :rock-on:

Back