Watered down tone?

line6man

Epic Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-Electric-Guitar-Acrylic-Transparent-with-Water-on-the-body/111441726063?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24193%26meid%3D8e74c4832ae2447183a4921d06efe401%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10284%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D261557221150&rt=nc

Discuss.

Sort of reminds me of those donation containers that were at fast food counters in the '90s. They were filled with liquid, and you would drop your coins in a slot at the top, to try to get them to land on a platform, so you could win a free food item.

Wolfie351 said:
stratamania said:
What happens below zero ?

Fill it with vodka.  Water is for guitar posers

Does it come with a sippy straw?

When you want to impress your metalhead friends, you could throw some cranberry juice in there and pretend that you're drinking blood.  :cool01:

Prometheus said:
Yeah, not so crazy about that.

On the other hand, the Fender Custom Shop turned out the "Splatocaster", which is probably about the best possible case of such a thing. I had my doubts at the beginning of the video. But at the end, it turned out pretty darned cool. Not sure if it's for me, but it certainly is original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vIon2GWONY&list=PLYzbITpTaBDeJ1vDHorFu_UQaPWlPo90Y&index=74

OMG! I've been looking for this for years! I saw a guitar like that in an issue of Guitar World, once, and have never been able to find info since. I don't remember there being that much chrome, and I thought it was a bit older than 2007, but the magazine article was about the winner of some guitar design contest held by Fender, so it has to be the same guitar.

Thanks for posting! :icon_thumright:

Glad you're happy. I had it filed away in a Utube playlist, and remembered when I saw the OP pics.

Actually I was intrigued by the process. I've done a fair bit of work in Lexan and acrylic (including some today) - specialized non-magnetic equipment for MRI. It's interesting stuff to work with. When I saw the video I said to myself "now there's something you haven't done". For that reason it was appealing. But I couldn't figure out a way to implement it into a guitar that I'd want to be seen in public with.

Now, another related idea would be to get some light/heat source, and build a hollow lexan body cavity as a lava lamp. Holy 60's trippin' axe !!

Prometheus said:
Now, another related idea would be to get some light/heat source, and build a hollow lexan body cavity as a lava lamp. Holy 60's trippin' axe !!

Now that would be cool! Perhaps a modern formulation of wax would allow you do get a good convection current flowing without needing as much heat as traditional lava lamps require?

Here's another idea. Some lava lamps use glitter instead of wax. If you took a guitar like the one in the eBay link, and filled it with glitter water, you could get a great effect without the need for a heat source. You could throw in some tiny pumps to move around the water, but if you gave it a good shake before performing, and made sure to keep a lively stage presence, the glitter would move around on its own.

Then again, keeping things tasteful would be questionable.  :blob7:

Back