Warmoth's Z Guitar Body - Is it comfortable when sitting?

MisterWhom

I understand that the Warmoth Z body balances well on a strap and from what I have read, seems to do well standing. How comfortable is it in a seated position when resting on the right leg (right handed player)? I haven't seen a lot of information posted about this particular scenario, and when I have it has been mixed. I am sure it depends on the player, but would like to get a rough idea from those with experience with this style. Thank you for any insights.

Never tried a z body. They look cool. I've found the offsets and the vip to be very comfortable when sitting. If you know about the history of the jazzmaster you'll get insight into why it has that shape, and why offsets are the way they are.
I recommend the golden age of fender book by Kelly. Best to read it for yourself than from some nerd on the internet. Teles and strats feel small to.me, but I've owned a bunch of teles, still have 2, and love them. Only way to know for yourself is take the plunge and try it. Go to a guitar store and try a bunch.

Last edited:
Never tried a z body. They look cool. I've found the offsets and the vip to be very comfortable when sitting. If you know about the history of the jazzmaster you'll get insight into why it has that shape, and why offsets are the way they are.
I recommend the golden age of fender book by Kelly. Best to read it for yourself than from some nerd on the internet. Teles and strats feel small to.me, but I've owned a bunch of teles, still have 2, and love them. Only way to know for yourself is take the plunge and try it. Go to a guitar store and try a bunch.
Thanks for the reply. Generally Strats are solid for me overall, Teles are great too, but I miss the contours. Was curious if there was a design that upped the comfort on a Strat (besides a soloist). Unfortunately the Z body shape is not common off the shelf, though I could always keep my eye out for a Zeta Mirror to try. I have used a bass body with a similar top horn to the Zeta and enjoyed the way it balanced.

In regards to the Jazzmaster body style, I have tried Jags and the bottom bout is iffy on width for me, granted I do play some big body acoustics for what it is worth. The aim of my current build is max comfort, so I am all ears on suggestions. Thank you for the recommendation and book recommendation as well.

From what I can see the upper and lower waist areas of a Z shape are offset a bit like a JM but with a more angular shape overall. If Strats and Teles are more in your wheelhouse it may not work for you. It is subjective and what will work for some will not for others, so you would only really know by trying one or a Zeta to get an idea.

By the way if you like teles but miss the contours of a strat. Warmoth offer tele bodies with contours available to order. The Hybrid Tele has the contours as standard as it is more like a Strat in the shape of a Tele.

I'd like to try a musiclander with the z horn. I'm intellectually curious about the ergonomics of the star/V/musiclander leg notch.

Back