Warmoth, you should consider offering...

Seems like a lot of tuners are made to fit Fender's standard 2-pin layout. Doesn't seem like it would open a big can of worms for Warmoth to offer that. Maybe there are a couple other garden-variety layouts that would also make sense to offer - I don't really know.

But considering the majority of Warmoth's offerings are 'caster parts, made to Fender specs, it's unclear to me why another set of Fender-spec holes would be any different. It's something a CNC machine can do better and faster than we can.

I'd like to order a Warmoth neck please...
Pre-drilled Fender-spec mounting holes? "Yes I want that"
Pre-drilled tuner holes to Fender (or various other) specs? "Of course"
Choice of factory-installed pre-slotted nut? "Awesome"
Pre-drilled Fender spec tuning machine guide holes? "How dare you imply that I don't know how to drill those myself!!1"

Didn't expect this to be such a controversial topic!
Not controversial, just a needless cost for warmoth to deal with. This has been a common request for probably a couple decades. There must be a reason they’ve resisted this long.

"Seems like a lot of tuners are made to fit Fender's standard 2-pin layout"
Man, pretty sure I watched a recent twoodford video where he had to plug and redrill those very holes. Knowing Fender it's the difference between import and USA spec, or Squier vs Fender, or some such nonsense. Doesn't seem as universal as it could be though.

electric guitars haven’t been standardized yet like violins or oboes. It’s still a relatively young instrument. Eventually everyone will put on hipshot tuners, but we aren’t there yet so when it comes to tuners you’ll have to drill your own guide holes.

For those that mentioned two pin-holes I brought this up in the other thread cromulent started on the same subject before he mentioned it here.

I am sure they (Warmoth) do have the ability.

But there are many variables. Even if a small range of holes correctly drilled are offered, someone would order the wrong tuners and then the holes would be "wrong".

A case in point, the two pin locator holes for Fender tuners you might think Schaller M6 Pin would fit, but they won't whereas Fender two pins or Schaller F-Series Standard will.

Neither thread I think are serious posts. YMMV

Drilling tuner screw holes is a skill that most assembling a guitar from parts should have or acquire. If not, it is always a job that can be outsourced to someone who can or use something like the Hipshot UMP plate which means you don't have to drill at all.

Last edited:
Even if a small range of holes correctly drilled are offered, someone would order the wrong tuners and then the holes would be "wrong".
Customers could order the wrong spec on any number of things. Why are guide holes any different?

Drilling tuner screw holes is a skill that most assembling a guitar from parts should have or acquire.
Sure, but that's not really the point. We all can drill these holes, but a CNC machine can do it better and spare the customer the time and effort.

This has been a common request for probably a couple decades.
So if there's demand, why not offer it?

There must be a reason they’ve resisted this long.
Hence the posts!

Suggestions so far:
  • They can't do it accurately: i don't buy this
  • Customers might order the wrong spec by mistake: this seems silly
  • There aren't universal guide holes: fair point, but why not offer at least a few options?
  • It's a needless cost: it's a feature they can upcharge for
  • You could just use mounting plates: sure, but that's up to the builder
  • [my least favorite, condescending answer] if you want these holes drilled for you, then you're obviously not a good builder and should just buy a kit: anyone can drill these holes, but I'd rather have a CNC machine do it if it's an option
Neither thread I think are serious posts. YMMV
I asked a pretty innocuous question, and have received many conflicting responses. Why the passive aggression?

I asked a pretty innocuous question, and have received many conflicting responses. Why the passive aggression?

I don't do passive aggression.

I am direct and polite in what I say to everyone and provided a number of answers in this and the other thread, as have other forum members, none of which are in conflict but are all valid reasons as to why it is not offered. (some are less polite than others)

Here is the reason why I think the posts ultimately are not serious. Already given above.
Drilling tuner screw holes is a skill that most assembling a guitar from parts should have or acquire. If not, it is always a job that can be outsourced to someone who can or use something like the Hipshot UMP plate which means you don't have to drill at all.

But as I've already pointed out, you could make the same argument for mounting holes and/or tuning machine holes, but those are offered nevertheless. So that logic is internally inconsistent (, Mr. Spock). I also flat out disagree that Warmoth would not be able to drill those holes accurately. You seem to be implying that my posts must not be serious because I’m skeptical of your answers. That's passive aggressive.

Let's agree to disagree and just close this thread. Sorry for trying to have a discussion on this discussion forum.

I also flat out disagree that Warmoth would not be able to drill those holes accurately. You seem to be implying that my posts must not be serious because I’m skeptical of your answers. That's passive aggressive.

I have not stated anywhere that Warmoth would not have the ability to drill holes accurately. You are conflating things that others may have said and assigning it to me.

I don't imply anything, you asked a question, were provided with answers and continue debating a non issue. That is not serious discussion.

You can take or leave my answers but it is out of order to accuse forum members or myself of passive aggression who have not been so.

I ... provided a number of answers in this and the other thread, as have other forum members, none of which are in conflict but are all valid reasons as to why it is not offered. (some are less polite than others)

I have not stated anywhere that Warmoth would not have the ability to drill holes accurately. You are conflating things that others may have said and assigning it to me.

Let's just stop.

Last edited:
Just called Warmoth to see why they don't offer this.

I asked if it's because they can't drill accurate holes. They said that's not the reason.

I asked if it was a cost issue. They said that's not the reason.

I asked if it's because drilling the holes is a "skill that most assembling a guitar from parts should have or acquire." They said that's not the reason.

I asked if it's because they're worried customers might order the wrong spec. They said that's not the reason.

The reasons they gave are: (1) there are so many different brands out there with different layouts, (2) even specific brands (including Fender) change the layouts over time [I did not realize this], and (3) many tuners (including Fender's) are moving away from guide pins and toward spikes, which don't need guide holes at all.

Thanks to everyone who gave reasonable, non-argumentative, and non-condescending answers (ie, most of the people who contributed to this thread).

Let's close this thread now.

Last edited:
i was told one time becuz if the Big Dub drilled them for 1 screw size and then the tuner company includes a Too Big screw and a customer snaps their headstock, who are they more likely to blame?? probably Daddy W, unfortunately

also, lay off Stratmania - he's a chill bro with a jaw strong enough to sip peanut butter through a straw. i'm as #envious as u but u don't see me being a jerk about it lmao

Lay off stratmania? I’m literally defending myself from stratmania.

Dude went on the offensive just because I didn’t accept his answers, which are confirmed incorrect. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Lay off stratmania? I’m literally defending myself from stratmania.

Dude went on the offensive just because I didn’t accept his answers, which are confirmed incorrect. Sheesh.
hmm, methinks the seasoning you are pouring on his posts is of nebulous providence. fact of the matter is, he's been pretty matter-of-fact. u not liking the answers doesn't make them aggressive lol

i suggest coming over and blazing some of my HypoRanch™ and playing some guitars til there ain't no heck left in em

Hey cromulent, I wasn't trying to imply that  you don't know how to drill holes. 'Sorry if it came across that way. I just think that it's so easy, might as well let the customer (or assembler) do it for the particular tuners being installed.

hmm, methinks the seasoning you are pouring on his posts is of nebulous providence. fact of the matter is, he's been pretty matter-of-fact. u not liking the answers doesn't make them aggressive lol

i suggest coming over and blazing some of my HypoRanch™ and playing some guitars til there ain't no heck left in em
C'mon - I didn't blindly accept the answer he gave so he told other people not to take my posts seriously. Kind of a jerk move. I DMed him this morning to try to straighten things out and he never responded, but continued arguing in this thread. And then he ghosted once I confirmed the real explanation with someone at Warmoth. I feel like I'm being trolled.

@stratamania sorry bro, never meant to offend you or anyone else by asking about tuner guide holes. Just enjoy conversing about guitar stuff with guitar people. Feel free to respond to my DM if you want to clear the air.

Last edited:
Hey cromulent, I wasn't trying to imply that  you don't know how to drill holes. 'Sorry if it came across that way. I just think that it's so easy, might as well let the customer (or assembler) do it for the particular tuners being installed.
All good!

Back