Warmoth withdrawl (and a new build plan + request for advice)

Simon D

I think I'm getting withdrawl from Warmoth! My Soloist has been with the tech being tweaked for the last 3 weeks or so, so I've only actually had it in my playing possession for 5 days. Given that I was planning the thing in January, and ordered in March, I've now been waiting a while.

The problem is that the over-eager part of my brain (the part which ignores my bank balance) has forgotten I own a Warmoth, and started planning a new one! It's going to be another Soloist.

Spec I'm aiming for is: Soloist body, 2 humbuckers, trem, conoured heel. Clear gloss finish. Figured Walnut carved top, Warmoth Pro neck - probably wenge with an ebony board. The only thing I can't figure out is the body back wood. I want something reasonably lightweight (as I am led to believe walnut weighs a fair amount) and brighter than mahogany but not super bright. Oh, and it has to look good under a clear finish - nasty set of criteria I know! The guitar would be a straight-ahead hard rock/shred guitar, with pretty high output humbuckers and a Wilkinson trem.

If anybody has any wood suggestions, don't keep 'em to yourselves.

Cheers,
Si

sounds good!
have a look at superbeast's strat.. it has a korina back and a figured walnut (or Koa) top.. looks great under a clear finish and you probably already know how much most of the forum members like Korina. and it is both lighter and brighter than Mahogany, so it seems a good fit!

Simon, what is taking 3 weeks to setup on your axe? I bet he's got it at home enjoying the shit out of your axe, and gonna milk it as long as he can.

I do my own setups, usually after the guitar has been strung up and tuned for a week or 2.  If left undisturbed by loving family, I can set it up in about an hour.
Maybe 2 if theres a problem.

The nice thing about setting up your own guitar, is you can really bring your tolerances close,  whereas someone else may set up your guitar with a certain amount of, whats the term I'm looking for here?  slop, fudge factor, looseness.  So that a small change in something wont cause buzzing etc...

Everyone here should learn to setup their own guitars eventually. It's not that hard, and there is an actual sequence of simple steps to follow to perform a great setup.

^ It went back to have the volume pot relocated, and a 2 way mini switch put in the vol pot's original postion. The only reason I took it to him is because I don't have a pillar drill for drilling the new hole. I didn't fancy drilling a new hole with a hand drill.  I'm no electronics genius, but if it had simply been a case of fitting the switch and pot to drilled holes and wiring them up, I'd have done it myself.

Problem is, he's the only good tech in the area, and tends to get quite a few emergency jobs - broken headstocks etc, especially during school holidays when kids are running around the place, near guitars...you can figure out the rest. Upshot of that is non-urgent jobs like my axe get pushed to the bottom of the pile - I have other guitars to play, and I'm (unfortunately) not currently gigging, so I foolishly said there was no rush.

One of the those classic mouth-not-connected-to-brain moments.  :sad1:

Alfang said:
Simon, what is taking 3 weeks to setup on your axe? I bet he's got it at home enjoying the shit out of your axe, and gonna milk it as long as he can.

I do my own setups, usually after the guitar has been strung up and tuned for a week or 2.  If left undisturbed by loving family, I can set it up in about an hour.
Maybe 2 if theres a problem.

The nice thing about setting up your own guitar, is you can really bring your tolerances close,   whereas someone else may set up your guitar with a certain amount of, whats the term I'm looking for here?  slop, fudge factor, looseness.   So that a small change in something wont cause buzzing etc...

Alfang is there a good web guide where I can glean some points on set ups?

Everyone here should learn to setup their own guitars eventually. It's not that hard, and there is an actual sequence of simple steps to follow to perform a great setup.

well as long as your happy when he's done thats all thaty matters right?

Ted, Did you have a point?

Back