Warmoth WGD build - neck wood help!

bgalizio

Will be starting a WGD build soon. Picked up this nice showcase body as a Christmas gift - mahogany back, pau ferro top, maple binding accent. Going to be 3 humbuckers, volume, treble cut, bass cut, 5 way wiring, push/pull for neck+bridge combo, chrome hardware.

I usually like maple + rosewood necks, but am thinking about alternatives for this build. I could match the body woods. Probably going to use a Warmoth headstock neck, and likely some nice inlays. Any thoughts?

MP668a.jpg

MP668b.jpg

MP668c.jpg

Sure...mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, ivoroid binding, and MOP diamond inlays...tasty, elegant, fits the guitar like a
glove (or like a neck, even...) :icon_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion! Not a huge fan of binding, so may skip that. Are you thinking Ebony because of the original design of this guitar body, or contrast with the pau ferro top?

Any other ideas?

I think GA is right about the ebony. It will accent the dark grain in the top. The Warmoth headstock will be a good choice for it. How about a pau ferro headstock veneer to complete the look?

I have a tele body with the same woods as you have there. I paired it with a Pau Ferro neck with Ebony board for material continuity and colour cordination.

Worked well for me...

https://imgur.com/gallery/0mYlv

Thanks for all of the suggestions. You're definitely talking me into a dark rosewood or ebony fretboard. I'll call about the pau ferro headstock veneer as that could look nice!

On one recent project, I have a wenge neck with a black ebony fretboard and an ebony headstock veneer that shows a bit of grain.  Great neck.  The wenge doesn’t need a finish and feels unreal.  Also, wenge is relatively warm and ebony is super bright.  Similar combo as maple/rosewood.  And it would look great on that body.

I'd go with the ebony fretboard as well, but I'd consider a walnut neck. I think it fits that kind of guitar and I think it looks good almost any time you use it. To me, with a clear finish, it looks better than mahogany 100% of the time.

I ended up sticking close to what I know with roasted maple and rosewood. Once it’s in I’ll do a build thread.

Back