Warmoth Today

Yet another unsatisfying explanation.

And it sounds like somebody else is watching Adult Swim tonight... <grin>

It's satisfying for me, you can dislike the Grateful Dead all you want. If it's a knee-jerk reaction to the "hippie" aspect of it, then don't be surprised if I don't take you seriously. I've met many people who, when actually exposed to some great Dead, were extremely surprised that their view of a bunch of burned out cheech and chongs singing 17 versions of Touch of Grey was incorrect. But hey, I also like Die Antwoord and Ween so I can recognize the value in a wide spectrum of music that other people may not "get".

That's OK, the Ramones are in the rock and roll hall of fame - did they even know how to play a real chord?

To bring it back to Warmoth terms, I probably wouldn't have a WGD for the same reason I'd never want a Languedoc clone - those instruments were custom made for their owners and typically they are the only ones that play them. I would feel weird playing that Uli Jon Roth guitar or one of those perfect frankenstrat copies fender has put out. If I'm going to copy a one of a kind instrument I'd rather build my own one of a kind instrument from Warmoth.

Oh, I didn't watch Adult Swim (?), and SG's are boss.

Incidentally...

Ever seen the video for that tune? It's enough to gag a maggot. One could be forgiven for hating the tune for being forced to watch them do it. You wanna punch all those guys out just on general principles. Personally, I like the tune and think it's well done. Wouldn't change a thing. But, if I were the label, I'd hide the band.

Hehe! Yeah, you gotta wonder what the hell they were thinking about when they did that. I don't even know them and I'm embarrassed for them. I don't know how I'm gonna get those images out of my head. But, I still like the tune.

The Grateful Dead are like black licorice.  Some like, it some dont. Hippies, however changed our world...for the bettrer.  These were the people who dreamed of a diferent way and made it happen (Steve Jobs). Ya, looking back it is easy to make fun of them (us) but the ideas of peace and equality for all should not be forgotten.

I agree that, for me, it would be strange to play a replica of any famous guitar.  I got my own thing going on.

Drugs and art are kind of like Dolby S or encryption. If it was recorded encoded, it likely only makes sense if you have the decoder.

swarfrat said:
Drugs and art are kind of like Dolby S or encryption. If it was recorded encoded, it likely only makes sense if you have the decoder.

That's not necessarily true, BUT in some instances it may make MORE sense...

Eric Banjitar said:
Hippies, however changed our world...for the bettrer.  These were the people who dreamed of a diferent way and made it happen (Steve Jobs).

Yeah!! and what have those hipsters done for us? being all ironic with their silly hats and fluffy beards!

clearerphish said:
But seriously, show me a dead song thats remotely as grating as Love Hurts by Nazareth.

Touché.

Actually, it's a Boudleaux Bryant song.  Everly Brothers recorded it, then Roy Orbison, Gram Parsons cut a version with Emmylou Harris, Jim Capaldi did it, and then Nazareth elevated it to the tier of "cock rock schlock."  Given its provenance, it's surprising Nazareth went after it at all, but then, what else do we remember Nazareth for, besides G'n'R covering their only other biggish hit?  Of course, Nazareth were from Scotland, which was also selling us the Bay City Rollers at the same period. Kinda makes sense now, don't it? 

I think hippies and hipsters are different  :dontknow:  Im ok with hippie dreams but they can still shower and shave cant they?

pabloman said:
I think hippies and hipsters are different  :dontknow:  Im ok with hippie dreams but they can still shower and shave cant they?

Yes I know, I just agreed, hippies changed the world, while today's hipsters are just concerned about looking ridiculous and being ironic...

Marko said:
pabloman said:

Yes I know, I just agreed, hippies changed the world, while today's hipsters are just concerned about looking ridiculous and being ironic...

The hipsters don't all just ride their fixies from one coffee joint to the next, espousing how in-the-know they are about stuff that's way to cool to be mainstream.  A lot of those hipsters work for charities, or work regular private sector productive jobs, and so forth.  Apart from the aesthetic sensibility, I think they are more difficult to generalize about than the politics of the hippies.    Hippies were a massive social movement (irrespective of your moral evaluation of the movement, or the personal habits of the hippies), whereas I think we can more correctly classify the hipsters as participants in a fashion trend.

swarfrat said:

I am fluent in over six million forms of communication.

250px-C3PO_EP3.jpg

Bagman67 said:
The hipsters don't all just ride their fixies from one coffee joint to the next, espousing how in-the-know they are about stuff that's way to cool to be mainstream. 

Seriously... I don't know a whole lot about hipsters, but all the 'grown-ups' were complaining about the way I looked and dressed in the 80s, so it is only fair that It's now my turn to generalize today's subcultures and complain about how ridiculous they look!! not to mention how awful their music is! it's been a tradition since the 50s when kids went crazy for that guy with the obscene hips!! (and probably before that)

Marko said:
Bagman67 said:
The hipsters don't all just ride their fixies from one coffee joint to the next, espousing how in-the-know they are about stuff that's way to cool to be mainstream. 

Seriously... I don't know a whole lot about hipsters, but all the 'grown-ups' were complaining about the way I looked and dressed in the 80s, so it is only fair that It's now my turn to generalize today's subcultures and complain about how ridiculous they look!! not to mention how awful their music is! it's been a tradition since the 50s when kids went crazy for that guy with the obscene hips!! (and probably before that)

Indeed.  It's been the rule for time immemorial that the elders look on as the young make their way, and shake their heads.

exactly!! I look forward to complain about whatever kind of music my kids will like in about 10 years!!
Hopefully the bieberhair has blown over by then, because that is absolutely unacceptable and would be forbidden in my house!

Cagey said:
Hippies are more than a little out-dated, but they had enough of a presence at one time that they're still in the public memory and remain a valid target of ridicule. Sorta like fat people; the position is indefensible.

Ridicule is fine for hippies (and everyone else).  :icon_thumright:

But I find it hilariously ironic that someone would think they are putting their finger up at hippies by creating a "nonconformist" version of a WGD.

Marko said:
I don't know a whole lot about hipsters, but all the 'grown-ups' were complaining about the way I looked and dressed in the 80s, ...

Yeah. What was wrong leopard spandex ... we looked cool!

Back