Warmoth Strat

Jair

My parts came in. Mahogany body with recessed tom, Goncalo neck with Pau fingerboard and SS frets. The body is currently hanging to dry on its second coat of finish. Ive been on lurking and reading all you guys awesome information, I greatly appreciate it all by the way.

Anyways, hello from Michigan everyone and heres some baby pics. :eek:ccasion14:

Holy smokes those pictures are gigantic! A bit hard to get a good feel for how it looks when you can only see a corner :icon_scratch:
But that neck looks great. How are you finishing the body?

kboman said:
How are you finishing the body?

+1?
I bet that the mahogany will look fantastic with a clear or Oil finish! Nice Ribbons!
also very nice Goncalo... this will be great!

Dam, Sorry about that. I guess they did come out huge, I thought I shrank them down in photoshp wtf.  (Fixed them now  :toothy11:)

I stained it with red mahogany then strategically sanded back the red stain and added gun stock 231 then top coating with wipe on poly. The body basically matches the Goncalo better now and it really turned out pretty nice I think. Ill post a picture of it later....smaller one hopefully.

Here is what its looking like so far, after only one coat of satin poly. I will probably do five coats. It seems to be a bit shiner than I thought it would.

At first I was going to use tung oil but I don't want to wait for so long for it to cure and then have to re-coat once or twice a year.

Interesting finish! The neck looks great!!
Where are you from Jair??? Your name looks very brazilian

That's a very unique finish. The completed guitar should look very interesting.

What did you have in mind for the pickups?

That's nice, Nice, NICE! I especially like that neck. I'll be interested to see how this turns out - I might have to steal some ideas <grin>

What color pickguard do you have planned for it?

And talk about small worlds - I'm in Michigan, too. North of The Blasted Lands, in Clinton Twp.

Thanks I cant wait to see it finished as well.
The finish I am going for was/is something a bit different than the norm, I wanted something sort of gunslinger-ish I suppose could be a good description for it. I did not fill the grain as I wanted to keep a sort of old natural look and feel. I like it.
The pickups I'm using are a set of Dragonsfire hot rails in the neck and middle and a Dimarzio DP 102 X2N in the bridge. The Dragonsfire hot rails may be temporary depending how they sound, I was getting low on funds for this project and got a deal on them. This is going to be used for mainly metal.

The pickguard is a custom flat or matte black that I ordered from Tarpin ? I believe is the name. The controls I am still up in the air about, I have three mini on off on switches I was going to use so that I could maybe try some split or parallel options, but Ive been thinking about using three volume pots and just running them strait up. I ordered the guard with just the three pot holes pre-drilled and figured I would add the mini switch holes myself after I decide what to do. Any cool ideas?

I'm from Muskegon West side next to the lake. Cool to see another Michigan resident here.

The Jair is not Brazilian, or at least for me its not, my name is Gerald and my wife and friends all call me Jer and the wife spells it Jair. I just use the name for forums.

Back