Warmoth Strat build found on craigslist

James51453

Okay, different strokes for different folks and all that, but this is well... I've seen a few mild relic jobs that didn't look that bad, but I'm not sure what the inspiration for this was - Jimi's burnt strat, perhaps? The price is only $550, which is usually pretty cheap for any Warmoth build, but still.
1696810927091.jpeg

Maybe it was inspired by the Mike Landau “Burning Water” signature guitar. I admit it’s not really my thing either.

Wow. I have a grinder too and my first thought when I pick it up has never been 'let's go f@#% up my guitar'. Will never understand the whole artificial 'relic' thing I guess.

Perhaps it would work better with a single coil in the bridge and a parchment pickguard :)

Well, you might have to replace the body, neck, hardware, and electronics to get an ideal instrument out of it judging by the pic...

looks like there was once a lam top on that thing. If it were mine I would strip it, plane down the face, and apply a new lam-top.

Then route the holes etc and finish it.

That's what happens when, for fun, on stage you spray on some lighter fluid, light the thing, and then the bartender throws a pitcher of beer on it, cause the flames are so high, then you give the burnt up git to your nephew who tries to resurrect it, does what he can. I guess it's OK. I'd paint the whole thing brown and be done with it.

I don’t know what you guys are talking about. It looks like “legit” and “honest” play wear to me.

The price is only $550, which is usually pretty cheap for any Warmoth build, but still.
I think the seller is going to be highly disappointed as I can easily see buyers' reactions being "I'm just going to Guitar Center for a brand new guitar that isn't horribly beaten up like this for about the same price, if not lower."

Also, please wake me when the relicing fad is over (rhetorical statement since this nightmare has apparently been going for well over 10 years, if not longer).

Last edited:
Hey, if the OP likes the look of this guitar, well at least the body and neck should be high quality (Warmoth). If the pickups are good, too, that asking price does not sound too bad to me?

Hey, if the OP likes the look of this guitar, well at least the body and neck should be high quality (Warmoth). If the pickups are good, too, that asking price does not sound too bad to me?
Yeah, bro, this isn't a bad deal even if you toss the fugly body. tbh I'm not mad at the guy for this distressing attempt. maybe it was his first rodeo. or second or third. not everybody knows everything by their second rodeo. seems like a low number of rodeos. like, after decades of rodeos having to buy my pizza and sunglasses at two different Huts, i'm close to securing funding and angel investors for the world's first full-service bar and grill slash optometrist office.

it'll be one of the few indoor places where it is acceptable to leave your shades on.

Last edited:
"I'm selling my warmoth strat because I royally screwed up the relic job......."

Things you never hear in a guitar classified ad

Back