Warmoth SG Strap Button Placement? Semi-dumb question...

myramyd

Hello all,

I know this is a somewhat dumb question but I'm wondering where you would put the strap button on the Warmoth SG? The Gibson version has it smack in the middle of where the neck plate is on a Warmoth SG and it seems strange to relocate it elsewhere?

I've thought strongly about building a Warmoth SG "Classic" using P90s (drool)  ala Pete Townshend and strangely enough this issue is making me uneasy. I actually love where it's at on a Gibson since it gives me a nice angle and range of movement. So relocating it to a "Strat" position on the horn somewhere would loose all appeal for me. I have a hard time getting good playing angles with Strats or Les Paul Double Cuts for example. I currently have a Gibson SG Faded and love it for lots of reasons but would love to build my own even better Warmoth version.

Thoughts? I'm sure lots have built Warmoth SGs before and just curious where you've put the strap button. Behind the neck plate? Off to the side? :help:

Thanks in advance!
John

Putting it on the horn (as some SG owners do) helps
to balance the weight so it isn't so neck heavy.

Just be REAL careful how you do it.

You could just drill a hole in the middle of the jackplate an appropriate size and install the strap holder in the same location. The length of the screw that holds the strap holder on varies with mfgr., but you can find the equivalent wood screw of appropriate length at any hardware store.

jackthehack said:
You could just drill a hole in the middle of the jackplate an appropriate size and install the strap holder in the same location. The length of the screw that holds the strap holder on varies with mfgr., but you can find the equivalent wood screw of appropriate length at any hardware store.

This sounds like a pretty good solution so far. Don't know why I didn't think of that!

Jack has had too many beers, sorry, no such thing as too many beers, I'm sure he meant to say neck plate not jack plate.

Jack is jack and refers to all his plates as "jack"

But as I read your post , that was my thoughts as well, just pre-drill the neckplate big enough to accept the strap button screw, then once installed drill the pilot hole into the wood.

I would drill and tap the plate and install a 10-32 screw, maybe 8-32, whatever fits, and cut the protruding threads flush on the backside.

Funny your the first one to address this.

This is how I did it on a mockingbird. It balances great. It's also very close to the SG factory spot so it should work for you.

Attachments

• lj0025.JPG
    lj0025.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 515
I like willyk's spot, genious

nonsensetele will have you painting it all black too, so don't listen to him,

Yeah I had the same problem. I'm fitting mine at the back of the body closest to edge of the upper horn (basically where the body is still flat).

Difficult to describe.  :icon_scratch:

Willyk,  ive considered doing that to a build i made which has very little horns. But does the Strap pin get in the way at all? 

>JR< said:
Willyk,  ive considered doing that to a build i made which has very little horns. But does the Strap pin get in the way at all? 

If you mean does your thumb catch on it when you're fretting high, no it doesn't impede "MY" progress. That's not to say you would find it comfortable, I don't know how you play. Unless you play a lot with your thumb braced on the neck heel you should find this spot ideal. The guitar balances beautifully, much nicer than a gibson SG position. Try taping a cork or something in that spot and see if it annoys you before committing yourself and reaching for the drill....all the best mate!  Willy

Yeah--I found it strange that I could not find this topic on the board already--unless I just didn't search well. Judging from the Mockingbird pic, I'm sure you would run into this issue on several body shapes. I had thought about on the butt of the heel joint like that but I would probably get a contoured heel as well, so that would be another factor.

I really appreciate the input, I think the hole through the neckplate sounds great. Like I said, I actually like that placement for my playing, so it would work out great. Now I just need to get the money together and get it ordered!

Thanks to all!

What happened to those neck attachment ferrules that can replace the neck plate? Specifically for the contoured, right?

I drilled right through the neck plate on my Warmoth SG. It worked out perfect and feels and hangs perfect.

black_neck_plate.jpg

WSG2.jpg

>JR< said:
bitchin. Im doing that to the stupid guitar in my picture..

The only thing stupid about that guitar is the picture! It's far too small for us to get a good look at it. Come on mate show us what ya got !!

ha! its in pieces at the moment. the guitar was too heavy so i decided to rout the shit outa it, and chuck an F hole on the front. The only problem is the rosewood i was gonna use as a backplate i ended up using on  the electric violin.. so i need to get some more, but as soon as she's in one piece again, ill be sure to take some snap shots. Ill even throw in some progress shots.

Back