Warmoth route for SD P-90 Stack?

GoDrex

I noticed on the W site it says the route depth is 3/4 inches.

On SD's site it says this about the Stack pickups:

"For use in any P-90 guitar. However, if your pickup cavity is less than 1.25 inches (32 mm) deep in the neck position or .75 inches (19 mm) in the bridge position, guitar modification may be necessary."

I'm just curious what the deal is here?

Also anyone ever use these pickups?

Those SD stacked P90s must be really thick requiring a pickup rout depth of 1-25".

I installed a pair of Fralin P90s with polepiece screws going beyond the pickups' base in my Warmoth LP and they came out perfect even with rubber paddings inside the cavities for height adjustments.

Kinman is coming out with stacked noiseless P90s (Hx90) in February and they recommend a depth of 1.25" as well.

http://www.kinman.com/image/pdf/Kinman%20Hx-90%20install%20dimensions.pdf

Perhaps you can ask Warmoth to custom rout a deeper pickup cavity and let us know of their response.  I am intending to build another LP using Kinman's P90s.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
I've never heard of stacked p-90's before, but i'm guessing they would sound big and powerful?

They are supposed to sound the same but without the single coil hum.  Gibson produces their own called P100 which, in my humble opinion, failed to capture that true P90 tone.  I have not used Duncan's stacked version but I am waiting to try out Kinman's with the hope of getting that vintage sounding character without any annoying hum.

They are very thick.  I have a SD P90-STK in my PRS One and I had to carve a good chunk out of the pickup cavity to cram that baby in.  Soundwise, it is fantastic.  I have a push pull pot that let's me switch between series and parallel on the stacked coil, and it's actually a pretty versatile setup for a single P90 guitar.

Back