EMG Single Coil Route with Non-EMG Single Coils?

opsopcopolis

Hey everybody, on the verge of putting in a rear routed strat body build and I'm curious if anybody has tried dropping non-EMGs into the oval EMG route. I prefer the aesthetic of the EMG route and my hope is to use a G&L S-500 MFD set (https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups/products/g-l-mfd-pickup-for-s-500) that are oval single coils rather than the standard vintage strat triangular shape.

I did a search and saw mention of a few options (SD 1/4lb, SSL 5, etc...) but am curious if anybody has actually installed any of those in the Warmoth EMG route and how it went.

FTR I called in and was told that the main issue would most likely be that the leads on EMGs (and thus the wire route) are on the opposite side from most others, but I don't think that's necessarily a dealbreaker...

stratamania

You would need to find pickups that do not have a triangular type base plate such as most Strat type pickups have.

EMG strat size pickups fit in a normal Strat pickguard so dimensionally as long as the pickup you want to use is a Strat size without the triangular base plate you should be fine.

Kinman offer all of their pickups made to order with a choice of either type of baseplate for example.

opsopcopolis

stratamania said:
You would need to find pickups that do not have a triangular type base plate such as most Strat type pickups have.

I'm not super concerned about that part as I have a set picked out and know there are other options available. Hoping somebody has some first hand experience direct mounting them in a warmoth body though.

Probably a non-issue but this is my first Warmoth build and I want to get it right!  :icon_biggrin:

Lbpesq

I've installed Alembic pickups several times on Warmoth and other rear mount Strat bodies with EMG type PU routs.  No problem.

Bill, tgo

opsopcopolis

Ended up putting in the build with the EMG routes. We'll see how it goes!

Attachments

• final.png
    final.png
    737.5 KB · Views: 95

TheOtherEric

I was faced with this issue on an unpainted body, but learned that there are very few options for single coil pickups without the larger baseplate. E.g. no Dimarzio single coils would fit. So I set it out to get the hole enlarged. Hopefully you already know exactly what pickups you want, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Re-Pete

TheOtherEric said:
I was faced with this issue on an unpainted body, but learned that there are very few options for single coil pickups without the larger baseplate. E.g. no Dimarzio single coils would fit. So I set it out to get the hole enlarged. Hopefully you already know exactly what pickups you want, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Just as an FYI.... I checked up on Bartolini Pickups and their Strat pickups seem to have a similar base profile to EMGs. I have no idea what they would sound like, but Tommy Emmanuel's Telecaster had a Bartolini installed in at least one position.

https://bartolini.net/product/ace-sv/

Gil Music

I installed lace sensor pickups into an EMG route body which is a perfect fit! You can find some pics in below link :)

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33251.0