Warmoth QM-Topped Soloist

rapfohl09

So I just got settled after moving again (twice in 7 months is seriously a pain) and have been neglecting my guitars in generally, especially this one. I am sure a couple of you remember that I got this quilted maple topped soloist a little bit ago for less than what most of the unique choice tops cost by themselves because of the fact that the battery box was too close to the edge. Don't care, lets do it.

I have had the body and a large chunk of the parts for a bit now, and just never got around to taking pictures. I will get some soon, I am hoping that actually making this thread will give me some motivation.

Now, I got on the boards today for the first time in a few weeks and what is the first thing I see? Someone saying that Warmoth had put a load of no-inlay necks in the showcase...and I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. Andddddd done.

I have heard a lot of good things about Goncalo, and this thing is a quite a beauty, and to all the right specs. Not even a hard decision. Pics of that once it gets here.

I have to figure out the finishing, but this will more than likely get finished pretty quick.

That looks lovely! You got to get that beauty finished. Any ideas on type of finish you want to do?

Man, that neck is sexy. Body looks great too!

I must have missed those no inlay necks. I could only get one to come up in the Showcase. Guess you guys snatched them all up.  :sad:

I know I promised pictures, but the neck will be getting here soon, most likely Monday, and I will take some then.

I did a little work today, as trivial as it was. I got some pickup rings from Warmoth, and I really liked the way that they were nice and fitted around the EMGs. Although Warmoth didn't say that they were flat, I assumed that they would be. However, they were tapered. I looked around for a little while trying to find another set of rings, but in the end I had a crazy idea.

And I made this,

The neck inserts were almost exactly the same height as the shorter side of the rings, so I sanded the ring on a nice flat piece of MDF till the inserts touched evenly. Bam.

The one on the left isn't done yet, and the one on the right is.

It was one of those things that was really unbelievable that it worked as well as it did. Are they perfectly injection-molded flat? No, not really, but they are surprisingly damn close.

Again, some actual pictures of all the pieces soon.

As promised, here we go. I attached the neck because it is just way easier to take pictures that way.

I am almost positive this is a one piece body. Unless it is joined off-center, I can't find a joint to save my life.

Really excited about these SS frets.

I have to think someone planned to match those grain lines up. Like seriously, they are spot on each other, one flows perfectly into the other. It's crazy.

Words can't really express how excited I am about this guy. I have never been un-impressed with Warmoth, but every time I get a piece from them I am just so damn impressed with how everything turns out. I got some finishing supplies too, so keep an eye out.

rapfohl09 said:
Words can't really express how excited I am about this guy. I have never been un-impressed with Warmoth, but every time I get a piece from them I am just so damn impressed with how everything turns out. I got some finishing supplies too, so keep an eye out.

I know what you mean. I've had boxes show up here from them that just made me laugh out loud with joy and happiness. The parts are just so beautiful, you have to see them to believe them. They cost a pile, but Hoo Boy! Extra nice stuff.

Not getting a lot of action here, so I decided to skip a few steps with the photos.

I wanted to keep this finish super simple. I also wanted to not freak out about how to make it perfect, and spend a million hours researching how to do it. I have been really feeling the washed black or blue look lately, so I decided this one would be black.

I made some really concentrated black dye with the stuff Stew-Mac sells, wiped it down, sanded it back, and then wiped it again quick with a really dilute black dye to try and even things out (it is surprisingly difficult to get an even washed look). Now I am putting layer after layer of tung oil on. Ta-da, easy peasy.

At this point I'm 3 coats in...

The white piece of cardboard I had it on washed the colors out, this picture is probably the best shot of the actual colors.

Some beautiful deep mahogany.

That looks fantastic! Always liked washed black finishes, and you've done a fine job.

Thanks guys :icon_thumright:

I did this in about 2 hours one day. I am someone who likes to psych themselves out about doing things, so this time I just jumped right in. I had it quite a bit more "washed" but it was kind of patchy. I did that second dilute coat to even things out and I thought it looked pretty good, so I went with it!

I can't get over the top, they let this thing go for about what you would get a solid poplar body for. I think it looks dang good!

Ok I am done with the finish. I put 4 coats on and it has a nice sort of low-gloss I guess you would call it. When you hold it up to a light and look at an angle you can tell that I got a little too aggressive with the sand paper when I was sanding back the top, but live and learn I guess.

I am going to do a light assembly, and then ship this guy off to Cagey so he can work his final assembly and set up magic.

I'll take a few pictures with the neck on the finished body tomorrow, the body is just hanging to dry. I am pretty sure it's dry, but hey why not just leave it hanging there.

Give it a couple/few days to cure at least, if not a week. You don't want to be shipping it around while the finish is still soft. It may feel dry, but that doesn't mean it's done venting its spleen.

Cagey said:
Give it a couple/few days to cure at least, if not a week. You don't want to be shipping it around while the finish is still soft. It may feel dry, but that doesn't mean it's done venting its spleen.

I am headed to California until a week from today, so I figured I would leave it to hang till then :icon_thumright:

Wise move.

I remember a couple years ago Tonar shipped a lacquer-finished body overseas, and it suffered. He's a real pro, and I know there's no way he shipped it early. He knows better. Hell, I wish I knew as much as he's forgotten. But, he had to do it over. Hate to have yours show up all fuzzy from case rash or something.

This is looking good. The grain match between the fingerboard and the line in the headstock is a nice touch.

Here we are today. This guitar was originally going to go to Cagey for the works, but an impulse buy (a car...) left me pinching pennies. Yesterday I cut the nut so I could actually string it up and got the humbuckers mounted. I forgot to drill the holes for the single coil before I got some string put on, so I am just going to do it next time I have them off.

Sorry some of these are so crappy. I don't have good sunlight until the afternoon.

Beautiful. Great work on the quilted top, and the neck with no inlays works very well with it. I love that no-nonsense yet classy look.

Back