Warmoth gibson styles

smavridis

am i the only one who feels like building a gibson style warmoth is odd because of the bolt on neck? i just dont think it would feel right. your thoughts?

Am I the only one that thinks it would be odd to buy a Gibson?  J/K

That comes up quite often.  I wouldn't think it odd, because it's not a Gibson.  If I were to have a Gibson-style Warmoth, it would have a 25 1/2" scale length.  Like the bolt-on neck, that scale length is very un-Gibson.  Warmoth parts are built to be Fender replacements, so it's already a stretch for me.  Just think.  Your Fender neck will fit a Warmoth LP body, or they could make a neck with a Gibby headstock that would fit your Strat.

There are many hairs to split over bolt-on vs. set neck.  If it's a comfort thing, there's always the contoured heel.  If it's a sustain thing, a longer scale length sustains better than a shorter one, regardless of bolt-on or set neck.  If it's a "looks" thing, get over it.  This is a Warmoth, and not Gibson, forum, so I wouldn't expect to hear statements like, "My Gibson is great and I'm never buying another Warmoth."  But, I constantly hear, and have said, "I'm done buying factory made, assembly line assembled guitars," or something similar.

I am considering building a les paul special type guitar from Warmoth parts.  I don't really see any major difference as far as the contour of the neck to body connection, and it looks like you can have a 24 3/4" conversion neck if you prefer the Gibson scale.  I would be interested in hearing others experience.

Who? said:
I am considering building a les paul special type guitar from Warmoth parts.  I don't really see any major difference as far as the contour of the neck to body connection, and it looks like you can have a 24 3/4" conversion neck if you prefer the Gibson scale.  I would be interested in hearing others experience.

Do it. I built one just like that and I absolutely love it.

Well I really love my Explorer.  But I can't wait until I can build my Warmoth Gibson-style V.  I really want to compare the feel, but I'm quite sure I'll enjoy the Warmoth more, and I'll feel much more comfortable with the bolt-on's durability.

i don't know if this is psychological, but at some level i simply cannot accept a bolt-on les paul or sg or v.

i have a lp jr special plus (with a tummy cut and a flat maple top) and i love it and cannot imagine replacing it with a bolt on.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Am I the only one that thinks it would be odd to buy a Gibson?  J/K

That comes up quite often.  I wouldn't think it odd, because it's not a Gibson.  If I were to have a Gibson-style Warmoth, it would have a 25 1/2" scale length.  Like the bolt-on neck, that scale length is very un-Gibson.  Warmoth parts are built to be Fender replacements, so it's already a stretch for me.  Just think.  Your Fender neck will fit a Warmoth LP body, or they could make a neck with a Gibby headstock that would fit your Strat.

There are many hairs to split over bolt-on vs. set neck.  If it's a comfort thing, there's always the contoured heel.  If it's a sustain thing, a longer scale length sustains better than a shorter one, regardless of bolt-on or set neck.  If it's a "looks" thing, get over it.  This is a Warmoth, and not Gibson, forum, so I wouldn't expect to hear statements like, "My Gibson is great and I'm never buying another Warmoth."  But, I constantly hear, and have said, "I'm done buying factory made, assembly line assembled guitars," or something similar.

+1 on that!!!  My concern is quality over quantity or branded name any day of the week.  If you want an assembly line Gibson over a made to order Warmoth, go for it...
I will stick with my Warmoth every day and be proud...  :hello2: :headbang: :hello2:

Who? said:

Hey Who...
Really don't have anything to add to your question.  Just want to let you know that I consistently get a laugh at your pic.  Very nice; Egyptian style head gear with straws sticking out of your nose. 
Very original...
:toothy12: :laughing8: :toothy12: :laughing8: :toothy12:

bbl4ck said:
Who? said:

Hey Who...
Really don't have anything to add to your question.  Just want to let you know that I consistently get a laugh at your pic.  Very nice; Egyptian style head gear with straws sticking out of your nose. 
Very original...
Rowan atkinson. I think that picture is when he was in black adder?

DangerousR6 said:
It's all psychological, get over it.....Buy a bolt on...... :icon_thumright:

alright ill take your words for it. you guys do usually point me in the right direction!

smavridis said:
am i the only one who feels like building a gibson style warmoth is odd because of the bolt on neck? i just dont think it would feel right. your thoughts?

I had the same opinion. I decided to try a WLP, I knew even if it wasn't sound like an LP at least it would sound great like all my other W's. I feel my WLP sounds like a Gibson despite the bolt on neck and the different radius. A plus for the W is the neck joint, it's more comfortable than a Gibson.

If I had the money to travel all over Europe to try and buy a VOS I would do it, but I wouldn't choose any other LP over my Warmoth.

Wana's made a guitar said:
bbl4ck said:
Who? said:
I am considering building a les paul special type guitar from Warmoth parts.  I don't really see any major difference as far as the contour of the neck to body connection, and it looks like you can have a 24 3/4" conversion neck if you prefer the Gibson scale.  I would be interested in hearing others experience.

Hey Who...
Really don't have anything to add to your question.  Just want to let you know that I consistently get a laugh at your pic.  Very nice; Egyptian style head gear with straws sticking out of your nose.  
Very original...

Yep from the forth series, and now I am obliged to say....

Wibble

Nick Ellingworth said:
bbl4ck said:
Who? said:
I am considering building a les paul special type guitar from Warmoth parts.  I don't really see any major difference as far as the contour of the neck to body connection, and it looks like you can have a 24 3/4" conversion neck if you prefer the Gibson scale.  I would be interested in hearing others experience.

Hey Who...
Really don't have anything to add to your question.  Just want to let you know that I consistently get a laugh at your pic.  Very nice; Egyptian style head gear with straws sticking out of your nose.  
Very original...

Wibble
I have a very cunning plan..................

I love my Warmoth LP (Still keeping my fingers crossed it has not been stolen while in route to Germany).  With the contoured heel, you actually have better upper fret access then you do with the standard Gibson neck.  My Warmoth plays and feels better then my Gibson LP.  I am curently planning my next LP build.

Bill

Nick Ellingworth said:
bbl4ck said:
Who? said:

Hey Who...
Very original...

Wibble

Yep - that was from the last episode (in WWI) where he was trying to claim that he was insane to avoid going over the top.  Didn't work.

mayfly said:
Nick Ellingworth said:
bbl4ck said:
Who? said:

Hey Who...
Very original...

Wibble

Yep - that was from the last episode (in WWI) where he was trying to claim that he was insane to avoid going over the top.  Didn't work.

I must be the only person on the planet that has not seen this flick.  I will have to check it ooooouuut.

I honestly think that anyone that is concerned about a Gibson style Warmoth should not buy one. And the reason is that they will always be worried that there's something wrong with their guitar. Just the fact that they thought of it in the first place makes me think that if they get a Warmoth LP or SG, the question of whether something is wrong with it or should they have gotten a Gibson will always be in the back (or the front) of their mind. Get a Gibson and then you'll never worry that you did the wrong thing by getting guitar with a bolt-on neck.

at first, I was apprehensive about buying a bolt on les paul, but it turned better than I could have ever hoped for. the tone and feel of a warmoth LP is just awesome. no gibson can match that. Its not a 'les paul' cause there's no gibson on the head, but the tone is more les paul to me, and the feel, playability and comfort are much better/higher than on a gibson.

the neck pockets gibson routs are so wide, they really NEED the glue to attach the neck to the body, cause its just not tight. on a warmoth, the neckpocket is so tight, the body can hang on the neck, without screws...

Back