Warmoth gibson styles

mayfly said:
Nick Ellingworth said:
Wana's made a guitar said:
bbl4ck said:
Who? said:
I am considering building a les paul special type guitar from Warmoth parts.  I don't really see any major difference as far as the contour of the neck to body connection, and it looks like you can have a 24 3/4" conversion neck if you prefer the Gibson scale.  I would be interested in hearing others experience.

Hey Who...
Really don't have anything to add to your question.  Just want to let you know that I consistently get a laugh at your pic.  Very nice; Egyptian style head gear with straws sticking out of your nose.  
Very original...
:toothy12: :laughing8: :toothy12: :laughing8: :toothy12:
Rowan atkinson. I think that picture is when he was in black adder?

Yep from the forth series, and now I am obliged to say....

Wibble

Yep - that was from the last episode (in WWI) where he was trying to claim that he was insane to avoid going over the top.  Didn't work.

*cough* ripoff *cough*

images

Your obviously considering a Gibson "Style" W otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question. Mull these issues over - To purchase a top quality Les Paul is somewhere in the $3000-$5000 range. My best friend just bought a Limited Edition Custom Black/Silver Burst. Is it nice - you bet - $3900 nice. For the same amount of money you could purchase two Warmoth Les Pauls and get exactly what you want - Wood, Color, Neck Shapes, Scale, Fret Sizes. Go back to Gibson and tell them you like their $3900 Custom but would really like a different fret size and you're thinking that Mahogany is not the body wood for you and see how that goes.

Then there is the neck joint - Gibson lovers love their glued on necks. I know every body has their opinion about neck joints - To me the set neck has to be the least favorable of the three most popular styles. Let's see - a one piece set up that goes from the tip of the headstock to the butt of the guitar - another style that is fit with a very tight joint then bolted tightly into place - or a semi-tight/loose joint that is held together with a crap load of glue.  :doh: What exactly is the tonal characteristics of wood glue?

If the comfort of your hand is your concern - like others have said get the contoured heel and then go one further and get the bolt inserts and you can eliminate the neck plate entirely. My opinion is you go with a Warmoth and use the suggestions given in this thread - you will never look at a Gibson again - except to get ideas for your next Warmoth build.

Good Luck.

DslDwg said:
My best friend just bought a Limited Edition Custom Black/Silver Burst. Is it nice - you bet - $3900 nice. For the same amount of money you could purchase two Warmoth Les Pauls and get exactly what you want - Wood, Color, Neck Shapes, Scale, Fret Sizes
For $3900 you may have enough cash left over after two Warmoths to get an amp too.

DslDwg said:
Your obviously considering a Gibson "Style" W otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question. Mull these issues over - To purchase a top quality Les Paul is somewhere in the $3000-$5000 range. My best friend just bought a Limited Edition Custom Black/Silver Burst. Is it nice - you bet - $3900 nice. For the same amount of money you could purchase two Warmoth Les Pauls and get exactly what you want - Wood, Color, Neck Shapes, Scale, Fret Sizes. Go back to Gibson and tell them you like their $3900 Custom but would really like a different fret size and you're thinking that Mahogany is not the body wood for you and see how that goes.

Then there is the neck joint - Gibson lovers love their glued on necks. I know every body has their opinion about neck joints - To me the set neck has to be the least favorable of the three most popular styles. Let's see - a one piece set up that goes from the tip of the headstock to the butt of the guitar - another style that is fit with a very tight joint then bolted tightly into place - or a semi-tight/loose joint that is held together with a crap load of glue.  :doh: What exactly is the tonal characteristics of wood glue?

If the comfort of your hand is your concern - like others have said get the contoured heel and then go one further and get the bolt inserts and you can eliminate the neck plate entirely. My opinion is you go with a Warmoth and use the suggestions given in this thread - you will never look at a Gibson again - except to get ideas for your next Warmoth build.

Good Luck.

you read me like a book...

I once emailed Gibson with the question for a les paul with a koa top on walnut back. the custom shop, why do the even bother to call it CUSTOM SHOP (LOSERS!), didn't want or couldn't do it. but to have a koa top on mah. back and the usual stuff would cost me well, almost the price of a HOUSE.

They just put up a bunch of flattop LPs of one piece mahogany that would make really awesome builds. Couple of nice P90s and a wraparound on a lightweight one piece mahogany body - AHHHH! Don't need any more...don't need any more....back to work...back to work...

Blue313 said:
DslDwg said:
My best friend just bought a Limited Edition Custom Black/Silver Burst. Is it nice - you bet - $3900 nice. For the same amount of money you could purchase two Warmoth Les Pauls and get exactly what you want - Wood, Color, Neck Shapes, Scale, Fret Sizes
For $3900 you may have enough cash left over after two Warmoths to get an amp too.

Well I was assuming top flight woods, finishes and hardware. But yes you are absolutely correct.

I was thinking flat top mahogany with two P90 pickups (tv yellow, I think).  I thought it would be a great build also.  I was in a shop last weekend looking at some Gibsons.  None were exactly what I wanted, and they are quite pricey.  It seems Warmoth gives me a little more choice, and the pride of having put it together myself.

I didn't know there were so many Black Adder fans around.  I liked all four seasons.  "Poor Bob Parker made to look the ass dressed as a woman!"

Back