Warmoth Fretless Guitar

line6man said:
jay4321 said:
So then, it doesn't need a Floyd?

BLASPHEMY!

Every guitar needs a Floyd!

I didn't used to think this, as I have a few vintage none floyd strats, but the fact that I only tune my floyds ONCE & they're good to go for weeks at a time & the none floyd guitars need tweaking after every song, makes me agree with you whole heartedly.

Anyway, all this talk about fretless guitars has started a fire in my belly that can't wait for a Warmoth build. So, I'm taking one of my guitars, a neck thru custom build strat w/ a bass wood body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard & a floyd & having it de-fretted & line markers put in. This way, I can try it out much sooner than later. This guitar needs re-fretting, so if it doesn't work out, I can slap some new frets on there & all is well. But, I have a feeling that a fretless guitar is going to open up a whole new world of tonal possibilites for me. Can't wait to try some Alain Caron licks on my six string.

Check out Mr Caron doing what he does best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDMelmMktm8&feature=related

Doughboy said:
I didn't used to think this, as I have a few vintage none floyd strats, but the fact that I only tune my floyds ONCE & they're good to go for weeks at a time & the none floyd guitars need tweaking after every song, makes me agree with you whole heartedly.
Some locking tuners can fix that up in a jiffy.

AutoBat said:
Doughboy said:
Some locking tuners can fix that up in a jiffy.

One of them has locking tuners & a graphite nut, but it still goes out of tune. Nothing beats a floyd for staying in tune.

Doughboy said:
Anyway, all this talk about fretless guitars has started a fire in my belly that can't wait for a Warmoth build. So, I'm taking one of my guitars, a neck thru custom build strat w/ a bass wood body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard & a floyd & having it de-fretted & line markers put in.

just remember, the line is only an approximation. The "real" note is somewhere else on the board...

koshersteel said:
Doughboy said:
Anyway, all this talk about fretless guitars has started a fire in my belly that can't wait for a Warmoth build. So, I'm taking one of my guitars, a neck thru custom build strat w/ a bass wood body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard & a floyd & having it de-fretted & line markers put in.

just remember, the line is only an approximation. The "real" note is somewhere else on the board...

This is one of the advantages to unlined.
Lines can be confusing, because they don't always represent the correct intonation.

Doughboy said:
Anyway, all this talk about fretless guitars has started a fire in my belly that can't wait for a Warmoth build. So, I'm taking one of my guitars, a neck thru custom build strat w/ a bass wood body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard & a floyd & having it de-fretted & line markers put in. This way, I can try it out much sooner than later. This guitar needs re-fretting, so if it doesn't work out, I can slap some new frets on there & all is well. But, I have a feeling that a fretless guitar is going to open up a whole new world of tonal possibilites for me. Can't wait to try some Alain Caron licks on my six string.

While impressive for what it is, it's just a bunch of scale runs. Kinda boring.... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
Doughboy said:

While impressive for what it is, it's just a bunch of scale runs. Kinda boring.... :dontknow:

Yeah, that's really not all that interesting.

If you're going to post an Alain Caron video, you better make it interesting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITQd2NtbOKA

Alain Caron is the bees knees.

Not only is he the greatest bass player alive, but he's one of the nicest & most humble people you could ever meet.

I saw him with Mike Stern earlier this month & he was amazing as usual.

I pray nightly for a UZEB reunion.

Back