Warmoth Failure. Why I will never order from Warmoth again.

Going by the JOTB section, it does appear that our feline companions have more than a passing interest in arrivals from Puyallup. (You guys might want to check the local exterminator would be my guess.) Hope you get it straightened out.

Kids, too. More than a hand-full of my guitars have wound up mysteriously damaged over the years. -Conjures images of the Family Circus character named NOT-ME. Felt that I'd exterminate all three of my NOT-ME's, at times! Something about being my own flesh-n-blood kept 'em alive in spite of the dents, scratches and teeth-marks that seemingly just appeared on my instruments in those early days.

So... are there any  Syntheticocean Jr.'s?  :icon_jokercolor:

Seriously, though, hope it all works out for ya. -Just keep in mind, W is the best at what they do with what they have to work with.  -They get what they get; -can't be there to manage and over-see the growth and formation of every tree.

I have spoken with customer service. I will b Editing my post from earlier, later on tonight.I agree I may have been rude towards the company through my original post. My intentions were never to deface warmoth. I put my heart and soul into building this gyitar and I was in tears when I saw what had happened. I guess ill wait and see what happens.

I hope it works out.  I even recall your frustration when you had moisture around the bridge during wet sanding. 

Just think you may get to do it all over again. 

As far as Warmoth quality, I do not think they can be beat.  This was a fluke and over the years on this board the posts questioning Warmoth quality have been in the single digits.  Just log into any Gibson or any other brand forum and you will see a good 20% of those posts discussing issues.

Wyliee is a great dude.  If it can be rectified he is the man it get it done. 

Cagey said:
Syntheticocean said:
Worst case scenario I'll be burning the body, and making a new one myself. My glue joints hold. Period.

but I'd wager the glue joint didn't break; the wood delaminated along the grain. It happens, especially on softer, straight-grained woods like Poplar. It usually takes some heavy stress to do it, but it's surprising how much stress a hunk of wood can exert while drying. If I had to guess, without any evidence of trauma, that's what happened here. The wood shrunk more than its own integrity could take, so it split.

I think you have hit it right on the head KG!  Mr. Syntheticocean mentioned that he lives in Arizona.  I don't know where in Arizona he lives, but I live in Phoenix and the low humidty here really does shrink up the wood.  Every neck that I have ever purchased from Warmoth has to have the frets cleaned up after 1 to 1-1/2 years.  The wood shrinks so much the fret ends are hanging over the edge of the fretboard tearing up my fingers.  So this event does not totally shock me considering what I have seen in my necks. 

Good luck and I would be very surprised if Warmoth does not help you out in some fashion. 
:rock-on:

Solid chunks of wood split, too. Every looked at the 2x4s they sell at Lowe's? Ever seen a deck?

stain-old-wood-deck.jpg

Part of what makes "good" wood expensive is that it survived being killed. There's such a thing as "yield", which describes how much useful material you get from what you try to make available. Wood is notorious for breaking into pieces as it ages/dries.

Cagey said:
Ever seen a deck?

Great for simultaneously building and breaking strong back as well as honing fine finishing/sealing skills (it pays to get the expensive  :redflag: good stuff!)

Black Dog said:
I think you have hit it right on the head KG!  Mr. Syntheticocean mentioned that he lives in Arizona.  I don't know where in Arizona he lives, but I live in Phoenix and the low humidty here really does shrink up the wood.  Every neck that I have ever purchased from Warmoth has to have the frets cleaned up after 1 to 1-1/2 years.  The wood shrinks so much the fret ends are hanging over the edge of the fretboard tearing up my fingers.  So this event does not totally shock me considering what I have seen in my necks. 

Good luck and I would be very surprised if Warmoth does not help you out in some fashion. 
:rock-on:

I'm in Glendale. All 5 of my other guitars are fine. My warmoth neck is perfectly fine as well.

They offered me 50% off of a new body, whether in the showcase or custom build, including 50% off of their finish. Unfortunately I am struggling with bills at the moment and I can't afford anything. I don't foresee myself being able to afford it anytime in the near future.

:tard:

You would think that with the amount of money they make they would be able to send you a replacement, considering the circumstances...

Of course, it MAY not have been the W's fault, and I suppose the warranty is up, but this seems a little unlike them..

Not unreasonable, though.

Good luck!

Altar said:
:tard:

You would think that with the amount of money they make they would be able to send you a replacement, considering the circumstances...

Of course, it MAY not have been the W's fault, and I suppose the warranty is up, but this seems a little unlike them..

Not unreasonable, though.

Good luck!

Yea... Found a body I love under 300$ too. So it'd be 150... i just can't afford it. I'm looking at having >60$ for the month of july and that includes gas and food. :( Gas alone is 150$/mo.

I'm sorry to hear about your financial woes.  It seems like a lot of folks have run across tough times.

That being said, Warmoth stepped up in a big way to offer you 50% off.  Imagine any other company in the world offering 50% off of a custom build to cover a product that is out of warantee.  I am relatively new to this game, but these guys continually impress me.

i work in manufacturing and some times things slip through the cracks. maybe a new employee that's didn't work out, maybe the wood didn't sit in the kiln long enough to fully shrink and the Arizona climate finnished it off. maybe  you were just unlucky. well anyway you get the point. there will always be a percentage that just isn't perfect. you may never see that percentage as a builder making maybe a couple hundred in a lifetime but warmoth may make several thousand in a year... if it was a problem with warmoth with the nature of people being more likely to take the time to write a bad review than a good one and the fact that i see maybe 1 bad experience on this forum a year i'd say warmoth is doing pretty good at keeping people happy.

regardless it sucks what happened to your body. you should probably try to get a credit card so you can finance a new one. to me credit cards are for emergencies but you shouldn't go without one. untill 3 moths ago i don't think i ever financed anything, i always bought what i needed but got tired of driving old cars so now i have a payment. still i just might call what happened to your body an emergency purchase just to justify buying something i can't afford.

I have my finances all figured out and budgeted. That is why I KNOW there is no way right now that I can get the body I want. I maybe have some side work coming up, but until that is guaranteed I will have to bite the bullet.

If $$ is really tight, I will do a simple finish for free for you.  I hate to see a player in distress.

Where are you DMRACO?

I think I'm pulling a Dr Frankenstein out of my ass... We'll see in the coming weeks. Suppose I'll be making a new post in the 'work in progress' section soon.

I love the warmoth comradery, if I could help out in Scotland I would too, even if it would just be a drink, chat and a sob... And then another drink chat and some guitar playing! Hope it all works out for you buddy

DMRACO said:
If $$ is really tight, I will do a simple finish for free for you.  I hate to see a player in distress.

That's really cool of you, man. I love seeing that there is still some good in this world.
MULLY

Back