Warmoth Failure. Why I will never order from Warmoth again.

Syntheticocean

I will rewrite this post in a less biased tone tonight. I apologize to warmoth for the negative way I expressed my situation.

holy shit, that is tragic. i just read your build-up thread in its entirety, and seeing the guitar split like that is awful. best of luck with warmoth - i know its out of warranty, but they should at least offer you something.

The nice blue one?!
I'll be quite surprised if Warmoth refuses to assist with the catastrophic failure of the seam.

I've only known one other body to develop a major problem like this and it got resolved far beyond the usual timeframe. That was TormentLeavesScars (or something similar) Star with the Arrow neck.

Ouch that's a real Bummer  :sad:
Hope Warmoth can help ya out here .....

Ya just made me look at all mine.

There Warranty is 2 years. But that is a defect  :eek:  right up the seam.

Hope things work out  :icon_thumright:

Man, I understand your frustration.  I'd give them a little time to respond to your email.  From experience, they'll want you to send it to them.  When the initial shock wears off, you might agree never ordering again and taking any replacement body in the same breath of a 3:30 am post might not be the best examples of rational behavior.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Man, I understand your frustration.  I'd give them a little time to respond to your email.  From experience, they'll want you to send it to them.  When the initial shock wears off, you might agree never ordering again and taking any replacement body in the same breath of a 3:30 am post might not be the best examples of rational behavior.

Yeah, I gotta go with STDC here, flying off the handle and screaming "I'll never order from them again" is a bit irrational considering you haven't even talked to them yet. On top of that, those are 2 pieces of wood glued together, there is no way to 100% guarantee that something like this couldn't happen. This could be one body out of 10,000 that this happens to and you were just the unlucky one. I know it sucks, I'd be bummed beyond words if I woke up to that, but getting emotional about it isn't going to help your cause any. Talk with them, see what they can do for you.
MULLY

Best to think of things like this as ultimately good somehow, like maybe an evil spirit was released from the cursed wood and is no longer in your home.  Or maybe you can tell people you rocked it so hard with a mammoth power chord that the earthly wood as unable to bear the sheer bad-assery of it all.  :headbang:
Or maybe the guitar knew that the perfectly balanced, magical tone-filled, soulmate piece of wood was still out there and it sacrificed itself so that you could keep your rendezvous with music destiny. 
Maybe that.

For starters I didn't fly off the handle and make a 330 am post. My time-zone settings are wrong. I'm in Arizona. I made the post at 12:30 am. I discovered the guitar at about 4:30pm however was not able to get around to sending out emails until late last night.

The reason I say I'll take any replacement is I understand that the body is out of warranty. I'd consider myself lucky to have them take an old dusty body off the showcase that no one wants and send that to me while saying 'take it or leave it.'

From my experience with companies they are not very forgiving with warranties when the aren't expired. This one is. Worst case scenario I'll be burning the body, and making a new one myself. My glue joints hold. Period.

Dude that sucks!
All the chatter on here seems to indicate the Warmoth Crew, will help you work it out.
Don't let this one (I am not trying to downplay this.) incident spoil you on them.

sixstringsamurai said:
Dude that sucks!
All the chatter on here seems to indicate the Warmoth Crew, will help you work it out.
Don't let this one (I am not trying to downplay this.) incident spoil you on them.

it isn't that I'm letting it spoil for me. I've been starting to build my own bodies. I've been afraid to build my own next, but I might just attempted now knowing that their quality could slip. I know for a fact how my body is our I know they will hold up.I just don't know what to think after this incident. I'm not sure how often it has happened. How many other people have to deal with this? Sorry for the post of a make sense. Voiced to text.

Well some of the guys here have been around probably since the board was started,
but from everything I had read on other forums about guys having issues with kit companies,
never once have I seen the Warmoth name in a negative light.
I am sure the will do right by you.

Syntheticocean said:
fretless said:
you sure the maid or the cat didn't kick it over and quietly put it back ..

Positive. If I had the money for a maid I wouldnt think twice about ordering a new body.

The cat is looking more and more guilty then, my first guess anyway .

Syntheticocean said:
Worst case scenario I'll be burning the body, and making a new one myself. My glue joints hold. Period.

Most glue joints hold. I know mine always do. Modern glues are incredible. Somebody will have to break that joint the rest of the way to be certain, but I'd wager the glue joint didn't break; the wood delaminated along the grain. It happens, especially on softer, straight-grained woods like Poplar. It usually takes some heavy stress to do it, but it's surprising how much stress a hunk of wood can exert while drying. If I had to guess, without any evidence of trauma, that's what happened here. The wood shrunk more than its own integrity could take, so it split.

I wouldn't be so pissed at Warmoth. It's been over two years, and it's just Poplar. Don't get me wrong; I'd still be pissed. Just not at Warmoth.

Wow I have never seen a body do that after such a long period of time. There are a few questions that we always ask when a customer applied finish is involved first what kind of specific finish did you use? Second how long have you had the body finished. Please contact us and we can see what we can do.

Thanks,

Sean

Cagey said:
Syntheticocean said:
Worst case scenario I'll be burning the body, and making a new one myself. My glue joints hold. Period.

Most glue joints hold. I know mine always do. Modern glues are incredible. Somebody will have to break that joint the rest of the way to be certain, but I'd wager the glue joint didn't break; the wood delaminated along the grain. It happens, especially on softer, straight-grained woods like Poplar. It usually takes some heavy stress to do it, but it's surprising how much stress a hunk of wood can exert while drying. If I had to guess, without any evidence of trauma, that's what happened here. The wood shrunk more than its own integrity could take, so it split.

I wouldn't be so pissed at Warmoth. It's been over two years, and it's just Poplar. Don't get me wrong; I'd still be pissed. Just not at Warmoth.

What gave you the idea that it was poplar?  Its mahogany.

Syntheticocean said:
For starters I didn't fly off the handle and make a 330 am post. My time-zone settings are wrong. I'm in Arizona. I made the post at 12:30 am. I discovered the guitar at about 4:30pm however was not able to get around to sending out emails until late last night.

The reason I say I'll take any replacement is I understand that the body is out of warranty. I'd consider myself lucky to have them take an old dusty body off the showcase that no one wants and send that to me while saying 'take it or leave it.'

From my experience with companies they are not very forgiving with warranties when the aren't expired. This one is. Worst case scenario I'll be burning the body, and making a new one myself. My glue joints hold. Period.

Sorry, but I have to push back and say you did fly off the handle based on the title of your message.

Office staff will be arriving in about 30 minutes.  I see you have sent an email to sales and that is a good first step.  Please give staff time to comb through the evenings emails and get back to you.  Let's play fair.

Syntheticocean said:
What gave you the idea that it was poplar?  Its mahogany.

I don't know. Must've been remembering another thread. Sorry about that. Same things apply, though.

Back