Warmoth CTV - The Velocity

drewfx said:
No the real hardship is there are 6 strings and a whole bunch of frets and they interact. Logically, one string and maybe one fret is the way to go. Easy and predictable!  :icon_biggrin:

I'm sure Apple will be releasing this instrument next year.  :laughing7:

No doubt. However, it'll fail spectacularly because they'll call it the iFiddle and people will get arrested for even saying the name.

Cagey said:
So... throw out the middle position or live with uncertainty? Why not just get rid of half the controls so you always know where you are? Makes more sense to me. I mean, you're always adjusting anyway. May as well be adjusting the same pot all the time, rather than looking for the right one.
I dunno. I mean, I know that in theory the fact that you sometimes have two active volumes should be confusing, but in practice it just isn't. I've got two Les Pauls, wired the normal way, and I never have any kind of problem. Even weirder, I'm pretty sure I've seen real-life rock stars using them, and they even sounded OK!

You can become accustomed to anything. Women let their husbands abuse them. Children let their parents abuse them. Entire populations let their governments abuse them. Doesn't mean you have to take it. It's a choice. However, I choose not to let my guitars abuse me. Old designs driven by marketing weenies who probably didn't even play the crap they foisted on the public are not for me. I enjoy the guitar, and I want it to be practical. Controls that unnecessarily complicate things are not practical.

I know many pros use such instruments. That's fine with me. If they're happy, I'm happy. I certainly enjoy what they do. But, I'm not going to do it and knowing what I know, I'd never recommend anybody follow in their footsteps. It's certainly possible to do well without all the gimcrackery. Look at EVH's Strat. Not only ugly and sparsely appointed, he was able to become a superstar with it.

I think a Strat is a prime example.  Many rewire the middle pickup's tone to be for the bridge pickup.  The result being the middle pickup being shared in the 2 or 4 position uses either tone knob of the pickup it's sharing.  Or...something totally revolutionary, getting rid of the 2nd tone knob altogether opting for a master tone.

But, just because you or I don't need 20 knobs and switches doesn't negate the fact the Robert Fripps, Steve Morses, and many others don't use them to great effect.

I actually think that the 4 controls on a Les Paul are one of its most awesome features - so much versatility. The middle position has about 230987 usable sounds to it. Comparing this to child abuse is somewhat melodramatic ;)

I'm fine with master volume/tone too. And I have a guitar with just a volume control, although I do sometimes find myself wishing there was a tone on it.

The one thing I think makes no sense is a Strat. Volume and two tones. One tone for the neck, one for the middle and none for the bridge. I guess when the S was invented there were no "in between" positions so you didn't have the "two master tones" thing you now have with the 5-way switch. But still - the pickup with the most treble doesn't have a way to reduce it, while the other two do?

I now wire all my Strats with a superswitch, allowing me to have a tone control connected in each position, but no position where two controls are active. I usually do it so that the first tone control controls the tones for neck, neck+mid and mid, and the second control does bridge+mid and bridge. It's not a bad system, because you have a dedicated control for sorting out the amount of treble from the bridge pickup, and then another tone control for the rest of it. It lets you "set it and forget it" rather than needing to adjust when you switch around.

Still don't think it makes much sense though. My favourite use of the three controls is on my EMG strat, where it's volume, mid boost and expander. Having three controls that actually do different things is quite nice.

Oh yeah and EVH was the master of keeping things simple - just a single volume control on his guitar! And, er, what's that? A variac? Er, never mind.

Jumble Jumble said:
The one thing I think makes no sense is a Strat. Volume and two tones. One tone for the neck, one for the middle and none for the bridge. I guess when the S was invented there were no "in between" positions so you didn't have the "two master tones" thing you now have with the 5-way switch. But still - the pickup with the most treble doesn't have a way to reduce it, while the other two do?
My middle tone knob controls the neck, and the bottom one does the mid&bridge together.  This is accomplished with a normal 5-way switch.

i don't think fender had high gain solos with the bridge pup in mind. they used to call that the treble pickup and i guess the idea wa that if you wanted a fatter tone you used the fatter pickups. if oyu wanted treble you had th ebridge pup with no treble leaking to ground through a cap at all.

AutoBat said:
Jumble Jumble said:
My middle tone knob controls the neck, and the bottom one does the mid&bridge together.  This is accomplished with a normal 5-way switch.
Sure, but that means that in the neck + mid position you have both tone controls active at the same time. That's what I don't want, because it means that even with both tones on 10, you've only got 125K resistance in series with the tone cap (assuming 250K pots).

Jumble Jumble said:
AutoBat said:
Jumble Jumble said:
Sure, but that means that in the neck + mid position you have both tone controls active at the same time. That's what I don't want, because it means that even with both tones on 10, you've only got 125K resistance in series with the tone cap (assuming 250K pots).
but the circuit is also half the inductance because the pickups are parallel as well. not that you don't get this on any other guitar with 2 tones in the mixed positions. just not all of them use only 1 capacitor. infact i believe with just 1 capacitor it cuts treble less than two seperate tone circuits in parallel, but i'm having trouble thinking about that right now.

SustainerPlayer said:
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Type=9&Path=CTV

Anyone jumped one of these?

Maybe it's just me, but I think one of these, top-routed, with a pickguard would look killer. I'm getting more and more tempted to take the plunge and see if the guys at W would do that.

Pair it with this headstock:

004.JPG

And you have a serious RAWK machine there.  :guitarplayer2:

BTW: that headstock needs to be made into a standard option.

Just pulled the trigger on a CTV flat top.  Mahogany body, flame maple top, natural binding, clear gloss finish back, turquoise dye top, Hum - Hum, 5-way strat position w/ Vol and Tone, recessed tonepros tune-o-matic with staggered string through, tummy cut, contour heel, and arm bevel.  Neck with be a reverse warhead goncalo alves 59 roundback with pao ferro fingerboard with a matching flame maple veneer, 6150 fretwire, white tusq earvana, and Mother of Pearl dots.

I can't wait to put this together! :)

Sounds like that's gonna be a helluva guitar!

Got any plans for the pickups yet?

aeroic said:
Just pulled the trigger on a CTV flat top.  Mahogany body, flame maple top, natural binding, clear gloss finish back, turquoise dye top, Hum - Hum, 5-way strat position w/ Vol and Tone, recessed tonepros tune-o-matic with staggered string through, tummy cut, contour heel, and arm bevel.  Neck with be a reverse warhead goncalo alves 59 roundback with pao ferro fingerboard with a matching flame maple veneer, 6150 fretwire, white tusq earvana, and Mother of Pearl dots.

I can't wait to put this together! :)

forum first...be sure to post plenty of photos.  Congrats!

I'm going to put the RS Guitar Works / Fralin True 60's humbuckers with the stew mac mega-switch P. :)

I've got leftover butterscotch blonde in rattlecan form; I'm tempted to order this CTV Body:

ctv83A.jpg

...and put this finish on it:

index.php

jackthehack said:
I've got leftover butterscotch blonde in rattlecan form; I'm tempted to order this CTV Body:

ctv83A.jpg

...and put this finish on it:

index.php

that would be awesome. that grain pattern is great and somehow seems to compliment the body shape pretty well. buy it before someone else does.

Back