warmoth and the future

Orpheo

I believe I've read something about the desire of having more options in the future, and simultaniously growth, regarding customers.

Perhaps my question is considered to be very unpolite, I ask forgiveness for that ;) but here it is anyway:

1: is 'warmoth corp.' not afraid that due to more and more customers, the woodquality and other tollerances will be less exact than they are today?

2: if so, what are the plans to fight that?

3: is the ultimate goal to have the quality that is given nowadays (or perhaps even higher quality),  but with the name of the likes of Pensasuhr, suhr, mcnaught, anderson, etc etc, with the corresponding endorsees?

It just popped in my mind, because I like to order stuff even lets say, 5 to 15 years from now, but with the same options and quality that is offered today. Might be cool though, to say "I HAVE A VINTAGE!!!! warmoth!" haha

To answer those questions you can examine Warmoth History.

* A continous and significant growth each year.
* More options available today than ever before.
* Accuracy and quality at an all time high.
* Wood stock second to none.

Warmoth has been growing and getting better and better for decades, so we're no strangers to evolution. I do think the most exciting times we've seen are coming in the next 12 to 24 months though. I'm sure our methodic approach will continue keep any growing pains down to a dull roar.

I'm sure when W gets their CNC equipment up to full time capacity - they will either add a shift, or add a machine.  The high precision is done by machine, and done very well on a production basis. 

The real "problem" for W , as I see it, is not the production of bodies and to a certain degree necks either.  Thats something a moderately skilled operator can do, make the machine run, set up the jigs correctly, keep it clean, check tooling... the machine does the precision work.

Rather, the highly skilled work, which is finishing, presents the greatest obstacle for any company.  How to do more of it, make it consistent, and make it top notch, and make it affordable.  People who can do fretwork, people who can sand... people who can spray and fill and do binding and mask bodies... thats skilled labor, and you can only do so many per man-hour.  To increase production there, you can work folks harder and longer, but quality will suffer, and I'm sure W knows that.  Or you bring on people, take the good ones and have them train and apprentice under the old timers. 

Knowing nothing about W in particular, but knowing about, and having been in and run a precision millshop shift, thats my take on it all.  And you think W has it bad... ha... I had prison labor on work release, for the night shift!  Paydays were fun.

I'll just add that the Strat neck I received 2 weeks ago has fretwork on it as good as I've ever seen. I don't mean just Warmoth, I mean as good as any guitar I've ever played. Whoever did the work is an artist.

RLW said:
I'll just add that the Strat neck I received 2 weeks ago has fretwork on it as good as I've ever seen. I don't mean just Warmoth, I mean as good as any guitar I've ever played. Whoever did the work is an artist.

I had the same experience, and I wonder how this quality can be maintained if a lot more people want to have warmoth.

Its not a rant of mine against warmoth, if some people might think that. Its just that I LIKE it so much that I thought, how can they maintain this quality if they will grow. but perhaps its indeed a lot of computer-stuff with the CNC.

@gregg: you already told us that there will be changes! its like having a bone in front of the dog's nose! can't you give us juuuuuust a little bit of info? is it new options in finish, woods, binding, colors, hardware, routing, new shapes, new neckshapes, new headstockshapes?

the only fear i have is that warmoth may lose the ability to do hand work. the options available are awesome but i wouldn't want them to lose the buisiness that requires real craftsmanship. and i dont want to see finnish quality slip. i know they are keeping busy now and don't have alot of time for that type of work. i am glad to see though that production time on orders isn't slowing down and customer service is still as good as it gets.

Orpheo said:
@gregg: you already told us that there will be changes! its like having a bone in front of the dog's nose! can't you give us juuuuuust a little bit of info? is it new options in finish, woods, binding, colors, hardware, routing, new shapes, new neckshapes, new headstockshapes?

maybe they will go the schecter route and start selling finished guitars.. I hope not, since that would mean less custom options..
Or the Carvin way, like a mail order custom shop..
I personally hope it means more body shapes.. I am betting on a carved top Tele and a ES 335 type body. or maybe neck-thru necks and body wings! :):)

I agree with CB also, perfect. W's success is and will be their abillity to ballance production numbers and quality, theres a sweetspot there, and W is riding it as we speak. I hope they stay there too

I thought about how to answer this question for some time.  The only way to answer is to tell you a little bit about the people behind the big W.

We work there because we want to.  It isn't a place where most employees come to kill time during the day and pick up a paycheck.  It is a passion and we eat, sleep, and dream music.  I can honestly say I left a sucessful career as a corporate database developer and came to Warmoth, not because I had to, but because I wanted to.  My only regret is that I waited so long before sending in my resume.  There are others in the company with similar stories of changing careers.  It is a blessing to work with so many like minded and talented individuals.

Quality is as important as meeting the customers needs. That doesn't mean there won't be a hiccup here or there.  That is inevitable as we're all human. We aim to ensure they're few and far between.  Warmoth is here for the long run!

RLW: pretend this is a great big juicy steak! Not gonna say... wouldn't be prudent.....

With the recent disapearance of all the BC Rich styles and Music Man VW style it makes me wonder, not about the quality in the future, but  will other companys get wise and will the Strat style be the only option left available one day.  Or.... what happens if Fender decides to revoke their licence.  It's a tough economy and I'm sure company's know that Warmoth is eating away at their profit margins.

erik

It's a tough economy and I'm sure company's know that Warmoth is eating away at their profit margins.

Shh! Shh! Shh! No they're not! No they're not! No, they're NOT! :blob7:

Why, the only reason I buy Warmoths instead of Fenders is because I can get exactly what I want, at a better quality and a better price too. WE STILL LOVE FENDER, YAAH!

(whew - close call...)

Back