Walnut (or non-maple wood) neck and maple fret board

Rick

Epic Member
Appologies if this has been asked before ...

But I was wondering why Warmoth doesn't offer a maple fret board with say a walnut neck?  Is it a wood problem, or just a lack of demand?
Thanks

PS  It's OK if you tell me I don't know how to read the website.  I can take it.

Expansion and contraction due to temperature and humidity. Maple only likes maple in that regard. There MAY be other wood combos that are verboten, but maple seems to be the main one.

See? We can be nice when we want to.

:icon_biggrin:

I asked because I saw that walnut body in another post, and thought about a walnut neck and wanted to have an american wood for the fret board that would look cool.  And I saw that the rosewood and maple were interchangeable .....

Anyhow, besides maple are any of the other fret board woods american?

Thanks

Assuming you mean North american, I think walnut is the only dark north american wood...

American, as in born in the USA! 

The fret boards, outside of maple, all seems to be foreign.

Thing is that you can have a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard.  But I guess the compatiablity issue has to do with the thickness of the fretboard?

Well, wherever the people come from is alright by me.  I'm thinking about wood grown in the United States of America.  Maple, Koa and Walnut seem to be the only US neck woods ... Anyone know differently?

Mahogany's grown in the United States? OK, could that be puerto rico or hawaii?  Fair enough.  You guys are pretty smart.

How about fretboard woods besides maple, any from the US?

I'm pretty sure it grows in Florida but I'm not positive.  Anyway, I don't know where Warmoth gets their mahogany.

Another North American wood you can use as a finger board is Cherry. I don't think Warmoth offers it but some builders have used it. I'm planing on using some in a couple of future builds.

My all-rosewood neck is an almost perfect match to my walnut body, after staining. HIGHLY recommended if that's the look and sound you want.

You could PROBABLY use pearwood.  I think it's used in violins.  I've seen some of that wood and it looks real smooth.  There was a pear tree in my parents' backyard which had some nice wood.  (The rest of the trees back there were boxelders... nasty, pithy, weed trees that grow 20' in 2 years and then fall over.)  I have no idea where you'd get a neck-sized chunk of pearwood though... besides my parents' backyard.    :toothy11:

Back