Walnut J'master

willyk

This is a bit more normal than my Korina monster. It's right handed for a start. I built it for a good friend of mine. Pickups are 'Duncan StagMags. They sound really nice when split as well as in humbucker mode. The individual mini switches give him heaps of combinations to play with. The neck has a 12" radius kingwood board and 6130 frets. I finished the body with Danish oil rubbed on with 400 paper.

Attachments

• jm0001_1.JPG
    jm0001_1.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,475
  • jm0005_1.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 849
Damn Dude, do you even get a paycheck?????????  you must have like a direct deposit / automatic deduction thing with Warmoth!!!

Love the Jazzmaster, way Cool, ......... :laughing8: :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:

just wondering, is walnut as good of a tonewood as it looks? what kinds of tones do you get out of it? I was considering my first warmoth project to be built out of black korina, walnut, or any wood with a righ grain pattern (I would want to keep it natural with a clearcoat finish) what do you think?

I built a walnut Strat with a maple neck:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=234.0

It's a bit brighter than a regular alder body; sustain isn't really "more", but "different"

willyk said:
I guess I'm an addict. But I only keep the lefties.

Ned Flanders is a lefty too.    When you picked up your first guitar the wrong way, someone shoulda been there to set you straight :laughing7:

Too late now

aren't left handed people shifty? like that dam da Vinci guy always painting and writing backwords and inventing shit, thinks he's hot stuff because a painted a smiling girl. let me ask you somthing, did he ever play at woodstock? no. did he ever pitch a no hitter? no. did he play guitar with his teeth? no.  :toothy12:

wow, that was weird

I was never fond of the Jazzmaster guitar shape...till just now. It is absolutely beautiful. I think Fender always made them cheap looking, where yours looks warm and rich. I will definately consider one of those in the future.
I'm left handed, but way back in high school, in guitar class, first day, all 40 other kids were holding their guitars right handed so I followed suit...in hindsight, I'm sure glad I did.

I think the vintage strat bridge is a master stroke. I honestly believe that jags would be a lot more popular had Leo just stuck to the vintage bridge. I'd advise anyone else thinking of doing this project to steer clear of the jag/mustang bridges they suck donkey balls.

Two questions - how did you finish that and how much does it weigh?
I'm thinking about a walnut jazzmaster with rosewood/rosewood neck, with Fralin P90s and a Bigsby, but am worried about it being too heavy.

Micahbell said:
Two questions - how did you finish that and how much does it weigh?
I'm thinking about a walnut jazzmaster with rosewood/rosewood neck, with Fralin P90s and a Bigsby, but am worried about it being too heavy.

I finished it with Danish oil and carnauba wax. I rubbed the oil in with 400wet/dry wrapped around a cork sanding block. When the oil dried (a week after the last coat) I lightly rubbed back with 0000 steel wool then waxed it.
Weight? from memory, it now lives in Canada, heavyish..a bit over 8lbs.

Back