Walnut and clear gloss question

Caleidoscope

I'm looking for options to get dark woods like wenge or indian rosewood. I love the grain pattern of walnut but it's a bit too clear for what I'm looking for. Then I noticed in the showroom that every walnut top that has clear gloss is darker for some reason. Is this a sure thing or were these bodys just "lucky"? Because if I'm certain that the body would go dark like that with a clear gloss I've found what I'm looking for!!

pt1804c.jpg

Clear gloss

t1888a.jpg

Unfinished

Walnut darkens a lot once a finish is applied. Look at the unfinished neck pocket of the top guitar.

dunno if this helps, but this is my scratch build p-bass body walnut with a maple stripe, I also used teak oil before putting on wipe-on polyurethane

4333181802_d38b96c5e5.jpg

4333182154_5091c3624f.jpg

Some pieces of walnut are definitely darker than others, but they definitely all darken when finished. I finished my tele in linseed oil and it came out that perfect chocolately brown that i was going for. I'm not sure how it goes for clear gloss - I've definitely seen a few that were much lighter and more like.. like milk chocolate? or mud. not to my liking unfortunately.
Maybe you can ask Warmoth for a dark cut of walnut?

Back