Wal Bass Shape

Soloshchenko

Senior member
Messages
430
Given the current popularity of Wal Basses and given the company no longer makes these fine instruments, I think Warmoth are missing a trick by not offering this shape. These are awesome, but they go for 2 grand.

Picture009.jpg


Just looking on the site, the shape actually bears a resemblence to deluxe 5 body shape, would Warmoth rout a deluxe 5 for a 4 string neck?
 

Wyliee

Senior member
Messages
1,931
It is my understanding one of the techs that used to work for Pete (Wal) is working on bringing the Wal brand back.  There's been an ongoing discussion regarding this on TalkBass.

I do agree the Mach II and III shapes are pretty cool.
 

Soloshchenko

Senior member
Messages
430
Wyliee said:
It is my understanding one of the techs that used to work for Pete (Wal) is working on bringing the Wal brand back.  There's been an ongoing discussion regarding this on TalkBass.

I do agree the Mach II and III shapes are pretty cool.

True, but if Warmoth did one I could actually afford it!!! :icon_smile:

 

line6man

Senior member
Messages
6,443
Soloshchenko said:
These are awesome, but they go for 2 grand.
Soloshchenko said:
True, but if Warmoth did one I could actually afford it!!! :icon_smile:

:icon_scratch: A Warmoth will probably run you around $1500ish. Is it really that big of a deal to save up your money for a little while until you have $500?
 

Wyliee

Senior member
Messages
1,931
To be honest, there are a few *significant* difference between a real Wal and a Warmoth.

#1. The Wal neck contour is very unique, almost triangular in shape. (Most pronounced on the 4 strings.)
#2. No Wal electronics.  Their bandpass EQ system is very powerful and unique.  About the closest you could get would be an East UK or ACG guitars preamp (also be East).
#3. I'm not sure what the finish is, but the basses I've tried did not seem to have much, if any, grain filler and had a natural, raw feel to the body.

With that said, it is a *killer* shape.
 

Soloshchenko

Senior member
Messages
430
Wyliee said:
To be honest, there are a few *significant* difference between a real Wal and a Warmoth.

#1. The Wal neck contour is very unique, almost triangular in shape. (Most pronounced on the 4 strings.)
#2. No Wal electronics.  Their bandpass EQ system is very powerful and unique.  About the closest you could get would be an East UK or ACG guitars preamp (also be East).
#3. I'm not sure what the finish is, but the basses I've tried did not seem to have much, if any, grain filler and had a natural, raw feel to the body.

With that said, it is a *killer* shape.

Cheers for the info, I've never played one.
Aren't all these things possible to get around to a certain extent? I'm looking to build a carbon copy, just something inspired by. I know I'd have to get an ACG preamp, the finish doesn't seem a problem.

Line6man, sorry, my post is misleading, I'm from the UK. 2 grand would be in pounds and that would be an absolutely dirt cheap(i've seen em go on Ebay for £7000) plus that's onlyif you can actually find one. They are rare. A Warmoth Wal project would be far cheaper and realistic than buying the real thing.

 

line6man

Senior member
Messages
6,443
Soloshchenko said:
Line6man, sorry, my post is misleading, I'm from the UK. 2 grand would be in pounds and that would be an absolutely dirt cheap(i've seen em go on Ebay for £7000) plus that's onlyif you can actually find one. They are rare. A Warmoth Wal project would be far cheaper and realistic than buying the real thing.

Ahh... :doh:
Wow, that's quite a difference.

 

kidgloves2

Active member
Messages
44
I would LOVE to see Warmoth offer Wal bodies and also necks with headstocks. Since Warmoth has a deal to offer licensed Fender parts, could they get a deal to offer licensed Wal parts? INCLUDING ELECTRONICS! Would Pete go for it? hmm...........

That would be sick!

Has Pete's tech actually gone into business yet? if so, anyone have a link?

Here is a quote from the Wal Myspace page:

"Stevens (pete) is currently updating his old manchinery to current safety standards, and he is also looking for a skilled luthier to help in the construction process, so initail production is still in the future. Hopefully the company will be back up an running soon."

Well, Instead of a luthier, how about a company.....Warmoth!!




 

line6man

Senior member
Messages
6,443
Unrelated, but i started listening to Percy Jones (with Brand X) and his tone is absolutely amazing!
Am I hearing the typical "Wal sound", or is he the type of player that makes any bass sound that way based on the way he plays?

 

Volitions Advocate

Senior member
Messages
1,239
This is the only Wal Bass that I know of that I've ever listened to a great deal.  But who knows how much of that is bass and how much is gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7N9cF9gVNI
 

line6man

Senior member
Messages
6,443
Volitions Advocate said:
This is the only Wal Bass that I know of that I've ever listened to a great deal.  But who knows how much of that is bass and how much is gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7N9cF9gVNI

Entirely different sound, but yeah, that tone is definitely "gear" and not "bass".

Here are a few Percy Jones clips, in which i assume he is playing a Wal?:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKbTZJNOMfg[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrN4_Eg2Zx4[/youtube]
 

the_hook

New member
Messages
1
Funny that I should find this thread.  Been thinking about a Wal body clone, was hoping Warmoth sells something like it.  Don't expect to find the same Wal tone or electronics, just like the overall shape of it.
 

Dan025

Senior member
Messages
1,681
i think a gecko or g4/5 with a lam top and pinstripe binding would be close enough for most people. actually i prefer the look of the gecko to that and the rest is electronics, i don't see a real problem but some people just gotta have what the pros have or as close as they can afford anyway.
 

line6man

Senior member
Messages
6,443
Dan025 said:
i think a gecko or g4/5 with a lam top and pinstripe binding would be close enough for most people.

Um, you think that a Gecko body looks like a Wal? :tard:

 

line6man

Senior member
Messages
6,443
Dan025 said:
no i think it looks better than a wal

Whether you like the Gecko better or not is personal opinion with no relevance to the OP's suggestion for Warmoth to offer a Wal bass shape.
 

Dan025

Senior member
Messages
1,681
line6man said:
Dan025 said:
no i think it looks better than a wal

Whether you like the Gecko better or not is personal opinion with no relevance to the OP's suggestion for Warmoth to offer a Wal bass shape.

well that is true. i guess i am easier to please than some. i never looked at warmoths selection and thought "if only they had this shape." but there are some options route wise i wish they had but that is nothing i cant take care of on my own.
 
Top