W jazzmaster pickguard - no bridge holes?

koldmund

Hi,

I am in the midst of a JM project, recieved a few parts from W, and was quite surprised by the pickguard. Most of you know this off course, but the pickguard is unlike the original Fender, as it does not have bridge holes. Didnt notice it while ordering. Anyone know the reason for this? How does the W JM body differ from Fender?
My project includes a W JM body, but I would like to retain the original look in regards to the pickguard.

And, by the way, thanks for great picks and advice on this forum!

Warmoth bodies and pickguards are made to take as many diffrent bridges as posisble. The original JM pickguard design works fine if you're using the original Jm style bridge or a tune-o-matic style bridge but it's no use if you use, for example, a Stratocaster bridge or most non-Tune-o fixed bridges. The Warmoth JM pickguard has the bridge area cut completely clear away so that almost any bridge can be used with it.

Ace Flibble said:
The original JM pickguard design works fine if you're using the original Jm style bridge or a tune-o-matic style bridge...

This isn't quite true. It'll work for an original JM bridge on a Warmoth body, but Warmoth's bridge pickup location is different from Fender's, so unless you are ditching the W body, you are stuck with a W guard.

If you have the tools, you can order a pickguard blank and route it to your hearts content.

rockskate4x said:
Ace Flibble said:
The original JM pickguard design works fine if you're using the original Jm style bridge or a tune-o-matic style bridge...

This isn't quite true. It'll work for an original JM bridge on a Warmoth body, but Warmoth's bridge pickup location is different from Fender's, so unless you are ditching the W body, you are stuck with a W guard.

This.  Non-Warmoth Jazzmaster pickguards don't work on a Warmoth body unless you do some additional routing to the body.  I found this out the hard way...

Thanks so much folks.
I've compared the W pickguard to a bunch of old JM ones, and just as you explained, the pickup placement differs. Also tiny differences in width here and there, screwhole placement, etc.
I got a three-ply blank locally, and will trace after an original, but move the PU placement to W standards. Hopefully that will do the trick. If I fail, I'm just gonna put on the W pickguard, and get playing already, as that is the priority with this particular build.
Thanks againg for your time and insight.

Will post pics of guitar when done (xtra-light alder body, black nitro finish, matching headstock, Fralin +10 JM pickups, mastery bridge, old neck)

Robert, Copenhagen DK

rockskate4x said:
Ace Flibble said:

I meant original Fender Jazzmasters, the original design of the guitar. I don't know why anyone would bother trying to combine a Fender guard with a Warmoth body or a Warmth guard with a Fender body.

Ace Flibble said:
rockskate4x said:
Ace Flibble said:

I meant original Fender Jazzmasters, the original design of the guitar. I don't know why anyone would bother trying to combine a Fender guard with a Warmoth body or a Warmth guard with a Fender body.
Perhaps to have the quality of warmoth but the look of fender? :dontknow:

Back