VW Carved Top :: "Thoene Black Special Custom"

shagga

So i can finally put my baby up here in the gallery!

Body:
"VW Carved Top" style with hollow option and heel access
Black Korina with flamed maple top, top is dyed black with natural lipover binding, then finished completely transparent.

Neck:
Warmoth Pro construction with custom Wolfgang contour
Wenge with Pao Ferro fretboard, waxed & oiled, headstock laquered clear gloss

Earvana saddle, works like a charm, very much recommended!

Pickups:
Bareknuckle Pickups Nailbomb in the bridge, and a Harmonic Design Z-90 in the neck position.
flamed maple humbucker mounting rings (laquered clear gloss)

The Nailbomb is switchable with a mini-switch: "serial - singlecoil (neck coil) - parallel"

Layout:
Two volume and two tone pots
The tone pot for the Z-90 is switchable (push-push) to be a mid-cut instead of a high-cut, effectively making the Z-90 sounding much more like a strat singlecoil!
(passive operation by adding another coil to the signal path)

Well, it looks and sounds great!
Very well defined, warm woody sound from both pickups, with a slightly higher midrange than your standard mahogany LP.
The Z-90 is a very powerful beast, amazingly loud and clear tones emerge from this pup!
The Nailbomb is also very powerful, and much more musical sounding (especially in the parallel mode) than i thought it would!

perfect for everything rock / fusion / blues!

i love it, hope you guys like it too!  :eek:ccasion14:

and here's a few pics for the start ( more plus soundclips to follow soon )

out of the box:

Attachments

• Thoene-Black_Special_Custom_00.jpg
    Thoene-Black_Special_Custom_00.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1,498
out of the box with hardware attached

Attachments

• Thoene-Black_Special_Custom_00b.jpg
    Thoene-Black_Special_Custom_00b.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,040
closeup pups and knobs layout

Attachments

• Thoene-Black_Special_Custom_02.jpg
    Thoene-Black_Special_Custom_02.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 781
I like the way the body has a dark top and light back, but the neck has the reverse.
Looks very cool in the side view.

Looks tight, no offense, but the upsidedown CBS headstock and the EB/VW body really doesn't go together well.... :dontknow:

I disagree - I think the headstock looks sweet on that. I like it better than any VW I've seen. I like it much better than the original small headstock for those.

Also - another no inlay neck. I love it. That's how mine's going to be :)

GoDrex said:
I disagree - I think the headstock looks sweet on that. I like it better than any VW I've seen. I like it much better than the original small headstock for those.

Also - another no inlay neck. I love it. That's how mine's going to be :)
Obviously you've never owned a real EVH signature, the neck is sweet I'll give it that. But it doesn't fit with that body....I actually think the Warmoth headstock looks the best.....

I agree with GoDrex, that headstock looks great... it's like the body in miniature.  Beautiful axe, man.  :icon_thumright:

damn, nice geetar! too bad warmoth had to stop making the VW's :(

i agree that the reverse CBS headstock looks killer. very original--something i would've never thought of, by am surprised at how well it matches the rest of the guitar. job well done.

Why did Warmoth stop making the VW?  Did they get sued?  Weren't selling any?  :dontknow:

TexxasJam said:
Why did Warmoth stop making the VW?  Did they get sued?  Weren't selling any?  :dontknow:
From what I was told buy Warmoths web guy, is that they were asked by EB's lawyers to remove them from thier site. Including any customer build in the gallery..... :sad:

DangerousR6 said:
TexxasJam said:
Why did Warmoth stop making the VW?  Did they get sued?  Weren't selling any?   :dontknow:
From what I was told buy Warmoths web guy, is that they were asked by EB's lawyers to remove them from thier site. Including any customer build in the gallery..... :sad:

woot!? i did not hear about that until today!  :icon_scratch:
that sucks...
well, good that i got mine already then...  :cool01:

thanks for your comments guys, i really love this guitar!
in the meanwhile, i exchanged the neck Z-90 for another bareknuckle humbucker.
it did not really match the nailbomb sound-wise, as it was way too high in output..
got me a custom wound BKP "Stormy Monday" this time, it matches the nailbomb perfectly now,
and still gives me a very warm, fat PAF-type sound.. (think slash meets gary moore)

awesomeness!  :headbang:

shagga said:
in the meanwhile, i exchanged the neck Z-90 for another bareknuckle humbucker.
it did not really match the nailbomb sound-wise, as it was way too high in output..
got me a custom wound BKP "Stormy Monday" this time, it matches the nailbomb perfectly now,
and still gives me a very warm, fat PAF-type sound.. (think slash meets gary moore)

awesomeness!  :headbang:

Clips will be needed!  :icon_thumright:

no one ever does clips - all the guitars people on this board make, hang on their walls as decorations hahahah ;)

I claim major computer ignorance, they just make them to user friendly nowadays.  You can use one without knowing anything about them, kind of like women.  How does one go about recording and loading clips?

Back