Vox VT30

Death by Uberschall

Master Member
I needed a small bedroom practice amp. I actually went into GC with one of my guitars and tried them all out Saturday. It was really close, went in with the idea of getting the Fender Super Champ XD, and I almost got the Blackstar HT5 full stack which I really liked instead, but I wanted something more versatile for practice and what not. So after trying them all, the Vox VT30 won and I took it home. The HT5 was hard to walk away from, but I wanted more versatility in a bedroom practice amp, not just one or two good tones. The VT30 had some really great sounds going on, and with the on board effects and the foot switch that's available, it was the clear winner. In a pinch, I would even take the VT30 to a small gig.

Just thought I would give a head's up for anybody looking.  :icon_thumright:

My buddy has one, I've tried it and I like it.  Its really versatile in its range of sounds.  Perfect for a bedroom amp.  Of course it is what it is though, and as long as its used within those parameters it does its job nicely.

That is a great amp for its price range, I had the older 15 watt version for a while and may be tempted to get this amp in the future too, if my dream amp doesn't get bought this year.

Well I returned it to GC last week. Not that I didn't like it, For the price I don't think it could be beat. But I got the Blackstar HT-5 full stack shortly after and the Vox just wasn't getting used.

I've kind of been eying the HT-5 as well. How do you like it so far?  Is it capable of a good tone at fairly low volumes by chance?

jimbo said:
I've kind of been eying the HT-5 as well. How do you like it so far?  Is it capable of a good tone at fairly low volumes by chance?

Tones from American Metal to European Crunch.  :icon_thumright:

Believe the hype.  :headbang1:

i have the ht-5 combo. a few bad notes:

emulated out kinda sucks. but it by-passes the output tube, so it sounds pretty thin (then again i didn't spend hours eq'ing it).

also, i wish it was loud enough to get over a drummer (read: MY drummer). if it was 10-15 watts it would juuuuuuust be loud enough. i thought it would cut it at 5, but it just doesnt have enough juice. so now i run it thru the PA, which sucks alot of the niceness out of it.

HOWEVER

tone-wise, exactly as DBU says. sick tones. actually i find i hover on the clean channel alot as well. even though iim a gainy type of guy. lovely natural clean channel. def an amp worth checking. if it was 10 or 15 watts, it would be my ultimate carry-around practice amp. i've thought about running a boost through the fx loop to give it a volume crank, but im not sure how safe (or smart) this would be  :dontknow:

I don't use the emulation/headphones out. Volume wise, you'll be limited to the 5 watts output regardless, no matter how hard you hit the loop before the output section.

Mic it instead of using a line out.

It is loud for 5 watts, as most "tube" watts are, but it's not a gig amp. It's really suited for practicing or recording. If current trends keep going though, somebody will offer a dual output tube conversion for it to get it up or over 10 watts, the same as with the BlackHeart and Epiphone amps.

Here's a pretty good video of the HT-5 cranked.

This guy kinda goes through several settings, clean, crunch and the brutalzzzzz,................  :laughing7:

Watch the entire video, as he makes adjustments thoughout.
[youtube=425,350]XA_6kMMHGqI[/youtube]

The HT-5 is growing on me more and more. I'm just a bit worried it might be a bit much for my current apartment. I really want to get a tube amp though, so might go for it anyhow. Lately I've been looking at the Blackstar HT-5, Vox Night-train, Mesa Express line, and the Egnater Rebel 30. GAS is dangerous. haha.

no clue on the night train. I was thinking about it, but after playing with the Blackstar HT-5 in guitar center, I could guarantee that a night train would be a bit much for my place... short of really annoying the neighbors.

The Blackstar HT-5 though... amazing. Sounds perfect. I'd seen people call it a mini-mesa, and the name really fits. Got a great deal on it too at GC. Full stack (2x 1x10 cabs + head) for $599. Which is the price GC lists for the head and a single 1x10, pretty stoked!

I don't know if anyone would know this, but I'm thinking about getting a Valvetronix in one shape or form, whether it be the Tonelab or one of the Combos. My question is, if I were to plug directly into the PA by the output on the back, is there a volume difference between the 15, 30, or 50 watt versions? Its all digital so I'm not sure if its the actual speaker that makes the wattage difference or the circuit in some way (prob not the tubes since they all use a single 12AX7). And do you guys think that the 15 watt version has enough clean headroom to get over a drummer?

Rouse said:
I don't know if anyone would know this, but I'm thinking about getting a Valvetronix in one shape or form, whether it be the Tonelab or one of the Combos. My question is, if I were to plug directly into the PA by the output on the back, is there a volume difference between the 15, 30, or 50 watt versions? Its all digital so I'm not sure if its the actual speaker that makes the wattage difference or the circuit in some way (prob not the tubes since they all use a single 12AX7). And do you guys think that the 15 watt version has enough clean headroom to get over a drummer?

I'm fairly certain that they would all be exactly the same into the PA from the line out.  BTW - you want to drive the PA from the line out - not the speaker output.

Regarding wattage, for a solid state combo I'd get at least 30 watts.  Even a 15 watt tube amp will run into clipping before it can be heard over that snare drum.  A 15 watt SS modeling amp will just be lost.  Besides - doesn't the 15 only come with something like an 8" speaker?

I don't think the 15 (maybe the 30 either) has a line out, could be wrong. Also, the 15 only has an 8" speaker. Get at least the 30w, then you can take it to a band practice. Also, think the 15w doesn't have the variable wattage, another reason to get at least the 30.

Back