VOTE HERE: 2018 Guitar of the Year!

Which instrument should be the 2018 Guitar of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Robert, you could not deserve the win more.  You had my support the instant the voting opened.

Here's how I see it - the GOM and GOY awards are, in the very best sense, participation trophies.  And by that I mean this:  Dozens of tremendous guitars are entered every month in the competitions, and many of them are axes I would be proud to own and play.  The ones that typically get the edge with me are the ones supported by a human being with a story.  Cagey's green L5S is one.  All of Dmraco's crazy builds are also in this category.  Logrinn's and ghotiphry's and Frank DeSalvo's and Fat Pete's builds come through, as do many others.  Sure, there are axes I think are objectively prettier sometimes that are posted by newbies or here-today-gone-tomorrow forumites, and sometimes they get my vote.  But the members of this board who are consistently supportive of each other's efforts, and who bring a positive, sharing vibe to the entire undertaking are most likely to get the love come voting time.

And so, Robert, I salute your wonderful axe, and the creative spirit it embodies.  But equally important, I salute the generosity of spirit that animates your every post on this board.  On an internet filled with cranks and nutjobs and just plain mean folk, your kindness and willingness to explore this wonderful world of guitar building with an open heart is an example to us all.

Guitar of the year, indeed.

Thank you for that, Ian. I've learned a hell of a lot from so many here and it makes me proud to be part of this forum and all the great people in it.

It is just such a thoughtfullly designed guitar, the shape, the ebonized bobbins ... All the details thought out and executed nicely.

Bagman67 said:
Robert, you could not deserve the win more.  You had my support the instant the voting opened.

Here's how I see it - the GOM and GOY awards are, in the very best sense, participation trophies.  And by that I mean this:  Dozens of tremendous guitars are entered every month in the competitions, and many of them are axes I would be proud to own and play.  The ones that typically get the edge with me are the ones supported by a human being with a story.  Cagey's green L5S is one.  All of Dmraco's crazy builds are also in this category.  Logrinn's and ghotiphry's and Frank DeSalvo's and Fat Pete's builds come through, as do many others.  Sure, there are axes I think are objectively prettier sometimes that are posted by newbies or here-today-gone-tomorrow forumites, and sometimes they get my vote.  But the members of this board who are consistently supportive of each other's efforts, and who bring a positive, sharing vibe to the entire undertaking are most likely to get the love come voting time.

And so, Robert, I salute your wonderful axe, and the creative spirit it embodies.  But equally important, I salute the generosity of spirit that animates your every post on this board.  On an internet filled with cranks and nutjobs and just plain mean folk, your kindness and willingness to explore this wonderful world of guitar building with an open heart is an example to us all.

Guitar of the year, indeed.

Well said!

Again, thanks. Planning probably took longer than the actual build time. Of course, planning can be done while engaged in other activities.

Congrats, it is a beautiful guitar, I am often spending time looking at it and admiring the thoughtful design. Very cool.

Back