vocalists

nathan a

Lots of talk recently about favorites solos etc. Well, so what if this is a guitar/bass forum. Who are some vocalists you love? Any and all genres too, lets make this more interesting.

McCartney, Lennon, Paul Rogers, Robert Plant, Eric Clapton, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltry, Freddy Mercury, Ronnie Van Zant, Gilmour, Steve Miller, and Bob Dylan sometimes.

Tom Waits, Peter Gabriel, David Sylvian, Björk, Leonard Cohen, David Byrne.
Michael Stipe and Bono have really good rock voices.

Not my top favorite but he's WAY up there and definitely can't leave him out -

CHRIS CORNELL!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFSbQFKzHNs&feature=related[/youtube]

I like vocalists that have had no voice training (or at least, seem like they've had no voice training)...  with the exeption of Devin Townsend, Daniel Johns, Joey Tempest, Ian Thornley, Gary Cherone, Mike Patton, and George Michael (I know, I know)

Guys like Roger Waters, Brian Johnson, Maynard James Keenan, Till Lindemann (Rammstein), Anders Frieden (In Flames), Kirk Weindstein (Crowbar), Davey Havok (AFI), Dave Mustaine, Dexter Holland, Layne Stayley, Jerry Cantrell, Zakk Wylde, Joe Walsh, Oderus Urungus...  AAAAAAAAAAAAND so on.

I also like a lot of classic rock vocalists, and a lot of 80's pop vocalists...

I hate vocalists, they are always telling me to turn down.  :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Seriously, Van Morrison kills me and I don’t know why cause I can hardly understand a word he is singing but he does something to me.

Robert Cray is smoking; if you ever get a chance to see him and his band do it they are so good!  Beautiful voice and great guitar playing.

Okay, some of my favorites, this is a short and very incomplete list... Sam Beam, Badi Assad, Alexi Murdoch, 1970's vintage Robert Plant, Jónsi Birgisson, Diane Cluck.

My Top 3 - in this order

1. Freddie Mercury - Queen.  He could sing anything.....any style.....any day....
2. Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam
3. Eva Cassidy

Honourable mentions go to (in no particular order).

Paul Rodgers - Free / Bad Company
James Taylor
The Beach Boys.  Killer Harmonies
The BeeGees.      More Killer Harmonies
Darius Rucker - Hootie and the Blowfish
Danny Bowes - Thunder.    The sheer power he can generate (even now) is quite amazing
Dave Matthews - Dave Matthews Band
Hugh Coltman - The Hoax (UK blues band)

David Crosby
Neil Young
Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Maynard!!
Elton John
Jimi
Paul Simon
Freddie Mercury
Anthony Keidis (sp?  you know, the RHCP guy)
Van Morrison

Probably my all-time favorite rock voice is Mark Lanegan.

Some of my least-favorite voices... Dylan (sings through his nose), Springsteen (always sounds like he's yelling), Eddie Vedder (inserts too many "h"s into his words).

To name a few:
James Hetfield
Ozzy Osbourne
Bon Scott
Brad Delp
Steve Perry
Paul Simon
Eddie Vedder
Freddie Mercury

And not to leave out the fairer sex:
Aretha Franklin
Sarah McLaughlin
Sarah Vaughan
Joni Mitchell

Robert Plant and Maynard are probably my favs.

Oh and David Bowie....freakin killer.

Always liked Layne Staley too. And Rik Emmet (killer guitarist too). And Jon Anderson for some reason.

Fairer sex - Ann Wilson....she gives me goose bumps.

Cornell has moments in every song that make me think he is great, and moments in every song that make him sound bored and uninspired. I did like him more in the Soundgarden days though.
Steven Tyler makes me ill.

Roger Daltry
Johnette Napolitano
Chris Cornell
Freddy Mercury
Patsy Cline
Neko Case

Xplorervoodoo said:
I like vocalists that have had no voice training (or at least, seem like they've had no voice training)...  with the exeption of Devin Townsend, Daniel Johns, Joey Tempest, Ian Thornley, Gary Cherone, Mike Patton, and George Michael (I know, I know)

Guys like  , Till Lindemann (Rammstein), Anders Frieden (In Flames), Kirk Weindstein (Crowbar), Davey Havok (AFI), Dave Mustaine,  Zakk Wylde, Joe Walsh, Oderus Urungus...  AAAAAAAAAAAAND so on.

You said...what I was gonna say. I just edited out the ones I didn't like and there you have my list. :toothy11:

This is mostly based on 'skills' in singing, not on songwriting:

All-time favorite vocalist is Ella Fitzgerald. Other women whose voices I really love: Joan Baez, Margo Timmins. Guys: James Taylor, Jim Morrison, Jim Croce, Johnny Cash. The Clancy Brothers. Paul Simon is a really great singer too.

Worst vocalists (there are a lot in rock): DYLAN, Shane MacGowan, Michael Stipe, Sam Beam, i.e., most of my favorite songwriters. Can convey emotion but cannot "sing."

Whoever said Tom Waits was their favorite singer cracks me up too! Saying Dylan and Tom Waits are great singers is like saying Neil Young is a technical virtuoso on guitar. I'm just sayin....

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Geoff Tate
Ronnie James Dio
Bruce Dickinson
Rob Halford
Bill Miller
Steve Perry
Old School Jaymz Hetfield

Ditto.  I would add Ozzy to the list.

Dallas Green: City and Colour / Alexisonfire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YFyChVymeY&feature=related
Jared Leto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UWTngz1u94&feature=related

...  'k, that was a little dramatic.

Tim McIlrath:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3EJ5icvaHk

Dave Gahn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGs6rkKf-lk

errmm....  Richard Patrick, Jeff Martin, Maynard, ... yeah pretty much the list goes on. i'll stop posting utube vids now

Back