VIP without binding?

gcvsa

I did actually attempt to search for this, but didn't find anything that seemed directly relevant.

Is the VIP body available in solid woods, or without binding? I really dislike bindings, and with the discontinuation of the Carved Top LPS body, the VIP is the only body that interests me, anymore. I was going through the build options, and noticed that the builder would not allow me to select either a solid body or no binding.

I was told that if you work up what you want and send an email to sales@warmoth.com, they'll take the request out to the shop foreman to see if it's doable. But, out of the builder or over the phone, no immediate answer.

Cagey said:
I was told that if you work up what you want and send an email to sales@warmoth.com, they'll take the request out to the shop foreman to see if it's doable. But, out of the builder or over the phone, no immediate answer.

That's good to know, because I always want weird things in my instruments.

They can usually accommodate - they're a talented lot - but it takes some talking. Not everything can be automated in the online builder.

Prepare to pay a lot for a not-two layer top, brobi Wan kenobi. that binding doth cover the two laminated top layers, no? Probably looks funky without it.

BroccoliRob said:
Prepare to pay a lot for a not-two layer top, brobi Wan kenobi. that binding doth cover the two laminated top layers, no? Probably looks funky without it.

Here's a carved top LPS on Reverb right now. As you can see, it does not look weird, at all:

r4oipokujlxrqoum1xdg.jpg

The ones pictured without binding appear to be a single maple top.

Most of the carved tops now have what is called a double laminate. Without binding, it would look odd like the side of a piece of plywood.

You can read about it here.

Code:
old link deleted

Edit: 9 Jan 2022 Link to new site.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-lam-tops

How about this fine example of Koa and Mahogany?

VIPP274C.jpg

If my memory serves me correctly, they had a solid Padouk top at one point too...

I forgot to mention that I asked Warmoth about custom ordering a solid top and was told it was reserved for the showcase only. That was the summer of 2016 though...

And here was that Padouk top. I should've grabbed it while I had the chance.

VIPP278C.jpg

Hey everybody,
ALL carved tops are now built with Double Lam Top, and binding is standard. The binding is there to cover the double lam. DL tops without binding will look weird. The pictures above with the unbound tops are old bodies, built with the old-style single-piece top. That is not how they look any more.

Certain bodies, with certain woods, at certain times, can still be done with a single top, but expect to pay more. For an answer on your specific request, a phone call is required.

The move to DL tops was made for several reasons. First, high-grade, figured wood is becoming more scarce and expensive all the time. DL tops allow us to get more tops from a single piece of figured wood. Also, the simpler contour across the top is easier to sand, ergo less expensive.

Just make the rest of the body out of plywood and it won't look out of place. :icon_biggrin:

Just in case anyone checks this topic, I recently asked Warmoth about this and they pretty much said that the binding on a VIP is required regardless of the finish. From one of their emails: "Because of the carved top nature of the VIP body, binding is required." Understandable, they can't do everything.

Back