Vintage Tint

Tonar8352

I am doing some vintage tinting on tweed cabinets for Uncle Spot and doing a relic neck, so here is how I do it.

First I use Zinsser Amber Shellac cut with equal part of Shellac Solvent or Denatured Alcohol.  Here is the stuff getting ready to mix.  

IMG_2656.jpg

I am taping the neck using ¼ inch 3M masking tape to get the rounded ware pattern that we see on heavily played vintage guitars.  You can also get a good idea of how the shellac changes the color of the tweed.  The top tweed panel is raw and the bottom one has 4 coats and is ready to go.  

IMG_2660.jpg

Here is the neck ready for spraying.  I'll post a picture of it after 4 coats of shellac.

IMG_2663.jpg

I guess I'll need to get a tweed case and shellac it when my tele's done!

I suggest you save your pennies and buy an Uncle Spot 59 Tweed Deluxe style amp. http://unclespot.com/
He sells them for $1400.00.  Check what a Victoria 112 goes for and these smoke the Vicky’s.   Ron’s tweed amps are amazing and the Deluxe is out of control.  A guitar and cord is all you need.  I run mine with one of his stand-alone reverbs in front of it and it is the best recording rig we have used.    

I'll be getting a blackheart, then a job :p

How do overdriven bassman's sound? That interests me. After a while with a job, I could buy one of those. Then another guitar. Then decided I'll need college sometime or another. Along with a car.

Actually, that deluxe seems good. Lower wattage to rock out easier. :p

You have no idea how loud a real Bassman is. To get a good idea of what a real Bassman sounds like listen to Joe Walsh’s Rocky Mountain Way or Ronnie Montros’ Get on Your Bad Motor Scooter and Ride.  And then a classic Bassman sound with a strat is Buddy Guy.  I have clips of my Bassman and the Deluxe that I’ll see if I can get posted so you can hear the difference.

I actually shellaced a tweed case following some of -CB-'s advice, and it was exceedingly simple, and kind of fun.  I used the Zinsser amber as well.  I let the case get banged up just a little after  the shellac, but before some final coats of deft laquer.  It looks really cool now.  If I can, I'll try to get a pic of it soon.

Tonar8353 said:

I suggest you save your pennies and buy an Uncle Spot 59 Tweed Deluxe style amp. http://unclespot.com/
He sells them for $1400.00.  Check what a Victoria 112 goes for and these smoke the Vicky’s.   Ron’s tweed amps are amazing and the Deluxe is out of control.  A guitar and cord is all you need.  I run mine with one of his stand-alone reverbs in front of it and it is the best recording rig we have used.    

UNCLE SPOT!~~~~~ is he still around!  AKA Ron the Pervert!  Love it!~~  He and I go back a few years, all good I can assure you~ (probably stole my amp idea tho... its ok, he's worthy)

UNCLE SPOT!~~~~~ is he still around!  AKA Ron the Pervert!  Love it!~~  He and I go back a few years, all good I can assure you~ (probably stole my amp idea tho... its ok, he's worthy)

Ron is the man and one of my best friends.  I live about a mile from his shop and hang out all the time.  Every amp I own is subject to his magic touch and he built my Tweed Bassman, Tweed Deluxe and Stand-alone reverb.  He gave me a Leslie 145 for my 50th birthday, which is amazing I love that thing. Plus I get to play every killer amp that comes into his shop.  He calls me and tells me to come over and check out this or that and I wind up playing some of the most amazing vintage pieces plus I get to buy some really cool pieces now and then.

I can’t even describe to you what that guy means to me as a friend.

How do you know him?

"He gave me a Leslie 145 for my 50th birthday, which is amazing I love that thing."

You got the B3 to go with that?

For Shame! get a B3 . . . (or an A100, or a C3 . . . same thing)

The person I play with uses a 50's C3 with a Leslie 122.  But my 145 will never have anything plugged in to it but a guitar. It stays in the performance road case for safekeeping and gets used live whenever possible!   :guitaristgif:
IMG_6217.jpg

Tonar, for the first time in my life, I heard a B3 Organ with a leslie in person at a Steve Winwood/Santana concert. I'm a fan. I wish they played guitar through it too.

Tonar8353 said:

Those are some nice-looking amps. I especially like the ultra-conservative faceplates that do away with all the goofy numbers and verbiage that don't mean anything. If they sound half as good as they look, he's got some real winners on his hands.

Tonar, do you use one of the Trek II preamp units?  I am rebuilding a Leslie 125.  I have all of the parts now, George Fish got me an authentic 125 speed switching box from his parts stash, so I have authentic stuff ready for it.  But, I do not have a preamp/speed control unit.  I have seen the Trek II stuff, but don't know of anybody that has tried one.  If that is what you are using, what do you think of it?  Thanks
Patrick

Patrick,
I have a vintage Leslie Pre Amp.  I have no experience with Trek ll, sorry I can't be more helpful.

I don't have any Trek guitar-leslie gear, but I do have a TrekII Percussion Unit installed in my B2. They make good quality stuff. Highly recommend the company  :icon_thumright:

Back