very concerned

rightintheface

hey guys, just thought i'd drop some concern: my neck arrived yesterday (i live in australia), and i was very very concerned and somewhat disappointed to see that my neck had ABSOLUTELY NO PADDING OR PROTECTION WHATSOEVER. the box itself was hideously crushed and brutalised, and i was grimacing when i opened it up. thank god nothing was wrong with it. the neck itself was allowed to just rattle around in the box as well. it was very lucky to come out unscathed, and beautiful as hell.

has anybody else had this problem? not meaning to just bitch, but i definitely think it needs to be rectified, especially for international shipping.

Warmoth's packaging has evolved over many years through trial and error. It is a balancing act of over doing it and under doing it. Over doing it increases costs that we have to pass on to the consumer. Keep costs low and that also keeps prices low.

The packaging you have received has been damaged by poor handling but still kept the part safe somehow. Warmoth has very few incidents of damaged goods though the number of packages we ship is immense. We feel confident by the low ratio of packages damaged versus the high number of packages sent that our packaging methods are in a very good zone.

Your box didn't have padding in it because the neck was originally suspended securely inside between two cardboard holders. The abnormal abuse your box took disrupted these holders.

My neck and body arrived fine but it seems like some bubble wrap would be in order for shipping to Australia.  :dontknow:

My body came loose in the box, which also had metal parts in it!!  There was an obvious "nick" on the bottom, but it was unfinished and I was able to mostly conceal when I finished it.  I would assume finished or painted bodies would have bubble wrap or something around it?!?  Not that hard to put some newspaper or something around it.

Both of the finished bodies that I have ordered from Warmoth came wrapped in foam, and with many peanuts.  Both necks came, as Gregg said, suspended in the box on two cardboard cutouts.  One of my neck boxes looked like hell when it got here, but the neck was fine.  I have faith that if anything was damaged in transit, Warmoth or Ups, or whoever would take care of it.  Maybe that is naive, but thankfully I have not had to test that theory.  I'm glad that you didn't either, Rightintheface. 

hmmm didn't occur to me it could be damaged. i was fortunate enough that my boxes came almost unscathed. not bashed at all. opened it up and everything was fine. but i suppose it would be prudent to have some form of protection for the neck. my body came with foam packaging.

Never had a problem.  Go figure.  I've even reused the neck boxes to ship the old necks.  No one ever complained.

spauldingrules said:
My body came loose in the box, which also had metal parts in it!!  There was an obvious "nick" on the bottom, but it was unfinished and I was able to mostly conceal when I finished it.  I would assume finished or painted bodies would have bubble wrap or something around it?!?  Not that hard to put some newspaper or something around it.
Degree of difficulty is not the issue. My first post covered how we arrived at our shipping conclusions. Believe it or not, it's taken years of thought and hundreds of thousands of packages shipped to get to where we are. I'm sure our shipping methods willl continue to change and improve like they always have. We do rely on reports like at the beginning of this thread, so always please tell us if you've experienced a shipping problem. We usually don't get calls when things are great, but we always hear about it when they're not so great!  :laughing7:

My body and neck came wrapped in that thin foamy stuff.  i was pretty satisfied with the packaging.

With my first complete Warmoth body & neck (arrived in May 07) both came in boxes filled with pieces of foam. Then I ordered a neck to upgrade an old Squier earlier this year. That neck by itself arrived in a cardboard box held in place by more cardboard. I know the neck is far more important to worry about than the box, but when I saw there was no foam I couldn't help but think, "That's it?"

Is there any way we can have an option to choose the foam packaging or the empty cardboard? I saw in a previous post that Gregg said it's in part about keeping cost down for both Warmoth and us, but I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind spending a few more dolllars just to get our $1K or $2K worth of parts to us safely.

Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like we have the same postie RITF. My last delivery was a particularly nice all rosewood neck which arrived unscathed but in a very dilapidated looking cardboard box. I'm happy that nothing else fell out. Mostly I've been happy with the packing. I have had plenty of necks packed that way without any drama but when the box gets bashed around it scares the s**t out of a bloke. :eek:

thats just it: it scared the crap outta me!!! especially seeing as it had extra costs for custom inlays blah blah blah.

and i totally understand about the whole packaging costs being handed down to customers, and fair enough too. but my neck, was in fact, just inside a box. no slings, no bits of cardboard in it. just a box, with a neck rattling around, and the decal/label etc pack.

i dont mean to stir the pot, just wanted to let my concern out. my neck did arrive in perfect nick  :laughing7:

and it is a smoking hot piece of work. pics will come soon when project is complete.

I guess for international shipping, extra packaging should be utilized, which would have to be added to the shipping cost. Simple solution, eh? Warmoth is over 3000 miles from me here in SC, and every box I ever got from them was immaculate. However, I can see how shipping half way around the world might be taxing for the box they use nationally.
BB in SC

"the box itself was hideously crushed and brutalised...it....came out unscathed..."

Sounds like the box design works fine!

Back