Velocity - Daisy Duke

DocNrock

Master Member
It's done!  Here are a few specs: 

Body:  Carved top Velocity, chambered black korina.
Black binding 
Unique Choice washed blue dye and is finished by Warmoth.
iMarzio Area 58 in the single coil slot for those chimey tones.  First time trying direct mount to wood.  Seemed to work ok.  :laughing7:
The humbucker is a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF., something very different that I have ever done.  There is a three-way toggle betwen the volume and tone controls.

Neck is quartrsawn maple and fingerboard with a matching quilt veneer.
The remainder of the neck finish is satin nitro.
Standard thin profile, 1-11/16 nut width, Graphteck nut.
The inlays are azurite/malachite to mach the washed blue dye.

The other features are Planet Waves tuners.
6115 frets
24 3/4 conversion neck.

Pots are CTS and there is RS Gutiarworks 0.022 uF cap in there.  No other fancy swiching. 

The prettiest girl in the crowd, if you ask me.  Nobody did, but really, of all your very handsome axes, this one does it for me more than the others.  Nice choices, Brent. 

For some reason the BK always throws me off. I guess I'm expecting to see clear gloss mahogany or transfer blue laser or ash or something along those lines. I love this guitar so I'm always in the Daisy Duke threads. That BK just smacks me upside the head whey time I see her backside. Awesome guitar Doc! :headbang1:

Very bad ass indeed Brent, certainly gives DBU's Blue a run for his money.

Definitely the best two Blue's on the block...
Tele%20003.JPG

GOM%20Submission%201_zpsu1p2p2tg.jpg

Daisy Dukes is right. The blue eye candy on the front is really just a minor distraction compared to what's going on the back there. Did I just say that? That's a gorgeous piece of BK. Who's idea was it to stick even the highest grade of vanilla I mean maple on the front?

Sweet bruddah! Turned out so nice. How you liking those frets. I put them on my last two builds and really like them.

Again, awesome commentary from some great builders on this board.  Thank you.  I almost went with an ebony board and a swamp ash back, but in the end I'm pleased with the way she turned out. 

:glasses9: :rock-on: :headbang1:

Really great looking guitar, congrats. The blue quilt over the black korina back is not something I would have thought of but it looks amazing.

Thanks, guys!  Now that I have it back from having a tech properly set it up and give the frets a good level/crown/polish, I can say that it does play like a blue dream!  Now, if only I was good enough to play Satch's Blue Dream, I'd be in great shape.  LOL.

Just for grins, after he did the setup, I had him string it up with DR strings that are blue in color. 

Do you have any shots of the side of the body?  I'd love to see how the binding meets with the back.

That does help, thanks.  So can you see the maple strips of the double laminate on the heel end of the guitar?  On the side at least, it looks like the binding bumps right up against the korina, which is what I expected to see all the way around the guitar.

This double lam thing has really been hard to wrap my head around lol!

The top being visible between the binding and the back isn't caused by the double-lam, it's just a consequence of shape of the carve.

Try doing a google image search for 'binding in cutaway'. There are examples of how Gibson (used to) avoid the issue (more work and cost).

That's not the way it was just recently explained to me. I was pointed to this page:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/LaminateTop.aspx

I believe you're seeing part of the plain maple slab there.

Back