*Updated* Black PJ Jazz bass with Padouk/Pau Ferro neck

PrestonSF said:
So....  How's it sound?  :sign13:

It sounds like this:
PrestonSF said:
mwah mwah mwaaaaahhh
:blob7:

Ok, so the strings have settled in now and the tone isn't so buzzy.

The tone is bright and clean.
I was afraid that the raw fingerboard would give me a tone that was too woody sounding, but it isn't a problem at all. It sounds great.
Interesting though, i am not seeing a huge jump from playing an epoxy coated board to a raw wood board. It's subtle.
I think that the raw wood actually sounds a bit better, but its hard to say whether its just the fingerboard, or the whole bass that makes it sound better.

Harmonics are nice and clear, but i am having a bit of trouble with the unlined thing in certain spots, so my harmonics are sounding muffled sometimes.
For example, those harmonics around the 2nd and 3rd fret area keep throwing me off, because i don't quite know where they are without fretlines to guide me.

I need to EQ it a bit, but overall, the tone is nearly perfect for what i am after!

Warmoth finally put up my gallery submission.  :icon_biggrin:

My bass is now on the J-Bass customer gallery:

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/Gallery.aspx?type=J_BASS

line6man said:
Warmoth finally put up my gallery submission.  :icon_biggrin:

My bass is now on the J-Bass customer gallery:

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/Gallery.aspx?type=J_BASS
Nice man, grats!  :icon_thumright:

That's one of the better lookin' Warmoth basses I've seen. Well done.  Looks good out there on the pool deck. :icon_thumright:

She's now sporting a Hipshot Xtender/ D-tuner :icon_biggrin:

3516765040_c2469c2e86.jpg

3515952777_7d58d49432.jpg

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Very nice.  I like the blade switch too.  Is that the same body, or is it new?

Same body.

I wanted the switch to remove the unused volume pot from the circuit when I solo a pickup, so that it doesn't reduce my output/treble by running parallel to the volume that's being used and cutting the resistance from signal to ground in half.

People argue with me on how big of a difference it makes, but either way, if nothing else, the switch lets me quickly toggle between the pickups without messing with the volume knobs.

My luthier said it's the first time he has ever done a switch route, because he usually persuades people to do Gibson style toggles.
He said it was really difficult to route (It recesses to as thin as a pickguard...) but I think he did a great job with it!

And again, thanks to Mayfly and Tonar for sending me switch tips!

Max said:
3917337494_b33c184ff3.jpg

Compared to attached file.

Are you saying that my bass looks as bad as your crappy photoshop work? :blob7:

Ha! looks exactly the same though doesn't it.

I'm glad u got it a P pup... I always liked this bass but now it seems complete to me. And the blade switch is AWESOME  :icon_thumright:

Little update...

I decided to put on the Padouk thumbrest today.
Here is a (crappy) picture:
3977258239_e99a2b5077.jpg

What do you guys think?

Back