December 2013 Guitar of the Month Contest Submissions

GOM

Hello all,

We're now announcing the December, 2013 Guitar of the Month contest!  December's contest will be "Warmoth/Professionally Finished" and requires at least a Warmoth neck or body to qualify.

Please read the GOM rules, which have been refined, with some slight changes, and are posted in a sticky in this forum area.

Submissions must be sent, to uwfgom@gmail.com, and contain two images no greater than 1024x768, along with your description and details of the instrument.  Send your submission in plain text email.  Your photos must be attachments to the email.  Your unOfficialWarmoth Forum user name must be included in the body of the email.

In turn, your images will posted to this message, which is December's submission thread.

Submissions will be accepted until December 10th, so get your cameras clicking!

January will be the Guitar of the Year contest, which will feature 2013 monthly contest winners!  How exciting!

As usual, all discussion for the submissions can take place below, along with other pictures hosted by the poster.

Good luck, and may the best guitar/bass win!

Guitar #1 by tubby.twins

I built this guitar as a gift for a close friend of mine.  The body is straight from the showcase (PS8218) and it has a gorgeous quilted maple top over a mahogany body.  The natural masked binding really makes the purple dye finish look amazing.  I had this body routed for a Wilkinson tremolo and three P-90 humbucker pickup routes, in which I installed a matched set of Lollar hand-wound Mini Humbucker pickups.  The wiring is a simple 5-way switch with a volume and tone control.  The neck is made of goncalo alves with a pau ferro fingerboard.

Guitar #2 by Justinianus

Warmoth Vintage Modern Stratocaster neck
One piece Flame Maple
Standard Thin shape
Clear Gloss Finish
SS6150 (Stainless) frets
GraphTech Black TUSQ XL nut
Black dot inlays
Chrome Fender Locking tuners (with brass bushings)
Silver Fender logo sticker

Warmoth Telecaster Thinline 72 body
Flame Maple Top
Mahogany body
Tiger Eye dye finish
Tobacco Burst back finish
Natural Masked binding
Gotoh massive steel block vintage tremolo with PRS nickel/brass saddles

Warmoth custom Cream Pearl Thinline 72 Pickguard
Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker bridge pickup
Seymour Duncan P-rails neck pickup (wired rails to middle and P90 to neck)
CRL Stratocaster 5 way switch
2 Fender TBX tone pots, one wired to neck and one to middle
Push/Push Volume pot with trebble bleed
3 way mini toggle switch for bridge s/s/p wiring
2 way mini toggle switch for 7 sound mod + bridge tone
Amber speed knobs
US tele input
Schaller strap locks

The wiring is something I designed myself, and I'm very pleased with the sounds it gives me. I basically used a standard stratocaster 5 way switch wiring with some extra mods. I use the P-rails as two seperate pickups with a push/push pot to get all 4 sound options (Rails (middle)/P90 (neck)/humbucking series/humbucking parallel (stratocaster *2 in between like sound)).
I wired the bridge pickup to a mini toggle switch to be able to switch between humbucker series/single coil/parallel wiring. The *4 position gives me bridge+rails pickups, and the 2 way toggle switch adds the p90 to the selected pickup and also adds the neck tone pot to the bridge (these options give a more Telecaster like sound). The bridge pickup doesn't have a tone pot, so it gives a ''hot'' output (around 16k) and a very Les Paul like sound. The rails pickup has a very Stratocaster like sound with the TBX control on 10 for ''boosted'' trebble (it's passive so it's more of a change in focus than an actual boost, allthough it does give it about 0.5k extra output). The P90 has the typical ''hot'' singlecoil sound, with the TBX control on 10 for extra clarity it's a bit like a boosted stratocaster neck pickup (I like it a lot! and couldn't do without the TBX anymore).

Guitar #3 by Ribeye

Body:
Swamp Ash telecaster shape
Sherwood Green finish
Mint Green pickguard
Wilkinson short tele bridge with compensated brass saddles
Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90 pickups with black ring for bridge pickup
Chrome control plate, flatop knobs, neckplate, string ferrules, straplocks & screws
Electrosocket jackplate
500k CTS pots
3-way switchcraft switch
Vintage pushback wire
10-46 strings

Neck:
One piece maple
Strat shape headstock
Standard thin contour
Vintage tint satin finish
Vintage style Gotoh tuners with green keystone buttons
Chrome vintage round string guide

Guitar #4 by Rapfohl09

Anniversary Telecaster

Body - Flame maple capped mahogany body with a contoured heel and tummy cut. Routed for all of the standard tele options. Finished by Tonar as a sort of semblance to his "On Fire Thinline". Amber dyed topped with a slight black burst, clean line transition to a clear gloss back.

Neck - Boatneck contoured BE maple neck with an indian rosewood fretboard. Warmoth compound radius, 6150 frets, and fitted with vintage tuners. I cut the micarta nut myself. Finished with a few light coats of Tru-Oil that has gotten a slight amber hue with time.

Hardware/Etc. - A pretty straightforward guitar with a Gotoh tele bridge, GFS professional series tele pickups, Alpha electronics, and as mentioned before Gotoh vintage style tuners.

Guitar #5 by grabby

Guitar: Black Soloist
Body: Warmoth Soloist, one piece alder back and one piece quilt maple top
Neck: Warmoth Strat, birdseye maple on birdseye maple; gloss finish by Warmoth

Originally a 90s era body finished in blue/teal - I had Tonar refinish this baby in transparent black on the front and glossy black on the back and sides

Electronics: SD P-rails (flipped around) and triple shot rings
Hardware: Planet Waves locking tuners

Guitar #6 by Wolfie351

Body: Swamp Ash, Warmoth finished gloss black w/vintage tint masked binding
Neck: Bocote, unfinished
Hardware: Wilkinson WVP6 bridge, Planet Waves tuners, bocote pickguard
Electronics: Fender Custom Shop '54s

Guitar #7 Updown

Body ... Custom Build SG
Solid 1 - 3/4'' Thinkness
Swamp Ash
Rear Rout H x H (wood mount)
Contoured Heel
3/4'' Side Jack Hole
Routed for 2TEK Bridge
Graffiti Yellow

Neck … Custom Build, Warmoth Pro, Maple neck
Ebony Dark, unique choice Fretboard
Stainless Steal Frets SS6115
1 11/16" Nut width
Graph Tech Black TUSQ Nut
10 -16" Compound Radius,
Standard Thin Neck
Skull & Cross Bones (12th fret only)
Graffiti Yellow Peg Face
Clear Satin Nitro Finish
Sperzel Lok Tuners 

Hardware...
2TEK Bridge
SD Invader (Neck) Black & Yellow                                                                   
SD Invader (Bridge) Black & Yellow
Custom Dougie Neckplate & Truss Rod Cover, (painted by me)
2 x Vol, 2 x Tone Push / Push, CTS 500 Pots
Orange Drop Capacitors
Oval output socket
Black Schaller Strap Locks
Black Knobs with Yellow Dots
3 Way Toggle

Guitar #8 by hannaugh

"Sue"

Mahogany/flame maple chambered body
Tonar orangey/faded Iced Tea-ish burst nitro finish
Nickel Tonepros bridge & aluminum nickel tailpiece
Roadhouse PAF-style pickups w/nickel covers
Neckplate by Doug

Mahogany/rosewood neck (they told me it was the last LP neck ever custom ordered)
Tonar oil finish with nitro black face headstock
Grover mini locking tuners
Earvana shelf nut

If any of you think the images of your entry seem like they're smaller than the file you sent me, let me know.  I had some issues with the GOM gmail account, and for some reason some of them seemed to shrink a little after getting downloaded and sent to photobucket.  If you let me know, I'll try downloading them a different way and I might be able to correct the problem (if there is one).  I had to fix a couple of them already. 

hannaugh said:
Wow, that Thinline is nice!  :eek:

So is SUE, and the Strat with the Bocote pickguard, and... yeah.  Everything is nice.  It's good to see so many really nice entries this month.  I honestly don't know how to vote.  :)

tubby.twins said:
I honestly don't know how to vote.  :)
Well it's real easy, you select one of the little circles and press the vote button  :icon_jokercolor:  :laughing7:

Oppps sorry about that.  :icon_biggrin:

What a lovely bunch of guitars  :icon_thumright:  good luck all.

Dayum. There are guitars on here I would pick over my own entry. And it's my favorite guitar.

Thinline is amazing. Sue - wow. Strat w/ 3 mini humbuckers - "oh no you d-int!"

Another entry, another distant 4th (at best).

Anyone wanna trade?

I forget who it was, but props go to whoever I stole the black/bocote theme from.  But, it was far too compelling to not copy.  Added my own flair to it though

Ribeye said:
GOM said:
If any of you think the images of your entry seem like they're smaller than the file you sent me, let me know.  I had some issues with the GOM gmail account, and for some reason some of them seemed to shrink a little after getting downloaded and sent to photobucket.  If you let me know, I'll try downloading them a different way and I might be able to correct the problem (if there is one).  I had to fix a couple of them already.
View proper sizing here:
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22825.0

All fixed!

Not that this is all about winning, but I couldn't have picked a worse month to enter my guitar. There are some seriously good looking entries this month!!

Back