Unfinished necks...then what about unfinished bodies?

jeffjozwiak

I need clarification. Why can we have an unfinished neck and I hear nothing about the body as such? The neck will go through much more grime and wear from the hand sweat, weather and such. The body is relatively unexposed to that sort of abuse. I understand that you gain more from the neck not being finished for tonal reasons. That doesn't mean the body can't go without a finish. Can someone help shed some light.

Joz

most body woods turn grey if you don't finish them.
you could use exotic woods for a body.. (there are some padouk, rosewood and wenge bodies on the forum) but they are obviously more expensive that regular body woods.

I think because of the allergic-type reaction many people have to paduak and other exotic woods, it would be best to finish these.

Joz said:
I need clarification. Why can we have an unfinished neck and I hear nothing about the body as such? The neck will go through much more grime and wear from the hand sweat, weather and such. The body is relatively unexposed to that sort of abuse. I understand that you gain more from the neck not being finished for tonal reasons. That doesn't mean the body can't go without a finish. Can someone help shed some light.

I would submit that bodies take one helluva lot more abuse than necks do. Look at any "relic" guitar. The neck is only marginally harmed, while the body will be a wreck. Also, finish does not affect tone on a neck (or a body, for that matter, with electrics). Depending on the wood it's make out of, a neck's finish will keep it from warping/twisting. Sometimes, there's a "feel" issue, and sometimes there's an appearance issue (or some combination of all three). Usually, "feel" isn't an issue on bodies, although appearance is, as well as durability/wearability.

All that said, you're welcome to go finish-free on a body. Nobody says you can't. But, not many people do because it'll look like hell in no time.

I believe the concern with necks is that they will warp or twist and become unplayable.

So the only concern with bodies would be more "cosmetic" protection from the kind of discoloration and abuse mentioned above.

I didn't finish my rosewood twelecaster and have no worries - but it's a "stay at home and treat like a baby" guitar, so I'm not sweating all over it, scratching it or banging it into stuff all the time either.

drewfx said:
I believe the concern with necks is that they will warp or twist and become unplayable.

So the only concern with bodies would be more "cosmetic" protection from the kind of discoloration and abuse mentioned above.

I didn't finish my rosewood twelecaster and have no worries - but it's a "stay at home and treat like a baby" guitar, so I'm not sweating all over it, scratching it or banging it into stuff all the time either.
Agreed, if it's a guitar that will not be gigged and used only at home or in a controlled environment. Then I wouldn't worry so much about putting a finish on it, depending on what kind of wood it's made of. But if you're intimidated about doing a finish, then I'd say go for something all exotic... Here's a good example from the GOTM thread, all wenge body and neck with ebony fretboard...No finish required..
fidde1.jpg

IMO, if a neck becomes warped because of no finish, it is beyond adjustment to be playable.  It would make sense a body could also warp or twist in a similar fashion, but everything mounted to it can be adjusted to compensate; saddles, pickup height, neck shims, etc.  Not so easy with a neck.

The reasons for wanting an unfinished neck are also different than a body.  Your hand touches and moves on the neck, so a good feel there is probably more important than the feel of the forearm on the picking hand.  I would bet most would want a raw neck before a raw body.

You could argue that at the end, Stevie Ray Vaughan and especially Rory Gallagher were playing on what were essentially unfinished bodies, but it is assumed that all of those finishes were replaced by catalyzed sweat, beer, drool and who-really-knows? You could even start up a relicing business promising to use genuine sweat, beer, drool and who-really-knows, but if it got busy you'd have to import Chinese, and no one knows if that would work for da real blues.
"If It Wasn't for Bad Ruck, We Might Not Have No Ruck at ARR...." :eek: :eek: :eek:

StubHead said:
You could argue that at the end, Stevie Ray Vaughan and especially Rory Gallagher were playing on what were essentially unfinished bodies, but it is assumed that all of those finishes were replaced by catalyzed sweat, beer, drool and who-really-knows? You could even start up a relicing business promising to use genuine sweat, beer, drool and who-really-knows, but if it got busy you'd have to import Chinese, and no one knows if that would work for da real blues.
"If It Wasn't for Bad Ruck, We Might Not Have No Ruck at ARR...." :eek: :eek: :eek:

LOL

Back