Unfinished Black Limba body?

Disco Scottie

Can a Black Limba body be used in an unfinished state? It's not a neck, so there's no worry about warping. If I were to do so, how would it age over time?

Probably could, but why? Over time it’ll get grease stains, beer stains, dirt embedded etc.  and what happens if any significant moisture gets on it ... why not give yourself peace of mind avoid blotches and do something that will bring out the beautiful grain like a simple tung or gun oil finish, its almost like no finish and looks so good.

The question is are you wanting it to age?  I would still be hesitant not to put something on a body.  Honestly to keep a natural look, a few coats of satin poly preserve the natural wood look and feel.  2-4 thin mist coats do the trick and it is hard to tell its finished. 

I have seen bodies warp from moisture, particularly around the neck pocket. 

Disco Scottie said:
Can a Black Limba body be used in an unfinished state? It's not a neck, so there's no worry about warping. If I were to do so, how would it age over time?

You need a sealer coat, otherwise the wood grain will rise and swell with humidity and sweat. 

And some time down the road you'll start to get cracks in the body. You need to at least seal it with something to keep out moisture and control expansion and contraction due to seasonal changes..... :headbang:

Back