'unfinished'- a good or bad iea?

jorri

specifically black korina.
perhaps, as unfinished-looking as possible with the least work that i can do myself.
i dont have much space or $$ at the moment, so anything simple.

my neck woods are safe, i know as advertised to be by warmoth, but what would happen to the body?
would it age, crack, fall apart, get beaten by playing? or just look less defined?

or has anyone left a guitar unfinished for, say a few months and come back to finish it?

I've just realised my cost-saving option of no finish, may be more complicated than i thought!

it would probably get dirty and grey-ish very fast. and leave deep marks when you bump it..
I would slap some tru or danish oil on!

Tru or danish oil at a minimum. Costs a few bucks, takes a week or so to apply a couple coats and let it cure.

MinWax wipe on poly is very easy. Apply a few coats, then go over with some 0000 steel wool.
Apply a few more coats, then steel wool and buff (or simply use some polish on an old white tee shirt).

http://www.minwax.com/products/oil_based_clear_protective_finishes/wipe_on_poly.html

yeah put some sort of finish on it. otherwise the oils from your hands alone could mess it up pretty quick.

Back