Unexpected addition to the family.

tfarny

Master Member
So, after work I head to GC because they have a special on strings (5 martin SP sets for $20). They had this nicely used Regal resonator for a very fair price, the strings were trashed though so it was hard to hear it. So the saleslady (not a "salesdude", but an actual helpful courteous salesperson!) offers to put on a new set! She does so, the guitar sounds really pretty great for the price, and blammo I've got both a resonator and a semi-beater in one, exactly what I was after! Needs a bit of setup TLC but I'm a little unsure of the details and what sort of tension is normal on a round-neck. I've got it to GBDGBD with .013-.056 right now and there's a fair bit of relief going on, but I may want relief on this, I'm not sure.

Off to the Resoforum to introduce myself to my new BFFs there and get setup advice.

Oh, and Tonar shipped my red tele body a couple of days ago, so soon there'll be even more bundles of joy in the house!

Its a Regal, but its gonna get that Dobro Mojo Two Tone T-Bone Long Gone Sing Song Blues thing goin.

Awesome. Resonators are wicked cool. I really have no idea how to play them "properly," but even strummed chords sound cool through them! Good score!  :icon_thumright:

Nice score.  With a well fit cone, you'll be styling!  :icon_thumright:

ErogenousJones said:
Awesome. Resonators are wicked cool. I really have no idea how to play them "properly," but even strummed chords sound cool through them! Good score!  :icon_thumright:
Its just a different method of guitar amplification, rather than the traditional acoustic soundboard.  They use a biscuit bridge and cone to generate volume.  Other than that there's technically no incorrect style of playing them...unless you refer to it as a Dobro.

Blue313 said:
Nice score.  With a well fit cone, you'll be styling!  :icon_thumright:

ErogenousJones said:
Awesome. Resonators are wicked cool. I really have no idea how to play them "properly," but even strummed chords sound cool through them! Good score!  :icon_thumright:
Its just a different method of guitar amplification, rather than the traditional acoustic soundboard.  They use a biscuit bridge and cone to generate volume.  Other than that there's technically no incorrect style of playing them...unless you refer to it as a Dobro.

True, but it just doesn't feel right to be playing one if you're not cranking out greasy Delta blues licks with a slide made from an old whiskey bottle...  :laughing7:

Hmm, the title of this thread made me expect a sordid tale of prophylactic failure.

Well, if you define "prophylactic" broadly enough, it is. My "GAS preventor" definitely failed, and I ended up with a black Chinese love child.
(I know that was tasteless; gimme a break).
Edit: playing this thing is FUN! I have a nut riser, I already installed it, now it's a bit late to play anymore. It's loud! Seems like the farther you get from trying to do both fretting and slide at the same time, the easier each one is.

Blue313 said:
 They use a biscuit bridge and cone to generate volume.

Well except for the ones that use a spider bridge like the one tfarny bought. BTW, there should be a screw attaching the spider to the cone at the middle of the bridge. I don't see one in the pic... all I see is hole. Is it missing or is that an optical illusion?  :icon_scratch:

Back