Two unrelated pickup opinion questions

Rickgrxbass

In order to be as un-annoying as possible in asking "what's the best pickup for <blank>?", here's two in one thread:

-Fretless bass? the bass in question, annoyingly, has EMG-35 DC's in it currently, annoying both because I don't like the tone and it's an odd size; maybe some Nordy's? Ideal tone here is (predictably enough) "warm and woody" (giggity). maple/mahog body with a padauk/pau ferro neck, it's going to be pretty warm on its own, I think...

-Bass VI? Namely, something that sounds more bass-y than traditional Jag pickups, ideally something that would sound good in a bass amp. This is more rhetoric, as the guitar doesn't exist yet. Maybe some hot DiMarzio's like Pettruci uses in his bari?

I would go through Best Bass Gear's page on pickups to find the one that will fit into the EMG route.  There are a couple of Nordstrands that will, but there is a bit of weirdness surrounding that particular pickup shape.  If you can call the guys at Best Bass Gear, they are very good at suggesting the product that fits the criteria.  Also they talk to Mr. Nordstrand himself, so they have all kinds of insight.

For the Bass VI, I'd talk to Ken at Roadhouse Pickups.  His name is Troubled Treble here on this board.  If you are getting something more custom, he is the guy to talk to, plus his pickups sound marvelous.  He does something different in construction, and it add mojo.  Good mojo.  Several of us board members have sets of his pickups and are pleased.
Patrick

Rick wants a snarky new name too said:
Ideal tone here is (predictably enough) "warm and woody" (giggity). maple/mahog body with a padauk/pau ferro neck, it's going to be pretty warm on its own, I think...

Why would you think that?

It's difficult to speculate, but in any case, Maple makes a very bright body, and Padauk/Pau Ferro is similar to Maple/Maple.

line6man said:

It's difficult to speculate, but in any case, Maple makes a very bright body, and Padauk/Pau Ferro is similar to Maple/Maple.

Fair enough, I was figuring it would at least be "less bright" than my G4, which is walnut with a wenge/ebony neck/board, so maybe my barometer is a little off.

Patrick from Davis said:
For the Bass VI, I'd talk to Ken at Roadhouse Pickups.

I ping'd Ken last fall when I was poking around some other ideas, I suppose it couldn't hurt to check back in...

Rick wants a snarky new name too said:
line6man said:

Fair enough, I was figuring it would at least be "less bright" than my G4, which is walnut with a wenge/ebony neck/board, so maybe my barometer is a little off.

Patrick from Davis said:
For the Bass VI, I'd talk to Ken at Roadhouse Pickups.

I ping'd Ken last fall when I was poking around some other ideas, I suppose it couldn't hurt to check back in...

I'd imagine it to be far brighter, but again, it's very difficult to speculate.

Back