Tuner ream question

rookosu

Question, got a neck in that was spec'd for gotoh/grover tuner ream.  Have some Gotoh magnum tuners I am throwing in the holes.

I haven't screwed/fastened them in the headstock yet, but just test fitting them, they are not snug fit at all.  All other warmoth necks I've had you needed to give it a lil' push to even get the post through the hole, then assemble.

These can rotate 360 degrees without touching the interior of the ream hole.  Is that fine?  Once you screw in the set screw, then tighten the two assembly (top and bottom of headstock) pcs together and tighten them in place is that fine?

Or is this a concern because you need that tension fit to help with tuning stability?

I never understood the Gotoh tuner ream that is specified by Warmoth.  According to the website it is 13/32" at the body of the tuner, which is 10.32mm.  That is over-size when you want to fit a tuner that has a body diameter of 10.0mm.  Basically I'd suggest to check the data sheet for the specific tuner you are buying.

When I used the Gotoh SG381 locking tuners for my project, I selected the Schaller 25/64" tuner ream, which is 9.92mm.  After a light sanding with sandpaper on a pen, they are a snug fit.  I can't really advise people what is right and what is wrong.  IMO its worthwhile to download all the datasheets and drawings for the various parts, so you can identify any fitment issues in advance.

Back