Tuner Question

Bob Darby

I know this question has probably been asked before but here we go. I am installing a set of hip-shot ultralight tuners 1/2 on my Warmoth neck 17mm hole. There seems to be a lot of clearance between the bushing and the tuner hole. Is this normal. I have installed other tuners on warmoth necks and they had a little movement but not this much. Am I over thinking this?

Yes I've been there too.  I took a little aluminum tape and wrapped it around the bushings, building up layers until it was snug enough. I think it's the difference between metric and imperial measurements you are dealing with.

I did a little more research and it seems that Hipshot makes some bushings that might help now I just got to figure out what one to order. I was concerned because I seemed to have to really tighten the shaft nut but if I applied some pressure it would move a little. The other issue is the alignment seems to be hit or miss. I may hit the hardware store and see if I can find something that will work for a bushing. I had already ordered a second set for another project so I will spend some time to get this right.Thanks

I think I figured it out hipshot makes three different bushings. The ones that came with it were the smaller ones around 15mm. I just ordered the size in the middle the 17mm. They also make one for 18mm. I will feel a lot better getting the right one. We shall see. You would think for the price they would include at least two different sizes.
Due to the variation in peg-head bore size on basses with 1/2" post sized tuners Hipshot offers 3 different bushing diameters for their Ultralight tuners and Ultralight Detuners.

There are three different bushing sizes available for Ultralight tuning keys.

.618" 15.7mm
    .660" 16.7mm
    .700" 17.7mm

0.618"(15.7mm) is intended for a smaller bore size of 16mm. Examples of basses that utilize this particular bushing include Fender U.S.A, Lakland Skyline or any basses built with the Hipshot Lic. Ultralight 1/2" tuning keys.

0.660"(16.7mm) is the standard bushing size that comes supplied with the US made Ultralight tuning keys. Fits many basses with 17 - 17.5mm bore hole.

0.700"(17.7mm) is intended for the larger bore hold found on many Made In Mexico Fender basses, or any bass that utilizes a 18mm bore hole.

I didn't know Hipshot makes oversized bushings. That opens up options for installing them on already drilled necks in the future. Thanks for that.

I will followup after I get them. Its kind of strange they don't let you know what bushings come with the set your ordering. But, hay I just spent another 20 bucks on bushings (I got a black set and a silver set).

3/20 update: just a pic of the new and old bushing.
I had a problem installing the first one. It stripped the first couple of threads when I went to tighten it down. It seems it barely is able to reach the threads to grab. The next three went ok. I believe the issue is the shoulder on the new bushing is thicker and the reach is not as long. I also believe the head stock width on Warmoth neck is a little on the thicker side compared to average size. I just used the original bushing setup on the stripped one and it seems to be fine. They all lined up well and I didn't sense any movement when I set the bass up It should be good to go. I think in the future I may stay away from the hipshots. They don't seem to be an easy install with the Warmth necks. Hay at least I didn't screw it up.  :turtle:

Attachments

• 20190320_164533.jpg
    20190320_164533.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 210
  • 20190320_214806.jpg
    20190320_214806.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
Back