Try-and-return Warmoth necks—don’t shoot the newbie!

easymeow

Researching my first build, so apologies if question is dumb or been asked and answered (though I did try the search first).
Looking to build Jazzmaster style with a chunky neck. Really like the neck on Fender’s new American Original, though would prefer a wee bit less shoulder. Warmoth’s Fatneck, Boatneck, and SRV all look promising. Would I be out of line under Warmoth’s return policy (and general good citizen etiquette) to order all three to try out and return? I’ll be getting basic meat-and-potatoes maple neck and rosewood fretboard, so I wouldn’t figure they’d be terrible difficult for Warmoth to resell.
Thanks!

Returns are for when something is wrong with it. If you just don't like it,  but there's nothing wrong - then you takes your lumps.

I too went through several profiles until I found what I liked.  Note that you'll have to string them up and play them before you'll really know if they work for you, which I believe means that you'll violate the warranty and make it so they can't be returned.

With my 'trial' necks, I didn't bother trying to return them - I just sold them off.

Not too many vendors let you buy stuff on spec.  Especially, when it comes things like art or semi-custom built stuff, even a "meat and potatoes" neck is not like a microwave bought at Costco. 

It really comes down to "would you want to buy a neck someone else tried out, but was sold as new?

Not to give anyone bad ideas, but if you thought you might be selling it as "strung and played for half an hour. Not my thing" the antirotation holes could be left until you made up your mind.

If WM issues an RMA# for the reason you state, that's their decision.  Etiquette-wise, though, that could be questionable and stretching their return policy a bit farther than intended.

According to the return policy, you pretty much open the box, put the neck in your hand, determine whether you like it or not and put it back in the box.  I know I personally might have my first impressions but I don't think I could accurately judge the quality & shape of a neck in just that single, brief, and out-of-context evaluation.

In my personal opinion, I feel that listing it on eBay or Reverb after properly trying it out and accepting you'd likely only get back 50-60% of the price would be more ethical.  But again, if WM goes ahead and issues you an RMA# for it anyway, who am I to judge?

Or maybe even use one of those necks as an opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone.  A mutual friend once offered my lead guitar player and me an opportunity to buy her acoustic guitar that she just lost interest in.  He tried it and hated it (boat neck).  I loved it.  It suited my playing style more than his, and to me, chords felt more natural and comfortable, so I bought it for $50 (ended up donating it years later when I was trying to "downsize my guitar collection"  :toothy12: yeah, look where I am today......on the Unofficial Warmoth forum talking about building more and more instruments.....)

Ordering three custom necks with the intention of returning two would not be ethical. (Also, consumer law where I live would allow Warmoth to deny the return. I don't know know what the situation is in Warmoth's jurisdiction)

Ordering three off-the-shelf necks with the intention of returning two would be ethical. (Consumer law - again where I live - would mandate that Warmoth accept such a return, if your evaluation of the necks has not decreased their value. In my view, the value decreases as soon as you do anything other than just touching the neck)

Maybe Warmoth is fine with building three necks and having you send back two. Can you get prior permission from them? Then there is no problem.

Maybe Warmoth has some sample necks knocking about the shop for this specific purpose, which they can send to you to try out?

Another option is to get the biggest profile, the fatneck, in a roasted maple or some other material that doesn't require finish. You could string it up and try it out for a while. If you think it's too big, you could take it off and sand it down and try the process again. Repeat until you like the results and then take measurements. It wouldn't be easy, but you should eventually get what you want with one neck.

Michael

Reprofiling necks has been discussed and discouraged in the past. The truss rod can be close in some profiles. It's a ton of work with no guarantees, you've voided the warranty, and if you don't like the results - you're kinda stuck - better to take the resale hit and try again.

yo this is a great idea

When 'raunts (restaurants) re-open ill just order 3 meals and send back the 2 i dont want

jk I'm just playing around lol

BroccoliRob said:
yo this is a great idea

When 'raunts (restaurants) re-open ill just order 3 meals and send back the 2 i dont want

Re-selling meals would be a health code violation, so not really an apples-to-apples comparison. Many products are resold after being returned, often with a re-shelving fee.
Though I understand your point. I just like my analogies to hold up weight under water.

I was kind of in the same boat. Had a couple Standard Thin necks, but they weren't really my thing. Was afraid to take the leap but I ended up finding a neck that I loved in the showcase, but it had the Fatback contour. Decided to risk it and I love it! I'm not a fan of necks with a V shape on the back, so I thought the Fatback or 59 would be my best bet. I had a couple of each now, but prefer the Fatback!

If you find a maple neck on the showcase without a finish it's usually around $200-$250. Not too awful (compared to what a custom neck would be) for just testing out. Then sign on to the forums here, be honest about how little play time it got, and sell it for a $50-$75 loss! Or, better yet, keep it as an excuse to do a whole new build  :icon_biggrin:

easymeow said:
BroccoliRob said:
yo this is a great idea

Re-selling meals would be a health code violation, so not really an apples-to-apples comparison. Many products are resold after being returned, often with a re-shelving fee.
Though I understand your point. I just like my analogies to hold up weight under water.

I'm not a big fan of holding anything since it sounds like work. and unlike many ppl (people) who are afraid of heights, i am afraid of depths so u wont be finding me underwater any time soon.

in the end, choice is among life's greatest agonies. but here in da 1st world its an agony we impose on ourselves. what a #luxury

easymeow said:
BroccoliRob said:
yo this is a great idea

You've not yet familiarized yourself with BroccoliRob. :)

NedRyerson said:
easymeow said:
BroccoliRob said:
yo this is a great idea

You've not yet familiarized yourself with BroccoliRob. :)

Yup. My advice with the B-Rob:  Just Roll With It.

Back